Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pacific Northwest Owners (Seattle, Portland, or towns/cities in the region)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New listing. DM me if you are interested!

Hi everyone, I'm in need of 4 used 19" rims for my older Model S. (I believe the same rims are compatible for most if not all model years for the model S.

I'll also soon have four 21" used rims from the same car that I'm going to be able to sell.

Please let me know if you have any 19" rims that I can buy off you or if you have a need for used 21" rims.

Thanks!

Reactions: jebinc
Hi everyone, I'm in need of 4 used 19" rims for my older Model S. (I believe the same rims are compatible for most if not all model years for the model S.

I'll also soon have four 21" used rims from the same car that I'm going to be able to sell.

Please let me know if you have any 19" rims that I can buy off you or if you have a need for used 21" rims.

Thanks!
Check Craigslist. There are some 19" Model S Slipstream wheels on there.

Reactions: Araman0 and jebinc

Thanks!
You can find them on ebay. I recently bought a reconditioned one from ebay to keep a spare full size tire for out Model S's (both of which have 19" tires), since the supply chain problems nowadays mean if you get a flat which cannot be fixed, you're looking at a week or more wait time for a new tire. Having a spare full size tire makes a tire problem so much easier (you just put on a the spare and drive on it for a week or a month, however long it takes to get a replacement tire(s) ).

Collision repair needed in Seattle-Bellingham area. Hello PNW TMC members! My first post here, I think.

My wife and I have been Tesla owners since 2018 (she got a LR RWD Model 3 in May and I picked up a Performance Model 3 in September 2018). I've always known I didn't want to deal with auto body repair so I've stayed alert and avoided damage until now. But I was parallel parked on the street in front of my house when my neighbor backed out of her driveway and didn't stop in time to avoid hitting my P3D. So sad! Normally I park in my own driveway/carport but there was an ambulance blocking the road so I parked on the street. When I went out to move it into the carport I saw this:

20221209_104757.jpg

I got an estimate from #1 Automotive Body Repair in Bellingham but they said it would be 3-6 months after the parts arrived. The problem is I'm a skier at Mt. Baker and need a car with winter tires on it, so this entire ski season is not a bust. I feel like my neighbor's insurance should make me whole since this is entirely their liability. My neighbor is being very nice about it but it's the insurance company I'm worried about. How could they even get their hands on a suitable replacement for up to 6 months? Am I going to be stuck driving a gas car all winter long? Horrors! Should I buy another Model 3 and put my winter tires on it, only to sell it when my car is done? Can I get the insurance company to pay for AWD and winter tires on it to safely travel Mt. Baker Highway during winter storms (The Model 3 is great in whiteout storms). I'm wondering if I could get it repaired more quickly in the Seattle area?

Looking for:

Shop recommendations
Advice for dealing with the neighbors Costco American Family Connect Insurance adjuster

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: IdaX and jebinc
Just anecdotal, but we got in a fender bender in September and all of the shops in Bellevue had February slots for the repairs at the earliest. 3-6 months sounds like the norm right now. With the used and new car markets inflated, a lot more cars are worth repairing than before, so there's long lead times for parts and shop time.

Just like @gearchruncher said, we're driving the car with a messed-up hood in the meantime 🤷

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and StealthP3D
We got rear ended last summer, ended up taking it to Fix Auto in Vancouver, they only work on Tesla's. Although the experience wasn't perfect, they did have all the parts in stock and made the repair within a few weeks. Would be a bit of a haul for you to and the logistics wouldn't be ideal. Maybe there is a similar shop up in the Seattle area.

• Informative
Reactions: StealthP3D
Is the car drive-able in the current state? It looks like it, and you're charging it.
3-6 months to get parts doesn't mean the car has to sit unused, waiting for the parts.
Have the shop order the parts, enjoy the car over the winter, then have it repaired.

I'm not driving a car that ugly! It's not that I'm vain, it's that it reflects poorly on Tesla. I want to be a good brand ambassador!

BTW, the shop that provided me with an estimate said the 3-6 months was AFTER I dropped it off so they could take it apart.

• Funny
Reactions: TunaBug
If you are lucky. Most insurances max out after a month of a cheap ICE rental (~$1,000). You might have to sue to cover the rest.
It does seem like the insurance company should cover all the damages of my loss, including the loss of use. Why would I have to sue them to get them to compensate me for my loss? It seems arbitrary to say we will cover some of your loss of use, but not all of it. I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact I kind of expected to hear that, but I wonder what the case law says about this? I wasn't even present when my car was hit so there it's clear who is at fault.

