Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Tire Wear Report - Pilot Sport 4S - 15k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jedi2155

Model 3 has Arrived.
Jul 6, 2018
Upland, CA
So here's my tire wear after 15717 miles. Stock Tesla OEM PS4 S

Couple of notes
  • Front Left was replaced at 3909-4011 miles (service center in/out)
  • Front Right / Rear Left was replaced at 3469-3474 miles
  • Rear Right is stock tires from 0 miles (full 15717 miles)
upload_2019-7-4_4-33-10.png

When I do my rotation I plan on swapping:
RR to FL
RL to FR
FL to RL
FR to RR

Which is a Forward Cross that is normally recommended for FWD. Any one recommend otherwise?

tire_rotation_abc.png

Looks descent for that kind of mileage. Appreciate the update. These kind of data points are really helpful. I’ll try and do the same on mine as I rack up the miles. Your early replacements were due to potholes/road damage?
I’m running the exact same PSIs and am happy so far!

Ski

Looks descent for that kind of mileage. Appreciate the update. These kind of data points are really helpful. I’ll try and do the same on mine as I rack up the miles. Your early replacements were due to potholes/road damage?
I’m running the exact same PSIs and am happy so far!

Ski

Yep, damage due to a 3" road pavement marker...surprised at the damage at 25 mph. 2nd replacement was due to Tesla swapping out the wrong rim...lol.

So here's my tire wear after 15717 miles. Stock Tesla OEM PS4 S

Couple of notes
  • Front Left was replaced at 3909-4011 miles (service center in/out)
  • Front Right / Rear Left was replaced at 3469-3474 miles
  • Rear Right is stock tires from 0 miles (full 15717 miles)
View attachment 426343

When I do my rotation I plan on swapping:
RR to FL
RL to FR
FL to RL
FR to RR

Which is a Forward Cross that is normally recommended for FWD. Any one recommend otherwise?

tire_rotation_abc.png

I’m not dismissing that those numbers look good. But your percentages are a little misleading.

Tires are considered worn out at 2/32 not 0/32. Your 6/32 is 53% not 67%, When you’ve only run 12k miles out of a 30k tire.

Instead of doing 6/9.5 (63% tread left) I subtracted 2/32 from top and bottom to get 4/7.5 (53% percent tread left).

You don’t have 9.5/32 of usable tread to wear out, you only have 7.5/32 to wear out.

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
Asymmetrical actually so cross rotation is possible. Tire Rack Article
Uhm... these tires ARE directional - so cross pattern rotation will not work.

directional-tire-tread-patterns.png

@b0n3z did bring up a good point that while the tires allow for cross rotation....you'd have to remount the tires as the wheels themselves are NOT on the "turbine" rims. Red lines for reference.

upload_2019-7-10_20-10-38.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hoang51
I recently swapped wheel sets on my P3D+, and I was surprised at just how much more the rear tires wear compared to the fronts. This was not the case with my previous AWD cars (like my Evo 9). Clearly the car functions in RWD mode virtually all the time.