Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 vs 85D

P85 or 85D

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The P85 will be quieter than a dual-motor car. When I've driven P85D loaners, I was struck by the noticeable extra whine made by the front motor. But I'm told some people like it, and it makes them feel like they're in a rocket car from "The Jetsons," or something.

Driving characteristics are different. Especially if you drive on slick or winding roads, the all-wheel drive 85D will feel more stable and connected to the road. But some people like the feeling of being pushed forward by rear-wheel drive when they accelerate, like being strapped to the nosecone of a rocket ship. :)

And as nwdiver said, you get a lot more frunk storage in a P85 than in any model which came after it.

I've got a P85 and I've driven a P85D and a 85D as a loaner. The performance of the 85D is comparable to my P85.... The P85D was a whole other level. There is a little more noise from the front drive unit in the 85D. The biggest thing I'd miss with the 85D vs the P85 is the frunk space. I have ~2x as much space in my frunk vs the 85D. What I LOVE about the 'Ds' is how 'sticky' they are. I can break loose my rear wheels fairly easily.... it's almost impossible with a 'D'.

I agree that the D model makes you feel more "glued to the road", especially in turns. I live in the mountains (Asheville area) and was having my 100D serviced (12,000 mile) and they gave me a loaner P85 for 24 hours. I definitely noticed that I had to slow down a bit more in the turns on windy backroads with the P85. The P85 was this black high gloss beauty and had great acceleration on the straightaways, but certainly the AWD is "grippier" on winding backroads. If 0-60 in 4.1 seconds is OK vs 3.? seconds, then I'd go with the D model, especially if the prices are within 5k of each other.

We've got an 85D and have driven P85's and both of us greatly prefer the 85D because of better road feel and handling. The P85 is faster, but IMHO it's not a big deal. There is some whine with the 85D, but it's not a big deal at all, normally we don't notice it.

Definitely get AP.

I think the P is only faster if it's got 21s. With 19s I didn't notice that much of a difference. The P is just too traction limited without the 21s.

I think the P is only faster if it's got 21s. With 19s I didn't notice that much of a difference. The P is just too traction limited without the 21s.
Larger rims reduce sidewall flex which helps on cornering, straight line though sidewall is a good think
Focus less on rim size and consider 19" are likely a performance TOURING tire and 21" likely a higher performance class.