Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ 20” Winter Tires / Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TST has a package with 18 or 19 wheels. But Tesla to date does not have anything for the P3D+ performance with larger brakes.
I called Tesla today and they are now taking pre-reservations for a winter kit which will be available in 4 to 6 weeks.
The kit is very simple:
Same wheels as the current 20 inch wheels on the P3D+ with a winter tire.
This way they just increase their supply chain without disrupting the design requirements.
This solution is not ideal since you will loose range unlike a 20 inch tire that will be further affected by the cold sheathed and no wheel covers to improve mileage either.
I am guessing this will be a $4,500 premium on the already $5,000 we spent to have those red brakes if you want to stick to OEM and not aftermarket.

TST has a package with 18 or 19 wheels. But Tesla to date does not have anything for the P3D+ performance with larger brakes.
I called Tesla today and they are now taking pre-reservations for a winter kit which will be available in 4 to 6 weeks.
The kit is very simple:
Same wheels as the current 20 inch wheels on the P3D+ with a winter tire.
This way they just increase their supply chain without disrupting the design requirements.
This solution is not ideal since you will loose range unlike a 20 inch tire that will be further affected by the cold sheathed and no wheel covers to improve mileage either.
I am guessing this will be a $4,500 premium on the already $5,000 we spent to have those red brakes if you want to stick to OEM and not aftermarket.
Doesn’t seem worth it if you could get the TST’s for significant amount less...

That’s right. Pay more and get less range with more potential damage to the rims from the lower walls on the 20’s.
TST sounds like a good plan but they are on backorder for a few more weeks.
I guess the ICE 4x4 will be the back up soon at this rate.

Any other suppliers out there before I pull the trigger on the TST package?

Uhh yes definitely! You can pick up some wheels from VMR and they will mount/balance tires of your choice. They can machine the hub to fit a P3D+ and i can confirm that 19" wheels will easily clear your brakes. I just installed mine and could not be happier - i honestly didn't want to get TST or EVT since they are so common. These wheels are the V710FF and i have extreme summer tires, but you could obviously put something way different on them.

TeslaPhoto1Touched.jpg

Anyone tried All Season tires with the 20" on P3D+? How well are they?

As far as I know, Model X owner's smallest OEM wheels are 20" and they haven't seem to have any issues, not sure why P3D+ owners are stressing over the 20". Am I missing something?

I think I've narrowed down my choice to go with Tsportline's 18" TST Wheel - Flow Forged for Tesla Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade for $1200+140 shipping. I'll then settle down with Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires from Costco for a set of 4 costing $751.96+taxes & fees ($187.99/tire). Tsportline wanted way too much for their TPMS ($300), so I'll just have to go with the previously linked TPMS for $152.96 ($38.24/each). Initial total cost: $2,244.92. Much economically better than trying to buy another set of used 20" OEM rims and putting the aforementioned tires on. This is for northern VA, where we don't always see heavy snow, but at least these all season tires can handle some during the winter season if it has to be out on the road.

Anyone tried All Season tires with the 20" on P3D+? How well are they?

As far as I know, Model X owner's smallest OEM wheels are 20" and they haven't seem to have any issues, not sure why P3D+ owners are stressing over the 20". Am I missing something?

It's most likely due to sizing. The Model X has what some may say a more "common" tire size that has more tires available (from multiple brands). The P3D+ comes with a stock tire size that isn't as common (yet), so options are far more limited. For example, the only A/S tire is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

I will have those installed this week and I'll post an update about how they compare to the stock Michelin PS4S.

I think I've narrowed down my choice to go with Tsportline's 18" TST Wheel - Flow Forged for Tesla Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade for $1200+140 shipping. I'll then settle down with Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires from Costco for a set of 4 costing $751.96+taxes & fees ($187.99/tire). Tsportline wanted way too much for their TPMS ($300), so I'll just have to go with the previously linked TPMS for $152.96 ($38.24/each). Initial total cost: $2,244.92. Much economically better than trying to buy another set of used 20" OEM rims and putting the aforementioned tires on. This is for northern VA, where we don't always see heavy snow, but at least these all season tires can handle some during the winter season if it has to be out on the road.

Why not just swap your stock summer tires for all seasons?

Just got my winter wheels today from Tire Rack. I wasn't sure how they were going to look, but I actually like them for winter wheels. Hope this helps anyone else that is looking for wheels.
19X8 MONTE TITANO MT7 VENTOSO HYPER SILVER
245/40R-19 MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 XL
They fit well and have plenty of room around the calipers.
IMG_0276.jpg