Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean before they even announced that any car would get track mode? The first time track mode was mentioned people asked if it would be limited to Model 3s with PUP, and most people thought that it would. And then when Tesla actually announced it, they confirmed that it was limited to the Model 3s with PUP.

You can't reasonably expect Tesla to just give you anything that they release after you purchase your car just because you would have bought it had it been offered to you at the time.

I think you answered your own question then. Why didn’t someone order PUP if they wanted track mode? It wasn’t announced at the time of delivery.

I don’t think you should argue what most people thought. Looking at that twitter thread, people thought all performance versions would get it. Poor communication from Tesla is why people didn’t make better decisions. Everyone had to make the best decision they could based off little information. Hindsight is 2020.

I think you can reasonably expect all performance models to receive something if the company previously mentioned a feature and didn’t differentiate that only one add on would receive it by the time you took delivery.

I don't want to be a finicial burden on Tesla. All I want honestly is track mode. The hardware I can live with out. I still have faith in Elon. But I do have to admit, communication from Tesla would make things so much better.

Tesla did say that they would offer an aftermarket PUP package to enable track mode on the P3D- cars. They just didn't say what it would be, when it would be available, or how much it will cost.

I would hope that they wouldn't force the Tesla 20" wheels on you as long as you provide your own wheels that will fit over the PUP brakes. (That should bring the price of the retrofit down quite a bit.)

Tesla did say that they would offer an aftermarket PUP package to enable track mode on the P3D- cars. They just didn't say what it would be, when it would be available, or how much it will cost.

I would hope that they wouldn't force the Tesla 20" wheels on you as long as you provide your own wheels that will fit over the PUP brakes. (That should bring the price of the retrofit down quite a bit.)

Yup, I agree with this. Hopefully we can order the 19” Chinese wheels with aeros. I’m hoping they actually follow through with the aftermarket PUP.

Reactions: Roys3
I am also a P3D- owner, but to be fair the reason the trade of FUSC for 5K refund exists as opposed to the refund on top of what you already have is because Elon's argument was that, sure you paid more before the price drop but you have FUSC which new buyers don't have hence it evens out with the 5K price drop. When people complained that they rather have the deal of the new buyers instead of FUSC, Elon said he would do the trade since he was arguing that both options are of equal value. Now for some of us, they are not of equal value so we prefer the 5K back. But that doesn't mean you can have the best of both worlds by keeping the FUSC and getting the 5K refund. If that were the case you would have a better deal than the new buyers and that is not what Elon was trying to remedy.

So the fair thing to do is get one or the other but not both. It looks like the P3D+ group are getting to choose which they want while the P3D- are given no choice by being forced to keep the arguably inferior FUSC option or get it if they never had it.
What? The poor new buyers, who get delivery in 4-8 weeks, have no FUSC? :eek: Oh, no!
Why is it so important to have them equal to us? I paid the same price as them (more actually) and waited forever. I just want the equivalent car for the price. A little contactually incentivised FUSC should not be counted against me. (Even if Elon gifts it to everyone else.)

I am also a P3D- owner, but to be fair the reason the trade of FUSC for 5K refund exists as opposed to the refund on top of what you already have is because Elon's argument was that, sure you paid more before the price drop but you have FUSC which new buyers don't have hence it evens out with the 5K price drop. When people complained that they rather have the deal of the new buyers instead of FUSC, Elon said he would do the trade since he was arguing that both options are of equal value. Now for some of us, they are not of equal value so we prefer the 5K back. But that doesn't mean you can have the best of both worlds by keeping the FUSC and getting the 5K refund. If that were the case you would have a better deal than the new buyers and that is not what Elon was trying to remedy.

So the fair thing to do is get one or the other but not both. It looks like the P3D+ group are getting to choose which they want while the P3D- are given no choice by being forced to keep the arguably inferior FUSC option or get it if they never had it.
Yes, that's my point. But the original statement I was addressing was that Elon gave us all FUSC instead of 5k due to the price drop. That's not really the case, we already had it, there has been nothing given to P3D-. FUSC isn't worth nearly 5k. Not even $2500, and probably not even $1000 for me. It was a nice incentive for waiting so long, but not equal to PUP if you charge at home.

Once again poor communication from Tesla. They could do the infamous 6 months maybe 1year definitely crap.

I understand Tesla has much bigger fish to fry and this is a total first world problem for me.

But it sure is eating away at my dream of having a great track day in my car. I guess it's just the same as when I ordered the car as I figured it might be the case due to the front motor.

Here was my 3P+ Decision Matrix:

Pros:
Rice package of spoiler and pedals.
Factory warrantied suspension and big brake kit.
Guaranteed eligibility for all performance related additions and modifications coming down the line.

Cons:
$5,000 more base price. More tax, more registration, probably more insurance.
20" inch wheels that I don't really want and will cost me more to either keep feeding the 3P+ with expensive, more fragile tires with less range. Or spend thousands more to swap to a 18" configuration.

3P- Decision Matrix

Pros:
$5,000 cheaper.
Less expense and waste to modify car as desired.
18" Aero wheels is best range, and flexibility from the factory.

Cons:
Gamble that Tesla might limit the 3P- cars which were not $5,000 more and did not have a factory warrantied performance setup. Since the 3P+ didn't get much in exchange for $5,000, Tesla might eventually make it worth while post delivery.

--
I did this analysis on June 26th or so. I went with 3P+ mainly for guaranteed eligibility for all performance related additions and modifications coming down the line.

If you wanted the performance upgrade/options, and track mode, then why didn't you order the PUP? Or are you saying you only want them now that you think you can extort Tesla into giving them to you for free?

When I ordered Track Mode was not listed with the PUP. TM was stated as being for Performance (the 11k upgrade). The brakes said “red” for PUP and that was it, 2pc rotors but no size difference. Model S has red brakes on the P cars, are those any different? It looked like an appearance pack to me and MPP looked like they had a real upgrade in the works. When I ordered they said all P get TM, at delivery they said all P get TM, Elon said all P get TM. The day after I took delivery there was a P at the delivery center that had the PUP and I took pics of the brakes and I could tell the rears were larger. That was when I got worried, but what to do, nobody had TM yet, so how could you argue that you were not going to get it? I am not alone either many people with 3P- thought exactly the same.

Pros:
Guaranteed eligibility for all performance related additions and modifications coming down the line.

Cons:
20" inch wheels that I don't really want and will cost me more to either keep feeding the 3P+ with expensive, more fragile tires with less range. Or spend thousands more to swap to a 18" configuration.

3P- Decision Matrix

Pros:
$5,000 cheaper.

Cons:
Gamble that Tesla might limit the 3P- cars which were not $5,000 more and did not have a factory warrantied performance setup. Since the 3P+ didn't get much in exchange for $5,000, Tesla might eventually make it worth while post delivery.

--
I did this analysis on June 26th or so. I went with 3P+ mainly for guaranteed eligibility for all performance related additions and modifications coming down the line.
You my friend, are brighter than me. I never played the Tesla game before.

You my friend, are brighter than me. I never played the Tesla game before.
I never played the new car game before - shocking!
I have played the used car game, at dealers and private - no problem...
OK, I understand this ain't like other new cars - far superior! The admin. - far inferior?
You tell me: Is my shock and dismay justified?

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie and Lucky13
I feel the sentiment of the early PM3- buyers, I thought I was making a sound decision for an occasional fun track car based on all the information I could obtain. The Tesla PUP sounded like a cosmetic bling package compared to what MPP was working on in July. After having the car for a couple weeks I recall listening to RideTheLightening podcast about getting the PUP in case Tesla gives them special treatment, that was my oh crap moment.

I think all Performance buyers + or - thought they were getting TM. Why? Because TM was not listed as the #1 item on the list of PUP features and it should have been, because ALL of us really want it (TM was my tipping point). + wanted to be double sure or they liked the parts, - was sure and thought they could get better track parts later, but liked getting max efficiency up front. My guess is that very few minus cars would have been sold if they had listed TM with PUP because then it would not have been Performance but 3D+ and therfore the confusion was on purpose.

Reactions: Perry and Roys3

Pros:

Cons:

3P- Decision Matrix

Pros:
$5,000 cheaper.

Cons:

--
I call BS. You made this up with hindsight.

Someone correct me if I have sequence wrong:

Tesla tweets Track mode only on PUP

Tesla tweets after market PUP to be available after intro of track mode

Musk tweets all Ps to get track mode

When asked if that included non PUP, Musk said yes, all Ps.

Why is this thread assuming non PUP will not get track mode when latest official word is they will??

Why is this thread assuming non PUP will not get track mode when latest official word is they will??
Because we've lost some trust in Tesla? :D I'm still (slightly) hopeful...

Also, from a technical perspective, it remains to be seen what kind of track mode they can accomplish without hardware upgrades.
I think we might be pleasantly surprised! Tesla tech can perform miracles!

PS: It'll be something either pretty generic, or maybe even customizable! - so people who have improved their cars already with their own upgrades will see the benefit!

Last edited:
I call BS. You made this up with hindsight.

Wow amazing. He has 5000 posts and you know them all!o_O

@MP3Mike knows his stuff. I think about any position he slaps the 'disagree' with on me for sure.

I don't get why you would just take a well reasoned post I put time and thought into and just call it BS in hindsight? I work with applied game theory everyday, anticipating the actions a company might take and advising clients appropriately. I'm not always right, but right enough to make a living off of it.

I try to share that knowledge and reasoning when I can with the TMC base so they can benefit.

So yeah, June 10th even I was calling for the Performance Model 3 not having enough meat for the price and made some suggestions for Tesla. If you took away the non serious items (chrome delete, matte paint, lighted logo) Tesla ended up adding in the rest!

I'm giving you $20,000 extra regardless Elon BUT it would be nice if..

• Love
Reactions: Msjulie and P85_DA

It wasn't the plan originally to bring track mode to 3P-.

It doesn't take deep analytical skills to see that Tesla built/validated everything on the 3P+ and you never saw any "track demos" with cars that share the same brakes, wheels, tires and suspension as the 3MR.

It wasn't just "general software" you can just throw on any Tesla. By that logic, AWD should be able to get track mode software as well.

Musk *might* just release the software just to appease the whiners but that wasn't the plan. The rational move actually is to ignore the noise and prioritize what will benefit the most amount of people.

-Maximum production ramp scaling up instead of out domestically.
-Production overseas to minimize tariffs/duties and reduction of supply chain logistics.
-Solidifying EAP
-HW3 chip release

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA