Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics/Info: Inside the battery pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's an interesting idea. What inverters are you considering? Outback Radians or something else?

Yes, was talking specifically about Outback Radians, as multiple inverters can be synced together to get multiples of 8KW
most likely 2 would take care of my house, its natural gas heat, hot water and dryer. the largest load is the Oven, and Air Conditioner compressor, and the oven doesn't need to be on "backup power", the AC is also optional, but would be a "nice to have" on backup power.

other than that, its the HPWC @ 80A to charge the Model S, everything else is lights, PC's, furnace blower, washer/dryer motors etc

I'm using the Radians... 8 of them for 64kW total. Enough power for my house as it stands with all electric HVAC, hot water, range, and a HPWC...

I do plan on improving efficiency however with solar hot water and space heating. I'm not 100% sure if I want to move anything to LP...

2014-12-16%2011.22.09-cropped.jpg

Let the games begin...

never mind the pack, how did you get a yellow Model S? :)
(8) Radians, really? 266 Amps, that's huge. I guess if you have an all electric house, does seem like overkill though.

The yellow Model S is my fiance's. It is a wrap. Glossy Yellow Wrap Completed

The decision to do 8 Radians was basically due to the auxiliary heating in the HVAC setup. With the HPWC going and the HVAC aux heat, I'm already at 50kW draw before any other loads. During super cold days the aux heat runs for a few minutes at a time.

Eventually I can scale it down, but, as things stand that's what I need. I currently have 320 amp service to the house. (two 200A service panels fed from a 320A meter box)

The decision to do 8 Radians was basically due to the auxiliary heating in the HVAC setup. With the HPWC going and the HVAC aux heat, I'm already at 50kW draw before any other loads. During super cold days the aux heat runs for a few minutes at a time.
Many people disable the resistance coils on heat pumps to avoid those spikes in demand. If they only turn on for a few minutes at a time, you can probably live without them and save a decent amount of energy and reduce your peak loads, though you may get a bit of cold air during defrost cycles.

Looking forward to the tear down!

Congrats on doing it in one fell swoop. What was the total time, start to finish? Was there a reason you patched the enclosure back up after you were finished?

Total time of the video clocked in at 3 hours 11 minutes, plus some time during cuts where I gathered some things to use (like my air compressor).

I put the top back on with a few screws because the salvage yard was buying the casing back from me since I only needed the modules, fuse, and contactors. I have no use for it otherwise so, no point in keeping it. I'm going to probably build the crate again later also.

Awesome! Was it a D pack or something else?

Was another D pack.

Pack voltage was sitting at 320.5V (3.34V per cell, 20V per module). You can see me take the voltage after I get the first part of the cover peeled back. Pretty dead, but not below 0 miles this time like the last one.