Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking, etc. overflow from 2018.32.2 thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dailo

Jul 22, 2017
Bay Area
Moderator note (bmah): The first 29 posts in this thread were moved from the "Software Update 2018.32.2 ..." thread.

I hope it fixes the phantom braking I've been experiencing everyday so far on 2018.28...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't want phantom braking, downgrade to AP2.0. I have virtually none with my Bosch radar.

Noticing the same. Seems like AP2.5 has more phantom braking than AP2.0 at the time being… I would imagine Tesla more or less forced themselves to enable radar braking before they were really ready on AP2.5 — I would assume that fatal crash in Mountain View investigation is determining that at least part of the contributing cause is radar braking (or the lack thereof) and that car is probably AP2.5.

Unfortunately that's one of the bigger differences between the Conti and Bosch radars — the beam pattern seems totally different, and I'd imagine how it recognizes objects is different too.

Reactions: croman
I've recently experienced a Phantom braking at a spot I never yet had one after passing the spot hundreds of times. On AP2. Remember phantom braking can also be triggered by an update to the autopilot maps layer, which has flags for radar events, ie. markers for where a radar event is to be ignored.
In recent days many people have reported weird map issues and quirkyness. It might well be the are not related to the current software version but to updates to the autopilot maps.

During our recent trip from Seattle to southern California, Crazy Head did a lot of phantom braking. It was mostly due to light conditions e.g. underpasses or dark and light areas caused by building shadows.

Since we might be no more than 2 months out from V9, I'm going to try to ignore the whack job braking and diving for construction areas.
The construction area diving is Crazy Head's favorite game. Wakes me right up. A close second is the whack job braking at 75 MPH with semi right behind me. This results in panicked driver sending car into rocket mode, throwing all manner of crap around in the car, thus waking up 9 year old in back seat.

This is probably reducing my caffeine expense but has the potential for added laundry cost due to human portal release.

It seems the development teams have shifted most of their focus to getting version 9 ready for release. We won't see anything but minor bug fix releases until that drops.
I’m curious what follow distance you all are using, I have very little phantom braking... and I use it a lot. I usually drive between 1-3 follow distance, probably on 1 about 80% of the time.... I like to set a short follow distance and adjust speed to deal with not tailgating.... it seems to allow me to deal with people pulling into my lane with fewer issues. Anyway just curious ....
One note, there is one thing that seems to trigger awkward braking and that is a car traveling in opposite direction, for example turning left in front of me... there is braking about 2 seconds later just after the car has crossed my future path.... it’s annoying but not horrible, and it seems to coincide with improved ability of my car to detect and stop with stationary cars ahead....

I hope it fixes the phantom braking I've been experiencing everyday so far on 2018.28...
having the same phantom braking issue and the car is in SC for the to run diagnostics and try to reproduce it.
I realized this is MS thread and I'm talking about my model 3. :) since I haven't gotten update for my MS for the longest time.
the phantom braking keeps happening while on highway with no cars infront of me, mostly shadow/bridges/trees/underpass..

having the same phantom braking issue and the car is in SC for the to run diagnostics and try to reproduce it.
I realized this is MS thread and I'm talking about my model 3. :) since I haven't gotten update for my MS for the longest time.
the phantom braking keeps happening while on highway with no cars infront of me, mostly shadow/bridges/trees/underpass..

Yeah same thing here. I think it is more likely due to the software update then anything wrong with your car.

Yeah same thing here. I think it is more likely due to the software update then anything wrong with your car.
yeah I'm almost 99% sure it's the software update, the same thing used to happen on early firmwares around January/February.
I think they fixed it on the last major rollout with 2018.21.9, then I got 2018.26.3 and phantom braking is back again, and now still with 2018.28.2.

They started rolling out 2018.32.2 yesterday, so we shall see.

If you don't want phantom braking, downgrade to AP2.0. I have virtually none with my Bosch radar.

I’m curious what follow distance you all are using, I have very little phantom braking... and I use it a lot. I usually drive between 1-3 follow distance, probably on 1 about 80% of the time.... I like to set a short follow distance and adjust speed to deal with not tailgating.... it seems to allow me to deal with people pulling into my lane with fewer issues. Anyway just curious ....
One note, there is one thing that seems to trigger awkward braking and that is a car traveling in opposite direction, for example turning left in front of me... there is braking about 2 seconds later just after the car has crossed my future path.... it’s annoying but not horrible, and it seems to coincide with improved ability of my car to detect and stop with stationary cars ahead....

Well I'm 28.5 and AP2.5 and I've had no Phantom Braking since the update.
I had it twice since I got my Car in May of 2018, both were on 24.1
I use AutoPilot a lot as well, so saying its AP2.5 or 28.5 seems incorrect from my Dataset...

• Helpful
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
By far my biggest issue also lately. Drives me crazy.
And if wife’s onboard with me .......OH BOY....
Yes, autopilot is getting really good... so good that It is hard to tell I’m not driving.... I don’t get phantom stuff but braking awkwardness occ that tips off passengers that the the robot is driving ... I don’t get very many braking issues with short follow distance to 1 or 2

Reactions: PrGrPa