Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Option to leave windows down in "winter" mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we open a door, the windows will all adjust down a little bit if the temperature is close to freezing. This is so the windows don't scratch the trim if they are frozen in place when you open the door and cannot move down to clear the top trim. That's all nice but sometimes it's still warm when you park the car but it freezes overnight. You arrive in the morning and the windows are still completely up. It happened to me this morning.
I would like the option to always leave the windows in that "slightly down" position. I would use that as soon as we get freezing nights (aka now) until spring when it stays warm enough.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Upvote 0
My windows go down a small amount when the door opens no matter what the temperature is. Can't you just use the door switch to open the window(s) you want open and leave the car? If I do that by mistake, I get a text that they are open, but they do not close by themselves. Is the software different in Canada?

When you open a door, that window goes down so the door can open. It goes back up when you close the door. That's not what I'm talking about. When it's cold enough, the first time you open a door ALL 4 windows will readjust downwards a bit and stay lower. I want that, but all the time instead of letting the car decide when to do it.

The only window that goes down in my 3 and Y is the one in the door I open. I am not familiar with what you are experiencing, sorry.

I would not want my windows down all night as it would let the weather in and possible critters. It would make it easier for thieves to get into the car, although the alarm would still get triggered. We do not have a garage.

The car CAN do it - my model Y did exactly that some time yesterday. It opened all 4 windows by 1/2 inch or so and I've no idea why, as all were shut when I locked it after a short drive and the temperature was well above freezing. I did not get a notification in the app.

Of course, there was torrential rain last night and it all ran straight off the roof into the car, so the interior now has puddles on the carpet, in the door pockets, on the seats, in the window switches, etc. This is a car less than a year old and to say I'm annoyed is an extreme understatement. It's now sitting on my driveway with the conditioning set to 26 degrees and all 5 seat heaters on low, although I suspect that its on recirculation because it reached temperature very quickly. That won't ventilate the moisture but short of putting on a wet suit and driving around for a couple of hours (risking being arrested) I'm not sure what else I can do.

I did check that. The vent button only appears in the Climate page of my app and I've never used it - and I hadn't looked at that page for weeks. I know that leaving the app live means that it could select itself when in my pocket but I always close the app after using it. When my Android phone was new it apparently kept dialling 999 when in my pocket and I didn't know until I got a rather irate phone call asking me if I needed emergency services - so I'm pretty careful never to leave anything open when the phone is in my pocket; I do accept though that this is the most likely cause.

Reactions: zoomer0056
If you declare the windows "open" as in "water can get in the car" then that is NOT what I'm talking about here. That is a different issue that can either be "vent", the windows might need calibration, or like me you sometimes touch the window control with your arm/elbow as you are opening the door and a window goes down. Took me a while to realize I was the culprit in that case.