Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D bricked hard reboot at dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This past Thursday 10-19-23 I went out to get lunch, my P85D started to open and then the lights came on and stayed on and the car was totally locked up. Could not access the car with app or fob. Had it towed to the service center on Friday. Initially they thought it might be the main body control module. I picked up my car today (Monday) and was told all it needed was a hard reboot which wiped out all my settings. Has anyone ever experienced this before? I have had this car for 3 years with no issues. I was wondering if the last OTA might have had something to do with it?

I had a similar problem recently on 2023.32.7. Car unlocked, I jumped in and MCU dead. No way to reboot it. Then I found the car wasn't responding to the keyfob.

I opened the app and it showed a weird error I hadn't seen before. Luckily I could open the frunk through the app. Then I took off the covers to get access to the fuses. Pulled the MCU fuse for a few seconds and put it back in and then the car was back to normal.

First time I've had to pull a fuse in 9 years of ownership (P85). I've since updated to 2023.32.9 and hoping it's ok in future.

Upvote 0
This past Thursday 10-19-23 I went out to get lunch, my P85D started to open and then the lights came on and stayed on and the car was totally locked up. Could not access the car with app or fob. Had it towed to the service center on Friday. Initially they thought it might be the main body control module. I picked up my car today (Monday) and was told all it needed was a hard reboot which wiped out all my settings. Has anyone ever experienced this before? I have had this car for 3 years with no issues. I was wondering if the last OTA might have had something to do with it?
Been there done that got the Tee Shirt. Yesterday!!

So we get a notification that the charging stopped unexpectedly, last night; wall charger,
Went to open car and it was dead/bricked-kinda & locked out as the fob and app will not open doors, rear hatch or frunk.
However, the Tesla App will flash the lights, open the garage door and start charging, but everything else is dead to include beep the horn, so you know the computer is not frozen. Your experience may be different!!

Called Tesla Service and I was told the car has a code from the communication module, the MCU is running as of 18 minutes ago, but they cannot unlock the car and it must come in for service!! Cost $150 tow car and $250 to run diagnostics.
But the charge cable is locked in the port and the car is in the garage.

I know that a reboot will most likely clear the problem, but I can't open the doors.
My procedure to Hard Boot a 2015 Model S P85D:
1) Pull the Nose Cone and test battery terminals for 12V - 14V. If the battery is good proceed to reboot...
2) Move the front latch lever where the cable is attached. Frunk will open to the safety latch
3) Unlatch the safety using a long screwdriver below the latch (you will want to test where the safety latch moves)
4) Remove the frunk trim, to include the tub so you can access the 12V battery. (not easy, so I would suggest you find the procedures before you attempt stripping the frunk trim.
5) disconnect the positive 12v battery terminal at the stud with 10mm nut, cover to protect the end of cable as it could be 12v power from the DC-DC converter powered from the HV Battery
6) Test for voltage on the loose +12v battery cable as it could still have 12-14V power
7) If the voltage on the cable is under 1V then reconnect the cable hard (expect parks so hold the connection) to the 10mm post and put the nut on while holding the connection, the horn will most likely start beeping as an alarm from the security system activates while the car reboots.
8) if the voltage on the cable is 12-14V the HV contactor must be disconnected to shut-down the DC-DC converter.
9) Pull fuse F29 in the left side fuse box to disconnect the power to the HV contactor coil and completely shut down the power too the car. test to make sure the 12v battery is dead, then reconnect per step #7...
Car should reboot.

Attachments

• ModelS_SOP2014_RHD_SOP3 - Passenger side Fuse Box - HV Contactor coil fuse - F29-10amp.pdf
    361.8 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0