Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many other companies out there will let you say “ok, I’m going to pay you 0.5% of the cost of a product now, but in exchange I want to be able to take delivery of the product at literally any time in the future of my choosing, and also keep the current price”?

None, because that’s crazy. Let’s not pretend that’s “fair” because it suits our narrative.
For most of these orders, it was actually 0.2%.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
So here's the final update update:
- Original order placed (M3P) 3/2021
- My order was taken off hold automatically on 11/30
- VIN and delivery notification were received 12/1
- Messaged my advisor to let him know I can't take the car yet. VIN was unmatched and my order is gone from my account.

I'm not faulting Tesla at all - I understand they can't have orders sit open forever. The timing just wasn't right for me (and the price difference is only $1000 from current pricing). So that's what happens if you don't take delivery folks.
Sorry to hear that. On the bright side, if you reorder you’re only down $2K, and if this bill passes (and you qualify), you’re ahead $6K from where you would be had you accepted the car this month. Plus, you just saved a lot of other TMC members the trouble of doing the same experiment.

I do wonder though how Tesla justifies violating its own terms and conditions. It says they can terminate your order 30 days after they first offer you a car, not 1 day. The T&C should be legally binding.

I do wonder though how Tesla justifies violating its own terms and conditions. It says they can terminate your order 30 days after they first offer you a car, not 1 day. The T&C should be legally binding.
“Messaged my advisor and let him know I can’t take the car yet.”

Tesla didn’t terminate the order, speedy7 did when they declined delivery.

I also question whether this is against the terms and conditions. As I said upthread, I’m confident Tesla can cancel an order pretty much any time for any reason provided they refund the order fee. The TCs specify the terms by which they can cancel the order and KEEP the order fee.

My agreement is from May 5th and it only says I need to take delivery after the first attempt within 90 days. My first VIN was assigned October 12th. So technically I should have until January 12th and on. Perhaps that’s why my EDD is Jan 8th - Feb 5th. Does anyone else on here have a 7 seater? I am just wondering how much that is having an effect on EDD.

Attachments

• 43834EC5-C1F2-45B6-909C-F45B587581F7.jpeg
    43834EC5-C1F2-45B6-909C-F45B587581F7.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Received this text message from some random number that had my name and the correct reservation number. However, I already released the hold in October, but they are still sent me this? My order is $8k less than if I were to purchase it today. I did reply YES and chatted online with Tesla, but they weren't sure why it was sent and told me a SA would contact me.
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 9.06.09 PM.png

Tesla should have continued to allow holds but simply have the order price reset to current MSRP when the hold is released.

Then people could continue to use holds for valid reasons. Everybody wins. 🤷‍♂️
This was supposed to be an option (per the email I posted upthread). The three options were take delivery immediately, update your pricing to current, or face cancellation. I never got to take advantage of the "update your pricing to current" option though.

On the bright side, my SA offered to put my original $100 deposit towards a new order. I asked if they could just waive the whole order fee since it's now $250 (to get me the equivalent of the "update your pricing to current" option that they didn't let me exercise), but haven't heard back. Not holding my breath but figured I'd ask.

Worst case scenario I'm out the $1k price increase + an additional $150 order fee. Not the end of the world to take delivery when I want vs when Tesla wants me to.

I don't think anyone here strong-armed Tesla into putting a hold on their order? Not sure what is unreasonable about someone expecting Tesla to honor a hold date that they agreed to put in place.
I think a lot of the angst in this thread is coming from people that either couldn't delay delivery until next year, or didn't think about trying to put their order on hold till after the new year. Also also some unrest about finding out some people that ordered a Tesla for much less than what they paid are trying to also get the new EV tax credit.

Like I said before, hate the system, not the players. That being said, people that reserved Teslas for 6,7,8k under the current price shouldn't really have much room to complain if Tesla is threatening to cancel their order if they don't take delivery this month. But to the people that are trying to push delivery till next year, all the power to you and GL!

I think a lot of the angst in this thread is coming from people that either couldn't delay delivery until next year, or didn't think about trying to put their order on hold till after the new year.
Correct for me. My original EDD was April '22 so that's why I ordered when I did. They moved it up to November then agreed to delay it to January '22. Now they're threatening to cancel. I understand there's an order agreement but when a manager tells me their policy says I can hold for 90 days and my order is on hold, but then I get a cancellation email saying something completely different, it's frustrating. For my budget, the price when I ordered less the potential tax credit was the only way I could fit it in. Unfortunately I won't be reordering if it's cancelled but I'll click I'm Ready on Dec 8th. 🙁

Correct for me. My original EDD was April '22 so that's why I ordered when I did. They moved it up to November then agreed to delay it to January '22. Now they're threatening to cancel. I understand there's an order agreement but when a manager tells me their policy says I can hold for 90 days and my order is on hold, but then I get a cancellation email saying something completely different, it's frustrating. For my budget, the price when I ordered less the potential tax credit was the only way I could fit it in. Unfortunately I won't be reordering if it's cancelled but I'll click I'm Ready on Dec 8th. 🙁
You will probably make it into January, 🤞. I was on the December 6th wave and am kicking myself for not holding out until the last minute to take it off of hold.

First post!

Ordered MYLR blue/black/5/tow in mid May. Put on hold in September when they offered first delivery - they said the hold would be until 12/31/2021. Then, on November 22, I received the dreaded email saying this:

Your order is set to cancel soon, but if you still intend to take delivery, please contact [email protected] by December 6, 2021.​
If we do not hear from you by this date, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. Your order will automatically be cancelled and your order fee forfeited.​

Today I went in to the local store to speak with someone. He did not look up my account, but said that he recommends replying to the email ASAP. I was/am planning to wait until this Sunday, in a blatant effort to buy as much time as possible to take delivery in 2022. Does anyone have any insight as to whether they would actually cancel before the December 6th deadline they just gave me? I understand that the Order Agreement allows them to cancel, but it would be poor form to specify a deadline and then cancel beforehand, IMHO.

First post!

Ordered MYLR blue/black/5/tow in mid May. Put on hold in September when they offered first delivery - they said the hold would be until 12/31/2021. Then, on November 22, I received the dreaded email saying this:

Your order is set to cancel soon, but if you still intend to take delivery, please contact [email protected] by December 6, 2021.​
If we do not hear from you by this date, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. Your order will automatically be cancelled and your order fee forfeited.​

Today I went in to the local store to speak with someone. He did not look up my account, but said that he recommends replying to the email ASAP. I was/am planning to wait until this Sunday, in a blatant effort to buy as much time as possible to take delivery in 2022. Does anyone have any insight as to whether they would actually cancel before the December 6th deadline they just gave me? I understand that the Order Agreement allows them to cancel, but it would be poor form to specify a deadline and then cancel beforehand, IMHO.
If they gave you a deadline, I think it’s safe to assume they will honor it.

But if you miss that deadline or try to delay, they will almost certainly cancel it.

Good luck.

April to January is more than 90 days.

Its good to see some people realizing how good of a deal they're getting. If you're not happy and want to buy another Y for tax reasons next year. Look at the resale value on cars with 10-15K miles. You can make out really good.

Hm I took off around the same time and mine's March. Also in SoCal. What's your build configuration and when did you place your order?
Mine's AWD, Black color, White seats, nothing else. Early 2020 order.
You're lucky you get a March delivery date. I ordered late 2020 and took the hold off on Dec 1st and given EDD for last two weeks of December. Keeping my fingers crossed the date will be pushed into 2022 but I've mostly seen reports of changes to earlier dates for old orders.