Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM No data fault ID:56

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car has three sources of 12v besides the aux battery. The APS has a main 12v output, a separate APS 12v output that goes to the PEM and there is a small 12v output from the ESS that powers the standby 12v. From my armchair location and limited qualifications it seems those are all working just fine. The TCM communicates with the PEM and the PEM controls the charge port lights so it looks to me like the trouble is internal to the PEM. If it was mine I would take the PEM out and investigate further but you should wait for a recommendation from a professional like Gruber. The Service Center will no doubt say “new PEM”. Hopefully I am wrong.

I have now received a response from Peter Gruber ; "There was a 5V power issue on the PEM’s motherboard around April 26th, 2020 and then by the next day the firmware issues started. You will need to get the PEM repaired." However, being in the UK I don't see how I would easily get the car to Peter. Any further thoughts, ideas ?

I have now received a response from Peter Gruber ; "There was a 5V power issue on the PEM’s motherboard around April 26th, 2020 and then by the next day the firmware issues started. You will need to get the PEM repaired." However, being in the UK I don't see how I would easily get the car to Peter. Any further thoughts, ideas ?

I don't know if it helps. But there is a company called GS Technology here in Switzerland that can repair your PEM. Maybe it's easier to send car or PEM to Switzerland than US.

Reactions: hcsharp
Thanks for the tip. Yes I have found the removal guides and have made contact with GS technology in Switzerland. I also found a thread with someone in Palo Alto who had the exact same fault issue codes. In his case it required 2 replacement PEMs before the issue was finally resolved.

It is not difficult to remove the PEM yourself. There are very good instructions in this forum. Look at the sticky threads at the top of the list of threads. People regularly remove it for annual cleaning. Once removed you can ship it to your preferred repair facility. I believe there is a place in Germany, too.

DIY: Roadster 2.5 PEM cleaning - step by step

Once the PEM is removed is it still possible to monitor the ESS battery charge state?