Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance 21" wheels in snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered 17in 5x120 bolt pattern 42 mm +offset ("BMW") 73mm centerbore aftermarket rims 17" x 7.5". Stock is 40mm but the 2 mm move outward corrects use of slightly narrower rims up front. Thus steering should remain stock.

You think 17in BMW rims will clear the brake calipers ? Did you get this info from an "official" source ? Would love to keep my beemers wheels as winter wheels ...

You think 17in BMW rims will clear the brake calipers ? Did you get this info from an "official" source ? Would love to keep my beemers wheels as winter wheels ...

I'm going by offset spec for the ModelS which someone provided here. Not all BMWs have the same offset. My ModelS might not even accept a 42+ offset(!!), one never knows do one?? But I'm taking my best (cheap) shot here, just sos I can take delivery with a full set of snows all set & ready in case they are necessary on that particular day.

I'm projecting the ~750 rev/mile spec from a by-size standard spec chart for the ModelS rubber, both 21 & 19in. But 750 is not a TM benchmark, who knows what they are going by. If this ploy blows up in my face I have only 115x4 invested in the rims so no biggie.

So far the ModelS drivers all have better things to do than muck around with this greaser stuff, and who can blame them.
--

What does Billy Bob's tire shop charge to put your car up on a lift and swap four wheels? Can't imagine it's much. Probably not worth it to me to trek to the Tesla service center for this. For that matter, it shouldn't take an hour to do it myself even if I have to jack up the car one corner at a time. Then I don't have to load those heavy, dirty things into my nice clean Model S and shlep them around.

Bear in mind that a wider offset is the same as adding additional weight to the "axle" as far as the wheel bearings are concerned. Rule of thumb is one inch (25.4 mm) wider is the same as adding 1000 lb. (450 kg).

But I'm using 7.5in rims vs stock 8in (front) & 9in (rear) so my guess is the 2mm wider stance will result in zero steering change. Also 2mm / 25.4 = 0.08(!)

Clearance is always in doubt until you actually mount the new rims. Offset spec of new rims isn't proof enough since inside geometry of rims can vary (my fingers crossed).
--

My local Toyota dealer charges 20$ for changing a complete set of wheels. Totally not worth doing it myself at that price!

What does Billy Bob's tire shop charge to put your car up on a lift and swap four wheels? Can't imagine it's much. Probably not worth it to me to trek to the Tesla service center for this. For that matter, it shouldn't take an hour to do it myself even if I have to jack up the car one corner at a time. Then I don't have to load those heavy, dirty things into my nice clean Model S and shlep them around.

What if we get a flat or need a tire repaired...are we supposed to take it into Tesla for something a tire shop can handle? I'll surely be swapping my own winter/summer wheels thank you very much. I don't understand why a Ranger can't do a tire rotation on site either. It takes one floor jack and two jack stands, or just one jack stand if you feel daring.

The only catch is resetting the tire pressure monitor sensors, but there should be an option in the software for this. Whenever I swap the wheels on our MINI it takes 10 seconds to access the setup options and choose Reset TPMS. The Model S could probably detect the new sensors and do the reset automatically.

I would recommend that everyone be very,very careful about having the local tire shop raise your Model S unless you show them the lift points and stand there until they correctly position the lift. I wouldn't want to crimp my battery.

The only catch is resetting the tire pressure monitor sensors, but there should be an option in the software for this. Whenever I swap the wheels on our MINI it takes 10 seconds to access the setup options and choose Reset TPMS. The Model S could probably detect the new sensors and do the reset automatically.

I was given to understand that Model S does not display the pressure in each tire and only flashes a light if "one or more" tires is low. With that being the case, there may be no need to re-set the sensors.

My current car can display the actual pressure in each tire, so when you rotate, you have to tell the car which tire is where.

I was given to understand that Model S does not display the pressure in each tire and only flashes a light if "one or more" tires is low. With that being the case, there may be no need to re-set the sensors.

My current car can display the actual pressure in each tire, so when you rotate, you have to tell the car which tire is where.

Are you sure that's correct? Given the TPM technology it would be odd for an EV not to report actual pressure. I always like to keep my tire pressures within a pound or two of spec, so that won't obviate the need for frequent manual checks, unless we can set the low threshold within a narrow range. Anyone else know?

Are you sure that's correct? Given the TPM technology it would be odd for an EV not to report actual pressure. I always like to keep my tire pressures within a pound or two of spec, so that won't obviate the need for frequent manual checks, unless we can set the low threshold within a narrow range. Anyone else know?

The regulations probably say that you have to have a warning light. There's no reason why a numeric readout couldn't also be provided. I don't know whether you can adjust the TPMS in the Tesla the way you can in the Prius. If you can't, it will probably be in some future release, or in an App after the SDK becomes real.

My old Nissan reported pressures for each tire, but you had no idea which one was which. They would randomly rotate around the display every time you started the car. But that was okay, because at least you could check the pressures and decide if you needed to take action.

The regulations probably say that you have to have a warning light. There's no reason why a numeric readout couldn't also be provided. I don't know whether you can adjust the TPMS in the Tesla the way you can in the Prius. If you can't, it will probably be in some future release, or in an App after the SDK becomes real.

The readout is actually useful. I had a low pressure light come on last winter and flipped to the display to discover it was my right rear. I wanted to know "how long" I had beore pulling over. I could see I was losing about 1 PSI / minute, so made haste to get off at the next exit.

I hope Tesla offers this in some future software update too.

So I'm getting the 21in performance tires, but I do live in Colorado. Most of the time the streets are clear even in winter, but there are definitely weeks when there is snow/ ice on the road to drive over. I don't really have a long commute and have always had all season tires in the past with my little Saturn. I am sure that driving the performance tires year round here will simply not be a good idea. However, I don't want studs, and am not sure theyre even allowed here in town. My question is this:
Do I really need to get a separate set of 19in rims to get all-year tires? or are they going to come up with a non-studded winter tire for us to get?

Last edited:
I think you really either want to try and get by with 19" all season tires or you'll have to get non-studded winter tires. The 21" performance tires aren't really meant for cold weather even if the streets are clear.

Last edited: