Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking will get a lot worse before it gets better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But @verygreen said that they didn't detect anything.

I have not kept up with that conversation. I doubt it looks that “wide” and far to account for some of its wonky behavior if it was all radar. It’s hard to know for sure if it’s shadows or the objects making the shadows that confuses it.

I personally find it phantom brakes less at night. But it has happened at night too. When that has happened I think it’s sometimes headlights from other cars coming up along the side of you. I find it nearly impossible to predict when it will phantom brake.

Other than saving cost, what is the virtue?
You actually get to put your hardware in 400k cars and collect training data. Can you imagine putting that ugly Lidar on top of S or 3 ?

Cruise proudly says they do 1,400 unprotected left turns a day. Together Teslas are probably doing 400,000 unprotected left turns a day - if each car does even one per day. NN needs lots of data.

You actually get to put your hardware in 400k cars and collect training data. Can you imagine putting that ugly Lidar on top of S or 3 ?

Cruise proudly says they do 1,400 unprotected left turns a day. Together Teslas are probably doing 400,000 unprotected left turns a day - if each car does even one per day.
For how many of those turns does Tesla receive detailed data, including highly accurate location information (to determine the precise trajectories and lanes the drivers chose), oncoming traffic and pedestrians that prevented them from making the turn etc.?
NN needs lots of data.
And yet, Cruise has demonstrated that they can reliably do it autonomously and Tesla has not.

• Helpful
Reactions: rnortman
For how many of those turns does Tesla receive detailed data, including highly accurate location information (to determine the precise trajectories and lanes the drivers chose), oncoming traffic and pedestrians that prevented them from making the turn etc.?
We don't know. We just know they can get as much information as they want.

And yet, Cruise has demonstrated that they can reliably do it autonomously and Tesla has not.
Yet, Cruise has not done one mile of autonomous driving in a commercially available car !

I'd say neither have demonstrated anything until we can actually experience it. Afterall, Musk says unprotected left turns on his car are getting much better.

BTW, are you claiming all the data Tesla can collect is not of any use ? i.e. Tesla's data advantage is useless ?

• Informative
Reactions: emmz0r
We don't know. We just know they can get as much information as they want.

Yet, Cruise has not done one mile of autonomous driving in a commercially available car !

I'd say neither have demonstrated anything until we can actually experience it.
I have experienced it, and so have many others.
BTW, are you claiming all the data Tesla can collect is not of any use ? i.e. Tesla's data advantage is useless ?
I believe the much-vaunted data collection is far less extensive than many believe. There are many factors other than the number of vehicles that limit the amount of telemetry that can actually be collected and processed to a point where it becomes useful training data.

I have experienced it, and so have many others.

When you say "experienced", were you able to drive in a road of your choice without a Cruise guy in the car ? Comparable to the topic of this thread - phantom breaking experienced by many of us when driving using AP, all over the world ?

I believe the much-vaunted data collection is far less extensive than many believe. There are many factors other than the number of vehicles that limit the amount of telemetry that can actually be collected and processed to a point where it becomes useful training data.
Ofcourse the second part is true - but the first part is difficult to pin point. It is not clear how to quantify what others believe and what you believe to be the truth.

Apparently all these companies have 1000+ people in India doing the labeling. So, millions of labeled images per month. The question is how varied is the data ... we'll know in a year if Tesla is better there.

When you say "experienced", were you able to drive in a road of your choice without a Cruise guy in the car ?
Yes. Starting in late 2017, they have occasionally sent out invitations for public tests in SF to the media and certain . We entered an address of our choice and the car took us there (took about 20-30 minutes). It wasn't perfect (the car was often overly cautious), but it handled things like unprotected left turns, jaywalking pedestrians and the usual inner-city chaos without a single intervention by the safety driver. Tesla is nowhere near from what they have publicly shown so far.

• Informative
Yes. Starting in late 2017, they have occasionally sent out invitations for public tests in SF to the media and certain . We entered an address of our choice and the car took us there (took about 20-30 minutes). It wasn't perfect (the car was often overly cautious), but it handled things like unprotected left turns, jaywalking pedestrians and the usual inner-city chaos without a single intervention by the safety driver. Tesla is nowhere near from what they have publicly shown so far.
Got it - so a demo ? You didn't actually drive it ...

Yes, definitely Cruise and Waymo are ahead in demos. Once Tesla released NOA on city with HW3 it would be a good comparison point.

• Disagree
Got it - so a demo ? You didn't actually drive it ...
WTH are you even talking about? You don't drive autonomous vehicles, you ride them. And that's what we did. There was a safety driver, but he didn't have to intervene even once. And it was not a pre-planned route or anything like that. What more do you want?
Once Tesla released NOA on city with HW3 it would be a good comparison point.
Exactly. But I suspect they won't come out of that comparison looking very good.

Yes, definitely Cruise and Waymo are ahead in demos. Once Tesla released NOA on city with HW3 it would be a good comparison point.

I guess the bigger point here is: There seems to be legitimate reason to believe Cruise and Waymo are ahead. Period. In their case we have actual demos and even some riders and rides that we could probably chalk closer to actual use than only demos.

With Tesla we have only Elon’s word on their city driving. As far as I know the Autonomy Investor Day rides didn’t alllow free addresses and travelled in easier suburbia or countryside.

So reasonably it looks like Waymo and Cruise are ahead. Tesla has a story on how their trajectory will surpass others faster in general autonomous driving but so far that is a story not much more.

The latest 16.x updates don’t actually instill much confidence in me seeing how the adjacent cars are making all sorts of priouettes and turning sideways on the IC now. Reliably assessing objects in traffic is paramount to reliable city driving. Again the story that HW3 will make all this better is so far only a story.

Last edited:
So reasonably it looks like Waymo and Cruise are ahead. Tesla has a story on how their trajectory will surpass others faster in general autonomous driving but so far that is a story not much more.
But Cruise and Waymo are geofenced and seem to be stuck in demo mode for too long.

Anyway, the diametrically opposite paths they have chosen makes it all the more interesting.

I’m fairly confident I will be driving with NOA on city roads in my 3 earlier than riding in Cruise/Waymo robotaxis I in my city.