Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painted brake calipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can do this yourself if you know what you are doing. Using the right paint etc. Some even paint calipers without removing them. Will look good but a deep inspection would show the flaws if not remove and paint. Removing is a little messy due to fluids etc...

Spoke with Tesla today and the current grey Brembro's are like $495 EACH! That means EVEN if they have the RED option it will cost almost $2000 to basically change the color. BTW its not like we need 4 spare calipers as they rarely go bad!

Wow, that's pretty cheap. Replacement Brembo calipers on my Evo are about $1500 a corner, and I'm pretty sure they even have fewer pistons than the Model S calipers.

If it makes you feel any better, if you really push them on the track, red Brembos commonly turn brown/black. They even have a name: Brownbos. Then every time you see them you get to think about how pretty they used to be.

I also plan to paint caliper as red. Any good recommendations in bay area and how much the price is ?

I just picked up my Model S and plan to repaint not just the caliper but the entire car ;).. I own two shops, a mechanic as well as an auto body shop. I need to ask the Tesla service department about that decal though because I just realized the TESLA logo on the brake caliper isn't embossed but it's placed on top of the caliper on the grey ones or.. on top of the painted ones and then clear coated over.

One would need to remove, paint, reinstall and bleed the brake system to get rid of the air bubbles in the brake lines and the entire time the car will be on the lift and unable to move for a couple days.

Larry

Im here Im here

Thanks Jerry I saw that thread as well but he doesn't seem to visit this forum anymore. I'll keep searching.

I just happened to check in today on the forum boards...YES I painted my calipers back in April 2013 RED...and love them!

IMG_0017.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I also plan to paint caliper as red. Any good recommendations in bay area and how much the price is ?

It should NOT cost you anymore than $500 from a reputable large TIRE shop that does a lot of custom wheel applications

I used Globe Tire here in West Los Angeles

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_2581.JPG

haha, I must have missed that message. I don't check my posts often. My apologies. They are 20" rims staggered. 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear. They are tinted matte clear. Customized rims. Morr is planning on expanding their high end luxury line to the Tesla soon and mine is the first. I forget the tire size at this moment. I'm planning on doing a photoshoot on these soon. Just haven't had the time. These are Morr wheels that weigh 20lbs each. Great wheels and look great!

Interesting to see this color (body) for a TESLA. Was the car re painted! I don't remember ever seeing this color as an option on TESLA's website. Perhaps an early production. Nevertheless.. I really like it! very nice

Here's what i did this weekend on my Calipers, I painted electric green. I took the idea from Porsche with their new 918 (hybrid) supercar. The Calipers are painted electric Green. I tought it was appropriate color since the TESLA is relatively green!
20140818_132907_resized.jpg
20140818_132920_resized.jpg
20140818_140320_resized.jpg
20140818_140326_resized_1.jpg