Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered used 2016 S 70 - few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your help on the forum. I think I'm crazy, but I just did it - loved the exterior color and the leather it! Dropbox - 5YJSA1E10GF120633 - Simplify your life
I just put a deposit on a red 2016 S 70 (mid-year - so not new face) - just started the process - already approved for unsecured lighstream loan (4.8% - ouch) and waiting for Tesla loan amount to compare.
I also oticed that pictures are being sent much quicker now - sometimes within minutes.
Price is 45700 - I noticed that it was $54100 last week.

1) Is this mid-year identical to 2015 s 70? Would it be more advantageous (theoretically) to get 15 s 70 with 10k fewer miles for same amount?
2) when checking VIN - for some reason carfax does not specify model 70. Another website (vehiclehistory.com) - shows model 60 in description. Not sure if it really matters.
3) What's would be the best charger? (tesla or standard 240v 14-60)?

Thanks a lot everyone!

...model 60 in description. Not sure if it really matters...

Some Model S 60 cannot use Supercharger unless paying $2,000 more for the access.

...tesla or standard 240v 14-60)?

I think NEMA 14-50 outlet is more simple to install but I prefer HPWC because it is more convenient as it's always there on the wall for me to reach and I don't have to worry about hooking/unhooking the mobile kit for the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Agreed on HPWC as well - it seems as 14-50 could have longevity issues.

By all means get a HPWC if you want one, but spending $500 because you’re concerned about the “longevity” of a max $50 receptacle (that’s for a very good one that would last many years) is pretty silly.

I have 2 years and 65,000 miles of nearly exclusive charging on my UMC and a $29 outdoor 14-50 receptacle. Zero issues. I’ve probably unplugged the UMC to take it with me less than 15 times. Mostly it just stays put.

Update - I've picked it up this weekend in Orlando / Eatonvile and had a wonderful road-trip to Miami.

The Good things:
- I'm happy about the car, still can't believe I made it. Buying process overall was super easy.
- Driving emotions - fantastic (i've been going to multiple dealerships in last 2,5 months searching for a car and test driving Alfa Romeos Ti Sport, BMW 3,4, X6, Mustang GT, Audi sq5, Porsche Macan Sport / S, Mercedec AMG c43 -all nice vehicles, but I would still pick model s over it).
- Buying process was extremely easy (good communication from Sales Manager, Scheduling, Finance manager).
- Tuesday's morning I saw the vehicle popped up on the screen search, immedialty paid and saw the car was removed from search. Tuesday's afternoon I received a phone call from sales manager (primarily to establish expectations) and established approximate pickup date. Thursday/Friday established.
- Big clean facility, amentities, drinks, very friendly staff.
- Payment was - easy - I was able to pay $5000 with a credit card in the store, in addition to paying $2500 deposit.
- The pick-up process was efficient and well organized - I was able to inspect the car before signing paperwork. Everything was ready and organized.
- Car was washed/cleaned and had what I consider brand new tires. Was fully charged - battery was showing 227 miles at 98%. Cars had temporary tag already attached to it.
- I received a good and non-rushed demo of the vehicle and abilities. I enjoyed the experience and instructions, but you could be out in 15 minutes for sure.
- Interior - like new. Clean carfax
- No problem in using superchargers or Tesla's L2 chargers. I am working on getting electrician come buy and give me quotes, but right now I have 35 SC stalls near my house which I plan to use charging to 75-80% and running down to 15-20%.

Cons (mostly minor - except for the dent):
- couldn't pick it up in Miami (minor for me, since we enjoyed the roadtrip, but would be more difficult to walk away from the deal, especially considering I planned to do lease return). they mentioned people drive 1000s of miles to pick up cars and some leave without cars.
- Exterior had a dent (about 3 inches by 1,5 inch) which I didnt see on the pictures (and it didn't have a ruler picture like i've seen before). I called my sales manager, he adviced to refuse delivery if I wasn't satisfied and he'd work on helping me find another car, since he couldnt promise they will be able to do anything about dent. I thought it over for 15-20 minutes, checked available inventory, did some math and still decided to purchase. Figured it can't be that expensive to fix still in the process of getting estimates. Was told it should be about $250-450 job. Still trying to work it through with Tesla - my main gripe being lack of the picture with ruler - and it would be very difficult ot see this dent on the dropbox link above. I see a great opportunity for some bodyshops/dent places - and Tesla could increase margins.
- couldn't get original delivery PDF / sticker to view full list of options
- had to pay $250 more in tag fees even when since my previously leased car didnt't pay initial registration or something. This is normal - happened to other people too in FL.
- can't see the warranty status anywhere yet (tesla account / car) - gentleman wasn't sure about CPO warranty / battery warranty (recent hire)
- some information is not visisble in the car (like how many supercharges I've made).

