Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D : The chrome window trim on the front isn't aligned with the trim on the rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
US cars are like this. Bad finish... Sad that Tesla cant get it right...

Hope Tesla hires German or Japanese quality controller(s) at their factory. These kind of aesthetics issues are hard to describe and standardize I think. I guess my Sig (September 2014 delivery) was OK quality for an American car, and believe it or not Tesla employees assured me that Japanese sigs are of highest quality of all Teslas. However in my personal opinion it is still not at comparable level with German, Japanese and high end Italian cars.

Hiroshiy,

I have a similar issue with my car in HK. I noted the misalignment of this piece around the window when my car was delivered in October (the first batch of non-sig RHD cars after the factory start up last August). Tesla is replacing this piece again for me.

This is one big piece of trim and apparently very hard to align properly. Apparently the trim wasn't designed for the ability to install at manufacturing or for body shop repairs. I would expect this is more of a function of design and manufacturing team maturity to work together versus saying this is an American car problem. The subcontractors in Finland and Austria that support the European OEMs have similar problems with their early cars.

I've been less than impressed with some of the "fixes" from corporate. Run your hands along the headliner up by the front of the pano roof and feel the foam weather stripping from Home Depot. I swear, if this was Lexus, someone would have committed hara-kiri by now....

I know, I know, some of us would argue that it works. But there is a certain amount of aesthetics that should be expected in a car of this class.

Tell me about it. Coming from a Lexus, I ran through more than a dozen issues and I was feeling bad if I was being unreasonable. Misaligned chrome, misaligned frunk hood, several mis-cut weather stripping/rubber seals, several of them sticking out or just not set or fit right. Foggy headlights, creaking seats, buffering sound, misaligned main screen, etc. Very disappointed with the lack of overall fit and finish of the car. But I still love it to death and after one or two attempts by them to fix, I will probably just learn to live with it.

It doesn't have to be this way though. They need to seriously up their game in the long run when the competition is stiff and they have a larger fleet and customer base.