Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pittsburgh to Wytheville in 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking my 90D from 15317 (a bit south of Pittsburgh) to Charleston, SC via Charlotte, NC. The trip should be well-equipped with Superchargers in its later stages, but getting from my home to the Wytheville supercharger is calculated as 104kW by EV Trip Planner (which seems to be down right now). That's the direct route, and I think it makes more sense to do that rather than route that swings way out east as suggested by on-board nav. I don't really think I can get there just by slowing down.

Any tips for charging along that trip that takes I-79 then US-19 and I-77, pretty much straight across West Virginia? It looks like Level 2 is my only option. Plugshare, et al do show a number of chargers, primarily a few different car dealerships.

I have done that route in my Roadster and stopped by Days Hotel in Flatwoods just off 79 who has ample NEMA 14-50 options. If you stop by inquire about Tesla destination charger as they seem open but may need encouragement. Also I would consider Route 19 as it is shorter than taking 79 all the way to 77.

That's helpful, it's 144 miles into my trip and if I have to stop for a few hours, probably a pretty convenient place to do so.

EV Trip Planner is back, phew. I'm playing around with that McMurray, PA - Wytheville, VA Supercharger leg. It's 294 miles. I'm setting the calculator to S85D (though I have a 90D), 19" wheels, 72 in/72 out temps (HVAC off, basically), 200lb payload.

Here's a little look at various speed multipliers-
Multiplier - kWh - Time
0.6 - 67.1 - 7:47
0.7 - 72.3 - 6:40
0.8 - 78.7 - 5:50
0.9 - 86.2 - 5:11
1.0 - 94.8 - 4:40
1.1 - 104.4 - 4:15
1.2 - 115.1 - 3:54

So, if I could drive at the "0.9 speed multiplier" I can do the trip in 5:11 with no HVAC. That doesn't sound really fun but if I compare it to the 1.1 multiplier, I save less than an hour of driving time but would need to charge almost all of that difference between 86 and 104 kWh before arriving at the Supercharger. With Level 2 (50Amp) charging, that would be a minimum of 2 hours, right?

The trip is tomorrow, will be leaving early AM. My (fully charged) car currently thinks I'm 7% of the battery short. My plan is to set Autopilot to the speed limit exactly, range mode, climate off and see how things go. On my way down I've got the Mountaineer Grille, Bridgeport WV and then the Days Hotel in Flatwoods, if it's obvious I'll run short. I've got the Lewis Nissan in Beckley, WV and finally the Mash Fork Campround in Camp Creek, WV further down.

Someday, the middle of West Virginia and the (northernish) middle of Pennsylvania will have some superchargers and the massive holes the the map near my house will be filled it. It's off-topic for this thread but it's baffling there's no good way to get across Pennsylvania on I-80.

I wouldn't say it's a "good" way, but there is a chademo in State College that makes I80 quite possible, especially with the Tannersville SC. Last year I drove straight from NJ to State College and down to Pittsburgh.

This year we stopped in Harrisburg, but I'm not a fan of the PA Turnpike. Hoping we can take i-80 again next year.

How did your trip go?

The trip was great! It's really incredible how much Autopilot reduces the strain of going that kind of distance in a day.

I ended up stopping at the Mountaineer Grill (Bridgeport, WV), which is just 88 miles into the trip. I'd started pretty early, knowing a slow recharge (and therefore nap) was likely and that just seemed like the simplest charging option. I guess I might have gotten slightly more range per hour if I picked one of the options further along. Everything was smooth sailing from there, Supercharging in Wytheville, Charlotte, Santee on my way down, and then an overnight charge in a municipal garage in Charleston nearly topped me off.

On my way back north, I supercharged back up to 100% in Wytheville, and with the car expecting -2% at the end, I crept off. The trip north is a net negative 1200 feet of elevation and therefore easier than the way south. Most of that is a 70mph speed limit and I did basically all of it at 65mph. At lower speed limits I mostly stuck to the posted number. I had Range Mode On, and climate off, or just the fan for some portions.

In total, the trip was 1388.7 miles and 411.3kWh. Paid a total of $13 for charging (just the parking fee in Charleston). When I got home (after a 100% charge) I had 2% remaining on the battery the the car was reading 75.7kWh since the prior charge, having traveled 298.4 miles over 5:09.
IMG_5453.JPG
No problem!

Reactions: Thinkje