Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Brake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like a silly question but, I read in the manual that you need to press and hold the parking button in rather than just quickly pressing it to engage the parking brake - according to the manual.

I’ve been pulling on to my drive and just simply pressing the button once/quickly which seems fine.

What is the correct way? On my ICE cars, pressing the parking button would engage the electronic parking brake which you could hear engaging etc - by pressing the button once, I don’t hear this on my Y?

Thanks.

Never noticed a need to hold the button.
One press is all I’ve ever needed if the car is stationary.
That’s what I’ve been doing over the last few days since I collected it. But then read that in the manual - it mentions specifically if on a hill to hold the parking button to engage the parking brake. From what I understanding, pressing the button once uses the brakes to hold the car and pressing/holding uses the electronic parking brake?

The Model Y manual does indeed say to press and hold the Parking Brake silver switch to engage the separate parking brake system. Then to disengage, hold brake pedal pressure and press parking brake once. Vehicle Hold is the same as other models, requiring additional brake pedal application to engage - and that's the one to use when stopped briefly on an incline. Vehicle Hold mode transitions automatically to Parking Mode after ~10 minutes.

That doesn’t sound like what I’ve experienced over the last 3 years.
One press of the button engages the parking brake (you hear the whining motor thing) and switches the car to P mode. I’ve never needed to hold it.
Hill stop does use the foot brakes and is applied whenever the car comes to a complete standstill whilst in D mode (I have one pedal driving enabled).

Maybe it just says “press and hold” to ensure a firm press and reduce the chances of mistakes?
If you open the driver door the car engages the parking brake and goes into P mode as well, by the way.

Obviously the manual is the authoritative source of knowledge, so when in doubt do what it says :)

That doesn’t sound like what I’ve experienced over the last 3 years.
One press of the button engages the parking brake (you hear the whining motor thing) and switches the car to P mode. I’ve never needed to hold it.
Hill stop does use the foot brakes and is applied whenever the car comes to a complete standstill whilst in D mode (I have one pedal driving enabled).

Maybe it just says “press and hold” to ensure a firm press and reduce the chances of mistakes?
If you open the driver door the car engages the parking brake and goes into P mode as well, by the way.

Obviously the manual is the authoritative source of knowledge, so when in doubt do what it says :)
This is what it says:

"You can also engage the parking brake by pressing and holding the button on the end of the drive stalk while in Park. When you manually apply the parking brake using the touchscreen, or by pressing and holding the button on the end of the drive stalk when in Park, the red parking brake indicator lights up on the touchscreen."

Specifically pressing and holding the button - I tried this morning after the school run and the brake pedal moves briefly.

I never press and hold but I do recall trying it in the Lake District last summer and I think it seemed to engage a slightly different on screen symbol.

As others have said though, the parking brake must be being applied even in conventional ‘Park’.

Reactions: init6
I heard somewhere that press and hold engages it more firmly. Maybe for steep hills?
Also if you hold it a really long time it cycles on and off. Its some type of reset. I discovered this on a call to breakdown after my handbrake failed on one side. Did not help in my case but good to know for future

I think I'm going to just get used to pressing and holding when parking - don't want to risk the call rolling if parked on a hill etc.
Most of us have been NOT doing that for years and not heard of anyone losing a car so far so I would not worry about it too much. Usually I just open the door and it does it for me. but if a short press is not applying it properly but is showing the P symbol but then allows cars to roll away then I think Tesla would have a class action lawsuit on their hands pretty quickly.

Reactions: Peteski
I just use the accelerator pedal as it’s set to ‘hold’ when on a hill and tap the park button when parking. I don’t think that I’ve used the brake pedal in the two weeks that I’ve owned it!
It's great, one pedal driving, isn't it? Don't go too long without giving your brakes a good exercise, though, especially in winter. An occasional emergency stop on a quiet road will keep the discs and callipers up to scratch (no pun intended!).

Reactions: Undecided_2
It's great, one pedal driving, isn't it? Don't go too long without giving your brakes a good exercise, though, especially in winter. An occasional emergency stop on a quiet road will keep the discs and callipers up to scratch (no pun intended!).
Its not just that. when I got mine I went for a long drive in cold wet weather. over took something nipped into a space between him and the car in front of him and almost hit the one in front when I put on the friction brakes. Probably not been used for 50 miles. Stone cold, soaking wet and as a result not nearly as responsive as I was expecting

I think I'm going to just get used to pressing and holding when parking - don't want to risk the call rolling if parked on a hill etc.

Press and hold brake pedal (to engage Hill Hold)? or press the stalk "Park" button? (Don't think the "hold" is needed for the Park button).

Hill Hold engaged by a hefty press of brake pedal.

I do use the Hill Hold when stationary (even though the car is stopped on "Regen", and even if the car is on the flat) in circumstances where I want to be sure that my brake lights are on - to warning traffic finding me unexpectedly stationary.

I think (not checked recently) that Hill Hold is released by "pressing a pedal" - that includes the brake pedal. So if I've got that right then accidentally nudging either pedal will disengage Hill Hold.

EDIT: Now realise that I missed some earlier messages in this mornings outage.

I am now understanding that "Press and hold Park Button" = Engage parking brake (separately from putting the car in Park)

Last edited:
Reactions: Maka344
I've assumed it's analogous to a conventional car...

1) Hitting the stalk button is like putting a conventional car in PARK without applying the parking brake

2) Holding the stalk button is like applying the parking brake in a conventional car, and you can feel the brakes engage.

I've assumed it's analogous to a conventional car...

1) Hitting the stalk button is like putting a conventional car in PARK without applying the parking brake

2) Holding the stalk button is like applying the parking brake in a conventional car, and you can feel the brakes engage.
I just washed my car parked on this driveway.

Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 15.35.43.png

It didn't budge an inch.
IIRC when I first got the car I did the long press on the stalk, but either I read somewhere that it's unnecessary or I simply forgot about it and for the past year it's been parked there without the long press. Not sure what additional braking is needed if normal park stops it from rolling down that drive :)

Reactions: Adopado

This being the UK forum: over here we mostly have stick-shift cars and a handbrake that you have to pull on (or an electric handbrake which is a button-switch instead of the old physical handle-and-cable).