Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts Replacement Order [question about airbag replacement]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla family. I recently bought a Tesla that was involved in an accident (model 3 long range AWD). I believe I bought all the replacement parts for the car but not the knowledge on order of what to change. Airbag (curtain), pyro fuse, and srs module. My big concern is replacing the airbag then them going off again for some reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Tesla family. I recently bought a Tesla that was involved in an accident (model 3 long range AWD). I believe I bought all the replacement parts for the car but not the knowledge on order of what to change.
[...]Airbag (curtain), pyro fuse, and srs module. My big concern is replacing the airbag then them going off again for some reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wait, you bought a wrecked Tesla?
Was it totaled (Teslas has been known to do naughty things with its cars that got reported as totaled)?

Either way, pyro should go last.
To be 2x safe, unplug 12V battery either way.
Then swap out SRS module and bags. Without 12V, sequence should not matter.
Replace pyro last, plug 12V back, and see if it powers up.

I have installed airbags before. I just wanted to confirm the order. Wasn't sure if it's different with electric cars.

It isn't.
Suspension, brakes, and interior components all follow the same design and supply chain between ICE and EV cars.

Tesla knows when the airbags and pyro goes off. I'm not sure you will be able to supercharge without Tesla recertifying it.

That (highly questionable) course of action by Tesla only applies to cars that were documented as totaled.
If it was merely in an accident (big IF), then no adverse action from Tesla should be forthcoming.

Airbag systems contain explosive devices.
Untrained personnel should steer clear .

Without 12V, it's as safe as any model rocket motor without ignitor and no source of ignition.
Visual illustration on swapping out bags below:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That (highly questionable) course of action by Tesla only applies to cars that were documented as totaled.
If it was merely in an accident (big IF), then no adverse action from Tesla should be forthcoming.

Tesla called me about 30 seconds after my accident. I asked them why they called, and they said - Pyro alarm. My airbags didn't get triggered/deployed.

Upvote 0
No it is not. Airbag deployed so pyro fuse, module, impact sensors and seatbelts need to be replaced.
I really appreciate the knowledge sharing going on in here, I used to work in an auto salvage (junk yard) and have lots of experience with live airbags and basically anything to do with disassembling a car and of course re-assembling, BUT..... it would be so very helpful if there was a thread that was simply "How to get a salvaged Tesla operational again" because mine is actually pretty minimal with body damage, Hood, Fender, Headlight, windshield, sunroof...and ALL the airbags and seatbelt tensioner....but I replaced the Pyro fuse thinking I would be able to at least move the vehicle, everything powers up with the 12volt and the main battery shows 80% charge still, but it will not allow charging, and it will not engage motors.

Upvote 0