Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Used EV rebate - they need a registration card in my name/address WTF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

So PG&E has a $1k rebate for used EV purchases ($4k if your income is low enough) but 1 of the requirements is they need a registration card in my name and address.

The issue is the previous owner has paid for the registration until May of 2024, I've searched all over DMV's site and there is nothing about getting a replacement registration card when I buy a used car. I already got the title and submitted that to PG&E.

Has anyone dealt with this successfully? There has to be at least 1 person who actually tried to apply for this rebate before running into this issue.

I asked the Center for Sustainable Energy | Clean Energy Nonprofit who are administering the rebate how they expect me to get a registration card in my name and they told me to just get it from the DMV. Very helpful.

So PG&E has a $1k rebate for used EV purchases ($4k if your income is low enough) but 1 of the requirements is they need a registration card in my name and address.

The issue is the previous owner has paid for the registration until May of 2024, I've searched all over DMV's site and there is nothing about getting a replacement registration card when I buy a used car. I already got the title and submitted that to PG&E.

Has anyone dealt with this successfully? There has to be at least 1 person who actually tried to apply for this rebate before running into this issue.

I asked the Center for Sustainable Energy | Clean Energy Nonprofit who are administering the rebate how they expect me to get a registration card in my name and they told me to just get it from the DMV. Very helpful.
Bring your title to dmv and they will get you a correct and new registration.

• Helpful
Reactions: mgs333
Bring your title to dmv and they will get you a correct and new registration.
Thanks, I try to stay as far away from DMV as possible, so I finally found this option online: Online Replacement Sticker or Registration Card

I did have to pay $25 and technically none of the cases apply to me, this is meant for lost/stolen/damaged registration cards. But $25 is worth not going into a DMV, where I might have to pay the $25 anyway.

You should certainly get a new registration card in your name once you report the sale, pay sales tax, and update title with the DMV.
Do you mean it should come automatically or that it's a good idea to proactively get one? I did report the sale, pay the tax and got the new title already but no registration card so I'm carrying around the previous owner's reg card.