It's already a lot of time and effort on my part just to schedule the work, get the car to the shop (there are no qualified shops in the area where the damage occurred), and pick it up, inspect and sign off on it. I don't expect to get compensated for that, but it does seem like I shouldn't have to rent a car out of pocket to replace the damaged car while repairs are being done. And buying gas? :oops: I haven't had to do that for years.

These are more like philosophical questions that I'm interested in as I would probably be more likely to replace the car temporarily than sue. But temporarily replacing the car is a lot of time/effort too. And insurance and taxes, etc.

If you are lucky. Most insurances max out after a month of a cheap ICE rental (~$1,000). You might have to sue to cover the rest.
This only applies if you're at fault. In this case, it's the other party's insurance, and if it takes 6 months to repair it, it takes 6 months. That's what liability insurance is. Of course, they could just total the car too.

I'm not driving a car that ugly!
I'm interested in as I would probably be more likely to replace the car temporarily than sue. But temporarily replacing the car is a lot of time/effort too. And insurance and taxes, etc.
This car can be repaired. Any "replacement" just because you don't want to drive some rental will be out of pocket. You seriously would rather be thousands out of pocket than stare at a dent for a few months?

The other party hit you. You call the insurance company. You tell them that you took the car to a reputable Tesla repair shop nearby, and they need 6 months to repair the car due to parts shortages, and that they want to take the car apart first, then order parts. Tell them that your use case for this car is going skiing, and thus you expect a vehicle with equivalent capabilities as a rental. They'll do one of three things:

1) Find you a shop that can repair the car quicker (this is their job, not yours)
2) Tell you the car is totaled, because $100 a day to rent an equivalent car isn't worth it.
3) Argue with you over the rental.

If the parts are really 6 months out, everyone will be 6 months out. Take the estimate you have and call the closest Tesla service center, and ask for the lead time on the body panel. If it's 6 months, then you're stuck. If it's 4 days, then you know your local place was misleading you and it's probably that they are backed up 6 months.

FYI, there are brand new quarters, on ebay, ready to ship right now.

And in the end, if you sue, you sue your neighbor. You can't sue someone else's insurance company. You sue the person, and the insurance company indemnifies them. So keep that in mind.

• Informative
It does seem like the insurance company should cover all the damages of my loss, including the loss of use. Why would I have to sue them to get them to compensate me for my loss? It seems arbitrary to say we will cover some of your loss of use, but not all of it. I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact I kind of expected to hear that, but I wonder what the case law says about this? I wasn't even present when my car was hit so there it's clear who is at fault.
When I had a wreck with my first Model S, I had to wait 3 months before they decided to total it. In this time, I had $2500-3000 in rental car expenses. My insurance only covered up to $1500, so I had to pay for the rest out of pocket. During this period, someone hit my rental car when it was parked on the street (and ran!). So I had to pay for that too.

• Informative
This only applies if you're at fault. In this case, it's the other party's insurance, and if it takes 6 months to repair it, it takes 6 months. That's what liability insurance is. Of course, they could just total the car too.
When our 1 year old Model S was hit (and eventually totaled) it was clearly the other driver's fault. Dashcam footage made it a slam dunk as far as fault assignment, plus the other driver left the scene of the accident too. The police (and insurance company) never found the driver who caused the accident (they knew who she was as the car was registered to her and we had her on dashcam video, but could not physically locate her, with some additional complications because she was a native American possibly living on the federal land). The "uninsured motorist insurance" covered our loss, but our rental coverage ran out ~$1,000. I asked why, and was told that is all most car insurances cover. I asked how much to add additional coverage for any future incidents and was told it's simply not offered. Then I asked what if they did find the other driver, and was told that even if they had insurance, they would probably also have the same rental limit, so if I wanted more I would have to sue the other driver and if I win it would come out of their personal liability insurance (or in this case, since the other driver didn't have one, I would have to try to collect through other means which would likely be a futile effort and a waste of money as all she had to her name was that truck which she totaled our Model S with, for which she didn't even have valid tags or insurance).

Renting a Model S or even just a Model 3 would quickly rack up quite a bill. You can get a Model 3 on Turo today for maybe seven grand for 3 months. Hertz used to rent Model S at $400 a day when we had ours totaled, so 3 months would be like $36K!

