Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Dilema

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post on the forum and looking forward to many more.

With two large'ish dogs and a 4 year old, my gut purchase option is a Model X but I am trying to cap the total purchase at roughly 80K

So, with that being said, if you were me, which direction would you move towards?
• 2016 CPO P90DL at around 77K
• 2016 90D at around 70K

or ?

Thanks and look forward to being part of the community real soon.

$80k will also buy you a lightly optioned brand new standard range Raven X (after tax credit) with almost the same range as the older 90s but more efficient, with better AP hardware and better suspension.

Not sure which way I'd go - usually 75s charge slower than 90/100, but that might not be true in this case.

Those are hypothetical cars based on prices I have seen. With that being said, fo you feel AP2 is an absolute must?

AP1 is a solid feature, still ahead of pretty much anything the rest of the industry is doing.

But it is at the limit of its development, and not upgradeable. AP2+ cars are already well ahead in performance (can't tell you much about AP2, but my new AP3 car is amazing - it has a few annoying bad habits but it almost never misreads a road, and can follow serious mountain hairpin turns with no issues, and I think it's using the same NNs as AP2 and AP2.5 cars are right now.)

If Tesla slices the FSD problem like they think they will, every AP2+ car will be upgradable to drive itself. AP1 cars never will.

There's also Sentry mode and Dashcam - much more confidence about what's happening around the car.

Given the choice, I'd absolutely pay a premium for AP2 over AP1 today.

$80k will also buy you a lightly optioned brand new standard range Raven X (after tax credit) with almost the same range as the older 90s but more efficient, with better AP hardware and better suspension.

Not sure which way I'd go - usually 75s charge slower than 90/100, but that might not be true in this case.

This. I'd buy a new base 100D (<$80k after tax credit if you can get one now).

Similar range and acceleration, and better suspension than a 90D. And a new warranty. And current AP hardware.

Last edited:
I’m having the same trouble deciding whether to go brand new or used. I’m more interested in speed than the newest technology, so I’m leaning towards getting the 2016 Model X P90DL. I can’t imagine I’ll keep the car for more than 3 or 4 years, so at that time I’ll upgrade to the newest thing. Depreciation of new cars has always been a hard pill to swallow and I promised myself I would never buy a new car again!

This is great help. Thanks ...

So buying a 2016 P90DL shouldn't be an option?

They're all options. You just need to figure out what's important to you and how long you'll keep the car.

I do expect the value of AP1 cars to drop significantly relative to AP2+ in the next year.

Which will create some great deals for folks who won't use the FSD features and dashcam/sentry.

The P90 is wickedly fast; how much more is that worth to you, knowing you only occasionally get to use that on the road?