Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking in a tight garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We always backed fire trucks in so that we can get to a call quickly. But I always found it easier to park backing in.

As a crutch with the fire truck, we had a white T on the ground where the tire should stop. The top of the T is parallel to the tire. The downward bar shows the center point once parked.

usually we placed a water jug on the junction of the T to make it easier. Perfect parking job has the sidewall just brushing up against the jug. it’s all visible in the side view mirrors.

Personally, I find it easier to back in than parking pulling forward. Backing in provides the side mirrors in addition to the cameras.

Backing it in also let's me get closer to the wall to provide more clearance on my driver's side
Just noticed you have an SQ5...I came from an 18 SQ5...:)

I pull into my garage nose first...totally get backing in but I don’t mind pulling in nose first. It’ll force me to better learn the width of the nose.

Reactions: pt19713
I have a very tight garage, and had them lend me a car to test it. It is tight on the sides. As for the length, Ace Hardware sells a wedge sort of stopper that sticks to the garage floor, and I have had one on my cement floor for about five years, and luckily the one I used for my Ford Fusion Energi is just about right for the MY. As to the sides, I folded mirrors, and as I have read the various posts, I wonder if hanging tennis balls along the side wouldn't be a better guide as I pull in. There are, of course, some things along the sides of the garage, and the warnings are going off as I pulled in, so some sort of simple guide like tennis balls might be the easy answer.

With the cameras on our cars I think you could argue that you have better visibility when backing in than you do when pulling in nose first. With the rear camera and side repeaters visible onscreen, I can definitely maneuver into a tight space with more confidence then I can pulling forward.

Well perhaps, YMMV I think. For me, the front distance sensor is all I need to make sure I’m all the way in. And if visibility is so much better backwards, then should we start driving everywhere backwards? :)

What would be really nice is if the car could remember your specific parking location in 3D, all the immovable items (walls, doors, shelves, etc) could be memorized. The car could determine it's location by it's relationship to those particular items, then find what additional items are present and determine the best way to park in the predesignated location of the 3D map.

Oh, and do it smoothly and quickly.

Just dreamin!

Well perhaps, YMMV I think. For me, the front distance sensor is all I need to make sure I’m all the way in. And if visibility is so much better backwards, then should we start driving everywhere backwards? :)

The problem with the front distance sensor is that after you get within 12” of an object it just says STOP, and stops the distance from object countdown. At least that’s what I recall when I test drove a MY into my garage last month (got a VIN 11/6, waiting). At least my tech-poor 2016 Audi q3 will show a moving red line graphic closing in on the bumper the closer I get. MY offers no front object assistance if you need to park less than 12” from an object. And I need to park about 5-6” from the front steps of my garage to fit the MY in.

As for parking close to one side of the garage (which I also have to do), I’ve got my fingers crossed for birds eye view coming out eventually to make that a more comfortable process. Musk mentioned it in a tweet 10/2, but who knows when.

The classic solution is to hang an old tennis ball from the ceiling so it just hits the Windshield straight ahead of the driver. when you are in the right spot. Should be able to judge left and right as well as how far in. Could hang one on the side also I suppose but after a few times you can judge pretty close. I have some shop tools on the side and only have about 3 inches clearance.
I did that but it didn't last long (we have a labrador retreiver) so I got one of those laser lights with two nozzles and use it to position both cars in a fairly tight two stall garage. It works pretty well.

• Informative
Reactions: Koolio46
Look up Auto Park .. and yes it works, though YMMV .. it has to “find” a parking space it likes first, which can be hit or miss.
Here's the part where the owners manual mentions double-pressing the Park button. It's in the section, Starting Summon Before Exiting the Vehicle.

I also remember seeing this in a YouTube video...it was named something like 'top 10 model 3 tips'.

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 6.41.11 PM.png

Here's the part where the owners manual mentions double-pressing the Park button. It's in the section, Starting Summon Before Exiting the Vehicle.

I also remember seeing this in a YouTube video...it was named something like 'top 10 model 3 tips'.

View attachment 606991
So you have to leave? I know I'd be a lot happier if the first couple (hundred?) times I was still in the car when it tried to enter my junk infested garage with a couple inches at the door.

So you have to leave? I know I'd be a lot happier if the first couple (hundred?) times I was still in the car when it tried to enter my junk infested garage with a couple inches at the door.

No your dont have to leave, that's just one way to start it. Basically all you do is this:

-- Drive the car slowly along next to potential tasing spots (parallel or back-in).
-- Watch for a circular "P" icon that pops up in the driving display (next to the car).
-- Stop the car, tap the "P" icon, and follow the on-screen directions.

No your dont have to leave, that's just one way to start it. Basically all you do is this:

-- Drive the car slowly along next to potential tasing spots (parallel or back-in).
-- Watch for a circular "P" icon that pops up in the driving display (next to the car).
-- Stop the car, tap the "P" icon, and follow the on-screen directions.
Thanks
I'll have to give it a try when the rain lets up

Everyone is being too complicated.:) I discovered the secret while navigating a Model X in streets in Bergamo, Italy that were only a few Centimeters wider than the car. If you look closely at the screen you'll see the sensors begin to show your clearance on each side with red 'slashes' on each side. Soon they will have constant sounds warning of close margins. Then the screen will begin to show the measured clearances, I saw them in CM but I'm sure they work in Imperial measure also. Those magic indications allowed me to navigate streets only 15 cm wider than the car without a mark. They also allowed me to park in an ancient parking garage that was about the width and length of the car, a trifle wider once I passed the critical entrance so I could exit normally.

That always works, but does require attentiveness and a certain sense of desperation...

I posted photos of some of that elsewhere. As daily matter those aids should easily suffice, especially once you become adjusted to them.