Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs. P85 Efficiency Testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't notice any difference since her car was wrapped. If anything I'd think it'd be a detriment, but not a significant one.

Yes it is. I have the 550 in the P85 (and left one in my traded P85) all nicely installed. I ended up running straight to the fuse box though. I may look around for some constant 12V inside the car to tap this time instead.

You have pics of your mounting setup?

Thanks

I'll have to check that out... I was under the impression there was no longer a constant 12V there on newer VINs.

This was the first thing that I looked at. There's definitely a three wire unused connector, but I was unable to sense more than 10.5v on any combination of the wires and none were able to drive the 650. My guess is that they're for a sensor / mic / etc. that we don't have.

On mine,the two outer pins give you between 13.5 and 14.3v. The one with brown strip is positive and the black is ground. The green wire gives you under 4v.
I already installed DR550 front and rear and they work in all modes including parking
It is p85d with vin in 648xx

This was the first thing that I looked at. There's definitely a three wire unused connector, but I was unable to sense more than 10.5v on any combination of the wires and none were able to drive the 650. My guess is that they're for a sensor / mic / etc. that we don't have.

On mine,the two outer pins give you between 13.5 and 14.3v. The one with brown strip is positive and the black is ground. The green wire gives you under 4v.
I already installed DR550 front and rear and they work in all modes including parking

Did you find the part number for the corresponding plug? I'm waiting for a 650; might as well order the parts needed for the install.

Did you find the part number for the corresponding plug? I'm waiting for a 650; might as well order the parts needed for the install.

i did not order any part. Just followed the method described in that dashcam thread- cut off extra wires, strip the end, pop open the connector clip, and stick the two wires from the back of the connector and wiggle them into the pin slots, align the wires with existing wiring then close the clip - it will keep them tight and not easily pulled out. I then used electrical tape to wrap the connector just in case.

i did not take pictures. But will try tomorrow

i did not order any part. Just followed the method described in that dashcam thread- cut off extra wires, strip the end, pop open the connector clip, and stick the two wires from the back of the connector and wiggle them into the pin slots, align the wires with existing wiring then close the clip - it will keep them tight and not easily pulled out. I then used electrical tape to wrap the connector just in case.

i did not take pictures. But will try tomorrow

Interesting. On my previous S I used headers and soldered the wire. I don't think the plug had a clip, but I could be wrong. It was almost two years ago.

I went back out into the cold and snow just now, multimeter in hand to recheck this. Lo, and behold... 14.9v (while charging) on the two outer pins. I'm happy to be wrong!

I'm back from my Ft. Lauderdale to Northern VA road trip in my P85D. 1,074.6 miles, 407.3 kWh, 379 avg wH/mile. 19" primacy tires, 2 adults, 2 kids, trunk packed with luggage including the foot well. Mixed driving; cruise set anywhere between 65-90, with peaks above and below depending on traffic. Range was never an issue while using the superchargers along I-95. I'll still be happier when the new software is available that supports idling the rear engine, but my range concerns were unwarranted. The only difference was a bit more time spent charging and I was unable to skip any of the SCs.

Replying to my own post (edit wasn't working for some reason). My last sentence wasn't 100% accurate. I was able to drive from Glen Allen (Richmond) to home, skipping Potomac mall. I don't recall what my remaining energy was when I arrived home, and if I would have been able to make it to the Delaware SC without stopping at Potomac. I'm guessing probably not.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the voltage drop slightly when the car is parked/turned off but not charging? I plan to get a Cowon AW2, which uses the voltage drop to detect when to enter "parking mode".

This is exactly why I decided against the AW2. There is no alternator to stop and therefore no corresponding voltage drop. I don't think the AW2 will be able to automatically engage parking mode on a model S. The blackvue uses GPS and/or the accelerometer.

Replying to my own post (edit wasn't working for some reason). My last sentence wasn't 100% accurate. I was able to drive from Glen Allen (Richmond) to home, skipping Potomac mall. I don't recall what my remaining energy was when I arrived home, and if I would have been able to make it to the Delaware SC without stopping at Potomac. I'm guessing probably not.

- - - Updated - - -

This is exactly why I decided against the AW2. There is no alternator to stop and therefore no corresponding voltage drop. I don't think the AW2 will be able to automatically engage parking mode on a model S. The blackvue uses GPS and/or the accelerometer.

The Model S DC-DC can engage/disengage at any time while the car sits. It generally does so to boost up the 12V battery or while the battery heater is needed or some other idle load from the main pack. So using voltage drop to go to parking mode will not work.

@andrewket - I was able to make Newark to Glen Allen on my southbound trip, taking it pretty easy, limited HVAC, 100% charge in Newark, arrived with 19 miles to spare. If I had driven like I would normally had driven my P85 (cruise at 78 through Fredricksburg area and other 65/70 MPH zone, 68 elsewhere) I most certainly would not have made it. Instead I kept to right lane driving. That ~15% efficiency loss does matter, unfortunately.

I do try to avoid the Woodbridge, VA supercharger. It's kind of a terrible spot, IMO. Traffic to get to and from the charger is ridiculous during a large block of times during even a normal week. It has taken me 20 minutes to get between that charger and 95... worst of any other I've been to.