Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Assist and 23.12.300.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm coming from a '22 S with actual Park Assist that worked. This one which just updated in the '23 is a complete waste of time and effort. It is damn near useless and I am so disappointed. The countdown in feet is gone as is the STOP warning. All it has is a bunch of squiggly lines that are constantly moving that tell me nothing. If I get a couple of feet from my wall the display indicates that I already drove thru the wall. Ridiculous. I've had a '17 and a '22 (a tree fell on it) and have relied on Park Assist to get close enough to my exterior wall so that the charge wire will reach. It is also essential to me when nose in parking in the local shopping center where the lanes are only slightly wider than the length of this car. Since picking up the car March 26 I've been guessing at the distance so I was really looking forward to having Park Assist work again and now they come out with this abomination. I can only hope that this is the "alpha" version just to get us placated and the "proper" one is coming later. I can hope anyway...

Marc

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I sure hope so. I wonder if we will get back the measured distance to an object and the STOP message. They were really helpful.

Marc
I can confirm the latest Tesla Vision release for park assist DOES include the STOP message and measured distances, although as others reported not terribly accurate. But in almost all cases the measured distances shown are ‘closer’ than actuals, hence a built in factor of safety. Try some different parking situations and you’ll discover these features are in fact working. Admittedly not as robust as USS, but nevertheless a working solution that will improve over time.

PS. You need to reboot your system, i.e. Hold down both scroll wheels for 3 seconds until the main screen goes blank for the park assist upgrade to take effect, as many others have reported on the latest update.

Last edited:
I can confirm the latest Tesla Vision release for park assist DOES include the STOP message and measured distances, although as others reported not terribly accurate. But in almost all cases the measured distances shown are ‘closer’ than actuals, hence a built in factor of safety. Try some different parking situations and you’ll discover these features are in fact working. Admittedly not as robust as USS, but nevertheless a working solution that will improve over time.

PS. You need to reboot your system, i.e. Hold down both scroll wheels for 3 seconds until the main screen goes blank for the park assist upgrade to take effect, as many others have reported on the latest update.
Thank you a bunch for that. Now I see the distances and it alerts when getting too close. It is a bit conservative but that will work for now.

Thanks again,
Marc

Reactions: mm9351
My park assist never shows a distance and always shows a message saying that it is degraded. Sometimes the proximity lines display as being under the car!

I will try the reboot recommendation and see if that makes it work.

P.S. Update: after a reboot, the distance and stop messages show up. However, the "degraded" message continues and the proximity lines are unreliable.

Last edited:
My park assist never shows a distance and always shows a message saying that it is degraded. Sometimes the proximity lines display as being under the car!

I will try the reboot recommendation and see if that makes it work.

P.S. Update: after a reboot, the distance and stop messages show up. However, the "degraded" message continues and the proximity lines are unreliable.
Nelson,

You are 100% correct, the "degraded" message still appears on my vehicle as well, under the following conditions:

- I'm assuming you are pulling into a garage when you receive the message as you approach the forward wall. The camera can no longer detect the floor immediately in front of the vehicle. Imagine a straight line, say 50 deg. from horizontal from the top of your windshield (where your cameras are located) to the floor just in front of your front bumper. Once your front garage wall intersects that line of sight, you will get the degraded message. I've confirmed this a number of times. It's just a basic geometry problem that will continue until Tesla adds a front bumper mounted camera, perhaps with the next MS refresh.

- One aspect of the Tesla Vision that I'm impressed with is the ability to detect the forward and side striped lines in a parking lot especially with open spaces in front and side of you. This is a great feature ensuring you haven't pulled too far into a space. Of course, the system will otherwise detect a vehicle in front if the space in front is occupied. The reason you will not get the "degraded" message in an open parking lot is, of course, no wall up front.

- The proximity lines and measurements, they will continue to be inaccurate as this was compromised when USS sensors were removed. For now, we must rely on the "occupancy network" :). Hope this helps.

Reactions: garcianc
Nelson,

You are 100% correct, the "degraded" message still appears on my vehicle as well, under the following conditions:

- I'm assuming you are pulling into a garage when you receive the message as you approach the forward wall. The camera can no longer detect the floor immediately in front of the vehicle. Imagine a straight line, say 50 deg. from horizontal from the top of your windshield (where your cameras are located) to the floor just in front of your front bumper. Once your front garage wall intersects that line of sight, you will get the degraded message. I've confirmed this a number of times. It's just a basic geometry problem that will continue until Tesla adds a front bumper mounted camera, perhaps with the next MS refresh.

- One aspect of the Tesla Vision that I'm impressed with is the ability to detect the forward and side striped lines in a parking lot especially with open spaces in front and side of you. This is a great feature ensuring you haven't pulled too far into a space. Of course, the system will otherwise detect a vehicle in front if the space in front is occupied. The reason you will not get the "degraded" message in an open parking lot is, of course, no wall up front.

- The proximity lines and measurements, they will continue to be inaccurate as this was compromised when USS sensors were removed. For now, we must rely on the "occupancy network" :). Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. I will have to experiment with more use-cases.

In my car, I have never not seen the "degraded" message. It is always there. It comes on when the park assist display comes on and never goes away. After my last reboot, the distance displays on top of the "degraded' message but the message remains. Occasionally, I see a side pilar message along with the degraded message, so the same behavior you mention about the forward camera could be going on with the side repeater since my garage is pretty tight.

Additionally, and I forgot to mention this earlier, the audible warnings have never worked, though they are enabled in the menu. I am not sure if this has to do with the degraded issue turning warnings off. Since they have never worked, I am not sure what the expected behavior is. Perhaps you can tell me what you experience in case I am doing something wrong. Thanks again.

Additionally, and I forgot to mention this earlier, the audible warnings have never worked, though they are enabled in the menu...
Update to my own post above. After exiting and re-entering my garage, I was able to hear the warnings.
Also, I believe I confused the lane departure warning setting with the park assist, which I don't think can be turned off, though I can't see why I would want to.

I have had my new model 3 fir one month

Parking feature is useless

Still get message

PARK ASSIST DEGRADED

a have reported on the app fir service

Not had a satisfactory outcome

This is not a cheap purchase

Can any one help? Or advise

I have had my new model 3 fir one month

Parking feature is useless

Still get message

PARK ASSIST DEGRADED

a have reported on the app fir service

Not had a satisfactory outcome

This is not a cheap purchase

Can any one help? Or advise
You'll just have to wait for a software update that improves Park Assist in cars without sensors. There's nothing service can do for you, so don't waste your time or theirs.