• Informative
The "uninsured motorist insurance" covered our loss, but our rental coverage ran out ~$1,000. I asked why, and was told that is all most car insurances cover. I asked how much to add additional coverage for any future incidents and was told it's simply not offered. Then I asked what if they did find the other driver, and was told that even if they had insurance, they would probably also have the same rental limit,
This is just all bad advice coming from the enemy (yes, when dealing with your insurance company on an uninsured claim, they are the enemy)

If you are at fault for an accident, and if your coverage for rental cars came from the "rental reimbursement" portion of your policy, then the state would require you to carry this coverage. But it does not. Because that only comes into play when it's your insurance paying. If you are liable, ALL of your coverage comes from your liability insurance. That's literally why it's called that.

The $1K coverage limit may be true with your insurer, but others offer more. Here's literally the first one I found, with PEMCO offering up to $2100:

Also, this:
Otherwise, like virtually all auto insurance policies sold in the United States, PEMCO provides rental car reimbursement as an optional add-on (not automatic) coverage. That’s because not everyone needs or wants it, particularly if they have another car they can use while theirs is in the shop.

• Informative
This is just all bad advice coming from the enemy (yes, when dealing with your insurance company on an uninsured claim, they are the enemy)

If you are at fault for an accident, and if your coverage for rental cars came from the "rental reimbursement" portion of your policy, then the state would require you to carry this coverage. But it does not. Because that only comes into play when it's your insurance paying. If you are liable, ALL of your coverage comes from your liability insurance. That's literally why it's called that.

The $1K coverage limit may be true with your insurer, but others offer more. Here's literally the first one I found, with PEMCO offering up to $2100:

Also, this:
My insurance was kinda right, the liability insurance of the person at fault would have to pay for the extended rental. In my case the insurance company nor the police could find them, so it fell onto my "uninsured motorist" insurance to cover the loss. That insurance unfortunately did not cover extended rentals, so I would have to sue the person nobody could find (and no, I was not about hire some bodyguards to sweep through native-American reservations to find her). On the other hand. once the only Tesla qualified tech in the area finally declared my car totaled, I was able to quickly negotiate a good payout for my totaled Model S and order a new one. I essentially got a a new Model S for just a little more money after the tax incentives, so ended up with a 1 year newer car for my troubles, so happy with the insurance company overall (with whom I've been for over two decades now). My only complaint was having to wait so long for the repair estimate due to lack of Tesla qualified techs. I heard a couple of months later the waiting list for an estimate grew to 5+ months (we got it in 3 or 4 weeks IIRC).

• Informative
In my case the insurance company nor the police could find them, so it fell onto my "uninsured motorist" insurance to cover the loss.
I have a fascinating story about this kind of coverage from my insurance years ago. When I was in college, my little Geo Metro got demolished by a Chevy Blazer as a hit-and-run. All of the witnesses came over to me, since it seemed like the guy in the tiny car would more likely be injured. No one went over to the Blazer, so the person realized no one was looking and took off...jerk.

It seemed exactly like your interpretation that my "uninsured motorist" coverage should apply to this hit-and-run deadbeat, right? When I called my insurance company (Progressive), they had a different interpretation. Since they could not talk directly to the person to CONFIRM that he or she did not have insurance, they couldn't know if the uninsured motorist coverage applied or not, and therefore didn't.

It seemed exactly like your interpretation that my "uninsured motorist" coverage should apply to this hit-and-run deadbeat, right? When I called my insurance company (Progressive), they had a different interpretation. Since they could not talk directly to the person to CONFIRM that he or she did not have insurance, they couldn't know if the uninsured motorist coverage applied or not, and therefore didn't.
This is why reviewing insurance contracts matters. My contract specifically says:
“Underinsured motor vehicle” means any self-propelled land vehicle:
a. To which no liability insurance policy or bond applies at the time of the accident.
b. To which a liability policy or bond applies at the time of the accident, but the limit of the liability policy or bond is inadequate to pay the full amount an insured is legally entitled torecover as compensatory damages from the owner or operator of the underinsured motor vehicle .
c. Which has a liability policy or bond that applies at the time of the accident, but the insurance or bonding company is or becomes insolvent or denies coverage to its insured for that accident.
d. Which is a hit-and-run vehicle whose driver or owner can’t be identified and which causes an accident resulting in bodily injury to or property damage sustained by an insured .
e. Which is a phantom vehicle.

• Informative