It seems as CPO team is improving (pictures being sent fast, quick scheduling) - but of course there's room for improvement. I think that leasing could help tesla reach even more people in the future.
I hope it's helpful for someone and can have you better prepared for your used tesla experience.

20181103_182931.jpg
20181103_181904.jpg

Update - I've picked it up this weekend in Orlando / Eatonvile and had a wonderful road-trip to Miami.

The Good things:
- I'm happy about the car, still can't believe I made it. Buying process overall was super easy.
- Driving emotions - fantastic (i've been going to multiple dealerships in last 2,5 months searching for a car and test driving Alfa Romeos Ti Sport, BMW 3,4, X6, Mustang GT, Audi sq5, Porsche Macan Sport / S, Mercedec AMG c43 -all nice vehicles, but I would still pick model s over it).
- Buying process was extremely easy (good communication from Sales Manager, Scheduling, Finance manager).
- Tuesday's morning I saw the vehicle popped up on the screen search, immedialty paid and saw the car was removed from search. Tuesday's afternoon I received a phone call from sales manager (primarily to establish expectations) and established approximate pickup date. Thursday/Friday established.
- Big clean facility, amentities, drinks, very friendly staff.
- Payment was - easy - I was able to pay $5000 with a credit card in the store, in addition to paying $2500 deposit.
- The pick-up process was efficient and well organized - I was able to inspect the car before signing paperwork. Everything was ready and organized.
- Car was washed/cleaned and had what I consider brand new tires. Was fully charged - battery was showing 227 miles at 98%. Cars had temporary tag already attached to it.
- I received a good and non-rushed demo of the vehicle and abilities. I enjoyed the experience and instructions, but you could be out in 15 minutes for sure.
- Interior - like new. Clean carfax
- No problem in using superchargers or Tesla's L2 chargers. I am working on getting electrician come buy and give me quotes, but right now I have 35 SC stalls near my house which I plan to use charging to 75-80% and running down to 15-20%.

Cons (mostly minor - except for the dent):
- couldn't pick it up in Miami (minor for me, since we enjoyed the roadtrip, but would be more difficult to walk away from the deal, especially considering I planned to do lease return). they mentioned people drive 1000s of miles to pick up cars and some leave without cars.
- Exterior had a dent (about 3 inches by 1,5 inch) which I didnt see on the pictures (and it didn't have a ruler picture like i've seen before). I called my sales manager, he adviced to refuse delivery if I wasn't satisfied and he'd work on helping me find another car, since he couldnt promise they will be able to do anything about dent. I thought it over for 15-20 minutes, checked available inventory, did some math and still decided to purchase. Figured it can't be that expensive to fix still in the process of getting estimates. Was told it should be about $250-450 job. Still trying to work it through with Tesla - my main gripe being lack of the picture with ruler - and it would be very difficult ot see this dent on the dropbox link above. I see a great opportunity for some bodyshops/dent places - and Tesla could increase margins.
- couldn't get original delivery PDF / sticker to view full list of options
- had to pay $250 more in tag fees even when since my previously leased car didnt't pay initial registration or something. This is normal - happened to other people too in FL.
- can't see the warranty status anywhere yet (tesla account / car) - gentleman wasn't sure about CPO warranty / battery warranty (recent hire)
- some information is not visisble in the car (like how many supercharges I've made).

It seems as CPO team is improving (pictures being sent fast, quick scheduling) - but of course there's room for improvement. I think that leasing could help tesla reach even more people in the future.
I hope it's helpful for someone and can have you better prepared for your used tesla experience.

View attachment 350332 View attachment 350333

Thanks for the detailed pick up information. That dent/ding seems moderate, I really hope if you could find the way to fix it cheap (if possible, from local shop maybe?). I didn't know that you could pay $5000 CC deposit on top of $2500 initial deposit. We will definitely do the same thing. One of the best part of Tesla's used program (please don't call CPO, because they are not CPO anymore) is 40k/5yr Tesla warranty. I would've not purchased without this. Make sure to confirm that with whoever available. If I were you, I would probably refuse the delivery if the 40k/5yr warranty was not confirmed (I'm pretty sure it is there somewhere though, it's probably in your contract for sure).

enjoy your car. Congrat!

Reactions: kerch2007