Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sighting / test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pictures in new angles of frunk and seats very much appreciated. For the frunk any size reference to other object is also nice...

Getting slightly out of my mind here refreshing two forums, mytesla, designstudio(US and Norway) as well as youtube:redface:
I'll get my wife to climb in the frunk for a picture:smile:. Might be a tighter fit than the last P85, so might not be able to slam it.

Just to clarify, I had it in INSANE MODE for the 0-60, switched to sport and it's still crazy

Thank you for sharing. The sound in your video suggests the P85D is very noisy - much more than in the ones that have been circulating from the launch. I would be curious how that compares to p85+ - any others chiming in (from launch or other test drives / test rides)?

Thank you for sharing. The sound in your video suggests the P85D is very noisy - much more than in the ones that have been circulating from the launch. I would be curious how that compares to p85+ - any others chiming in (from launch or other test drives / test rides)?

It does sound a bit louder than my P85+ under full power, but that's probably just due to having a motor closer to the driving position.

Fortunately, it seems to be the cool "spooling turbine" sound (good) rather than the deflating balloon noise (bad).

I know this P85D might be pre-production but it is missing the Tesla name-plate inside the frunk as seen on the Motortrend review.

- - - Updated - - -

At the launch event they had loud music going, several passengers, etc. May have drowned out the additional noise of the front motor.

It does sound a bit louder than my P85+ under full power, but that's probably just due to having a motor closer to the driving position.

Fortunately, it seems to be the cool "spooling turbine" sound (good) rather than the deflating balloon noise (bad).
that sci-Fi sound that sparks some kind of child hood memory for me that immediately makes me forget the lack of throaty muffler sounds. Speeder bike?

The video I posted on G+ a while ago didn't have near the whine that this video does. That makes me think that it is just a difference between individual cars.

The video I posted on G+ a while ago didn't have near the whine that this video does. That makes me think that it is just a difference between individual cars.

Also I listened to a clip I had from a test drive (with my son driving) where he just accelerated by about 30 KM per hour in an S85 - the sound seems just as loud to me so maybe it depends on recording device type, positioning, and of course the amount of acceleration being used. Speaking personally I seldom actually put my foot to the mat from a full stop and accelerate to 100 Km and when I do, the sound isn't the first thing I'm thinking about - plus I'm not usually recording it. So long as the sound is quiet when I expect/need it to be I don't really care about any cool speeder bike sounds.

that sci-Fi sound that sparks some kind of child hood memory for me that immediately makes me forget the lack of throaty muffler sounds. Speeder bike?

My thoughts exactly. I love that sci-fi like sound. Especially during heavy acceleration:biggrin:

but I do hope/expect it to be more silent during normal driving?

@spentan any thoughts on noise levels during more normal driving? And thanks for pictures and video!

Booked at test drive for Saturday at Easton, OH, they said it will be a PD car. Will post impressions.

Test drove same S85 non-D car as last time, this time wife got to drive, loved every bit of it.

D cars to arrive in 3-4 weeks per manager at Easton, OH. Everyone kept trying to sway us towards RWD inventory cars with 10K discounts
on the S and up to 20K on the P RWD cars. No can do, AWD addict living in climate with real winters.

Waiting for the brave D beta-testers to post impressions and glitches to be resolved, then hopefully will get the S85D before next Christmas.

BTW the pork sausages with red cabbage at "Der Schmidt" on Kossuth St. are awesome, too bad they served the apfelstrudel (rétes) cold!? Unforgivable sin.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the power meter limits are on the right side of the speedo for the P85D? In my P85 it goes up to 320kW (for acceleration), and down to -60kW (for regen). I would think that the P85D will have different values. I am hoping it has a more aggressive regen.

IMAG0491-clip.jpg

This is the best image I have of the dash / speedo. When I shot a video of the 0-60 accel the orange bar went a little above 320.
This was in the Palo Alto SvC P85D. They said explicitly they didn't have the latest firmware so it simply may not have been able
to go any higher...

View attachment 65445
This is the best image I have of the dash / speedo. When I shot a video of the 0-60 accel the orange bar went a little above 320.
This was in the Palo Alto SvC P85D. They said explicitly they didn't have the latest firmware so it simply may not have been able
to go any higher...

320kW / 745.699872 watts per HP = 429 HP. I'm going to assume the gauge is wrong or not updated for now...