Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Digging up this old thread again. My roof has a wicked rattle/creaking noise. Three separate trips to get it fixed the last 2 months and felt strips were placed without any improvement. I'm bringing it back for another repair next week. It really made me want to weld the moonroof on permanently so I don't have to hear this wicked noise anymore. I'm quite disappointed that Tesla does not have a way to correct this problem more permanently.

I have solved the creaking sound once and for all....about time. The fix is a no brainer and very simple to do. All you need is this:

View attachment 56065

Apply the fuzzy part of the Velcro on the top part of this sunroof lip.
View attachment 56066
The creaking and rubbing is coming when this lip goes under the bracket on the front frame.
Just trace the Velcro with a razor and trim it to match the lip of the sunroof.
So easy and simple...no more sound !!! Finally !!:wink:

Just wanted to thank you - the photos were super helpful!

So our 2016 was having this issue and after a few SC trips and 24-hour resolutions, I was determined to figure out what the hell was causing the crackling sound. What I found, after reading this thread, was that the metal lip did indeed have the same issue, or a very similar one, that timstl had. I've applied a strip of velcro (the soft side) to the bottom of the lip and it still closes nicely, so we'll see if that did the trick. I'm really optimistic though.

I haven't driven it yet, but that exposed adhesive on the bottom of the lip (where the felt had come up a bit) makes perfect sense as the culprit. I'll be so relieved if this is indeed the issue and it's been resolved. I'm going to let the SC know too so they can hopefully fix this issue for others (on the first trip!).

Just wanted to thank you - the photos were super helpful!

So our 2016 was having this issue and after a few SC trips and 24-hour resolutions, I was determined to figure out what the hell was causing the crackling sound. What I found, after reading this thread, was that the metal lip did indeed have the same issue, or a very similar one, that timstl had. I've applied a strip of velcro (the soft side) to the bottom of the lip and it still closes nicely, so we'll see if that did the trick. I'm really optimistic though.

I haven't driven it yet, but that exposed adhesive on the bottom of the lip (where the felt had come up a bit) makes perfect sense as the culprit. I'll be so relieved if this is indeed the issue and it's been resolved. I'm going to let the SC know too so they can hopefully fix this issue for others (on the first trip!).

Or not! I was way too optimistic. When bringing it to the service center, they could hear the awful noise (almost like taking a piece of tape and quickly sticking and unsticking it from a surface). And confirmed it was definitely coming from the roof/pano.

While they couldn't find a physical or concrete cause for the noise, they lubricated the seals and tracks and, I think most importantly, tightened the bolts (I think the noise was coming from flexing) and so far, no noise!

Just posting this here in case anyone else ends up with the same annoying issue and has trouble figuring out the cause (especially after multiple SC trips).

I've always had the creaking noise from my 2015 MS. 4 trip to the SC and each visit would only cure it for 2 weeks. I've found this on amazon and apply it to the top of the metal tab on the sunroof as well as all the rubber seal that's making contact with the sunroof. So far so good. I think the silicone grease will eventually wear off but the tube is huge so it will last me couple of years.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-08798-9013-Silicone-Grease/dp/B00GD49GTS/

let me know if anyone needs pictures for clarification

• Helpful
Reactions: DIL
It is diabolical. There appear to be multiple sources of noises in that area, literally a foot away from my ear drums. Like many the thinking on my car was that it was related to the pano roof, the tab, the rails, all of these had been lubed and tightened and taped and bent up and down many times, even replaced the whole glass. And yet the ticking (sticking unsticking) noise is there, loud and obnoxious, triggered by the tiniest vibration of the car. Then one day I opened the pano roof slightly and guess what, though harder to hear from the wind noise the ticking noise is still there

There has to be another source, something behind the headliner, a lose wiring harness, the headliner itself, who knows. Based on the number of afflicted cars all I still hope is that a solution is found and implemented by Service before we go completely insane.

There has to be another source, something behind the headliner, a lose wiring harness, the headliner itself, who knows. Based on the number of afflicted cars all I still hope is that a solution is found and implemented by Service before we go completely insane.

i went to the SC (Dublin, CA) yesterday for the same reason, the tech seems to think this is caused by Velcro straps that holds the headliner in place.. I will update once i get my vechicle back and if they are able to address this issue effectively.

i went to the SC (Dublin, CA) yesterday for the same reason, the tech seems to think this is caused by Velcro straps that holds the headliner in place.. I will update once i get my vechicle back and if they are able to address this issue effectively.
Just checking, did this solve your problem?

I just had the same "ticking" / "creaking" sound on making turns and on inspection of the right forward headliner (open sunroof and from back seat look into front headliner gap via sunroof opening) I noticed a triple-decker velcro (3 velcro pieces sandwiched) that was not pushed together. I pushed from bottom of headliner and connected them. This solved the noise problem. I did notice that the same velcro assembly on the left forward side of the headliner was only 2 pieces and that the headliner to roof gap is smaller. Seems like a hack on the right side but maybe there's a design reason for this.