Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard it for the first time myself today. Also only noticed on surface streets, not the freeway.

It's not from minor highway pavement line bumps, it's from more significant bumps / potholes that torque the frame - the service guys said it was a little like tectonic plates under pressure and then popping. Mine is still silent a week after the teflon fix.

My Pano doesn't have the creak when bumpy. But the right side squeals very loudly when going through about 25% on the way to full opening. Is this the same, or a different issue?

That's an aerodynamic whistle, not a mechanical creak. I've got both noises (though the creak comes and goes), though I wouldn't have said the whistle (more like a shriek, actually) was limited to one side or the other.

Fourth day of ownership and I started noticing this creak yesterday. It was probably there from day one but I was playing around with Slacker radio the first couple of days and probably couldn't hear it. Same conditions as most people are reporting. Mostly happens at slow to medium speeds when the body gets any amount of flex from uneven road/bumps. It's annoying, but at the same time is not dampening my enthusiasm for driving the MS every chance I get. I'll wait and see if there's some permanent fix reported here later.

Called Tesla service center yesterday re creaking sounds from panaromic roof. I was told that there is still no permanent fix. I am wondering if the creaking came back on those cars where the panoramic roof was removed to tighten the brackets. It has been more than a month since the service center tried to fix my S.
David

It's been a little over two weeks since Fremont service worked on my car and it has been perfectly quiet.
Michael, did the guys in Fremont service center tell you how they fixed the panoramic roof of your car? The service center here in Costa Mesa tightened the bolts of the black bar and greased up the base surrounding the the glass roof. The noise decreased in intensity only for few days but now is as bad as before the attempted fix. Now the creaking sound occurs also during full right and left turns depending on the speed I am driving!

No, service did not say exactly what they did other than lubricate something. I think I quoted from the service ticket in one of my earlier posts.

It seems to me that they are having multiple issues in that area of the car.

Before the problem was fixed I had a passenger stick his fingers into the crossbar right behind my head and when he pressed on the inside of the bar, the noise went away.
Michael

Michael, did the guys in Fremont service center tell you how they fixed the panoramic roof of your car? The service center here in Costa Mesa tightened the bolts of the black bar and greased up the base surrounding the the glass roof. The noise decreased in intensity only for few days but now is as bad as before the attempted fix. Now the creaking sound occurs also during full right and left turns depending on the speed I am driving!

I noticed the pano roof rattle during my second week of ownership. I brought my car to the Santa Monica service center, where the fix lasted one day before the rattle came back. It started out slowly at first, and is now back with a vengeance. The odd thing is that the noise can still be intermittent...silent for a few minutes, and then it comes back. I can't seem to tie the rattle to any specific outside temperature, or pano roof position.

My car is going back to Santa Monica service center on April 8th. If a permanent solution is not found, I hope the Teflon fix can temporarily restore my sanity! (Although my wife may argue that last statement...)

-Lenn

I took my car into the service center in Chicago today to have the pano roof creak fixed. They took the glass out and adjusted
some things. It's much better now than it was, but there is still a noticeable, although somewhat less annoying, creaking sound,
coming from the passenger side of the car rather than before where it was mostly behind the driver.

Having real nice weather but makes the creaking noise a lot more when driving the S. Noise has gotten worse and occurs even when driving freeway speeds. It is still intermittent but now occurs a lot more consistently when road is a little rough! Anybody has any idea why the noise is temperature related? Expanding of metals when hot so it messes up the fit of the panoramic roof? Metal expansion should make a tighter fit, wouldn't it? Trying to ignore the annoying noise with loud music but is not working. Any suggestions until Tesla engineers find a permanent fix? Not driving the S is not an option...

I guess the plastic that was rubbing a bit, warms up, expands, then rubs a lot. I've noticed in mine that its much worse after/during a warm sunny day. I hate hate hate any spurious noises in the car, so will have to book at appointment soon.