Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I've taken countless road trips in my Model S. Aprox 85k miles (of my total of 136k) were all long road trips using Superchargers. Before every road trip I plan it using mostly EVTripplanner.com. I juist want to get an idea of the whole trip. I don't expect it to be very accurate. This weekend we took another road trip and this time I wanted to see how close the planning tool was compared to reality.

The planner predicted 5:25 driving and 1:25 charging time.
Reality was: 5:30 driving and 1:22 charging.

I think that's as close as it gets! The speed multiplier is an important factor. I tend to go a little faster than the average so I enter 1.1. I have also created my own EV model. It's basically just the normal Model S 85 that I own but I adjusted the usable energy capacity of the battery to match my degradation. The other values are just best guesses and that's good enough.

Evtripplanner.PNG

That's good to know. I'm getting ready to leave tomorrow heading to Myrtle Beach SC. I've been looking at ev trip planner for a while now. One thing that I wanted to factor in is rated range required for take off. Now, being new to range planning, when I'm at a super charger, I look at miles needed to make it to the next leg. I factor in how many miles I want to have in reserve and how many miles to buffer for highway speeds and then when my rated range meets that equation, I take off. So, looking at all these stops and charge points, I wanted to come up with a number that is my take off range. See link as my guide.

Like you, I used the 1.1 as my speed and came up with rated miles per each leg. I calculated that number + 15pct or 30 miles to come up with my rated miles I need to see before launch. So at start, I would want to see 165 and then I should have enough to make it to the next leg. Charging at first stop, I would need 127 before I take off and so forth. I know I may be looking at this much different than most but I felt, if I see that number on the dash, that should get me to my next stop using 1.1 speed with 30 miles buffer at next stop.

First real trip for us in our Tesla. Can't wait, dream come true. I love the planing stage of trips too. Reminds me of the days of breaking out the maps and atlases ect. You remember trip tickets from AAA? Wonder if they are on board of doing trip tickets for EV cars yet? Humm. I should call them.

Copy of Myrtle Beach trip

Attachments

• Copy of Myrtle Beach trip - Sheet1.pdf
    24.3 KB · Views: 67
Road Trip Route Planner, Map and Trip Guides | Roadtrippers

IMHO, Plan with EVTripper, follow your route with Roadtrippers.
We choose the "Must see" sites and loosely coordinate with charging, considering both Supercharging and Destination charging. We also take a laptop and hit up Roadtrippers while we travel as there are so many sites to see. We do not plan much for places to stay or charging in the beginning. We just do a rough route and ensure charging is available. After that we choose what to see and do as we go.

Why charge at a Supercharger when you can charge at the Aquarium?

Reactions: David99