Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions needed on adding additional 12V outlets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gctseng

All around good guy
Jun 10, 2013
United States
Will be opening up various parts of the Tesla over the next few months (shhh, don't tell the Missus) and wanted to get opinions about where a good location for mounting extra 12V outlets. More importantly, suggestions or experience of where to tap either always-on or "ignition-based" power would be great (or add a fuse box and run separate circuits-ugh).

Right now, I'm thinking at least:

1. Frunk X 1

Always on, 30A.

2. Trunk X 1

Always on, 15A.

3. Passenger compartment X 1

Always on, 15A-Both kids have a smart phone (neither of whom are smart enough to maintain a full-day's charge--yes, I'm talking about the kids). Don't know what's under the passenger compartment vents in the center console, but I'd guess it's space only enough for the ducts for the vents.

Any thoughts and links to other threads appreciated. Did a search and most questions were related to how much power could safely be pulled from the existing 12V outlet.

Here's a thread on how a guy added jump start posts in the frunk:
12 Volt Battery ICE'd

This should give you a good idea of how to do a power outlet instead (would be much easier to mount a smaller power port). Just use 10 gauge wire or so and don't forget to add a 30 amp fuse by the post. You must do a fuse as you could end up plugging in a device with a short or too heavy of a load which would result in the wire melting and possibly starting a fire.

I really want a power outlet in the trunk too, but haven't had the time to start pulling carpet out and hunting down a good power source. Good luck with your project!

Thanks. I've started a Google account for my Tesla and will be documenting everything I do on Google drive or maybe plus (front license plate, glovebox light, etc.) to share with anyone that cares. It will allow me to put higher rez pics too.

Our right rear window spotted working recently so I'll try to ask the tech some Q's when I'm there. Although we really need a good service manual.

I ran a reverse jumper to feed power from the power seat fuse (hot side) through a fuse to the fused side of the fuse that feeds the console power outlet. It is now always on. I have a small Dometic refrigerator in the back that has been running for 4 or 5 months continuously. My power runs from the outlet across the back floor over the seat and between the seats. If you find an easy way to get the wires to the back I'm all ears.

I ran a reverse jumper to feed power from the power seat fuse (hot side) through a fuse to the fused side of the fuse that feeds the console power outlet. It is now always on. I have a small Dometic refrigerator in the back that has been running for 4 or 5 months continuously. My power runs from the outlet across the back floor over the seat and between the seats. If you find an easy way to get the wires to the back I'm all ears.

Pictures would be nice.

I added a 12V outlet in the back seat, and bought a 12V to (2) USB port adapter for it. I tapped into the 12V socket between the front seats:

11521_10201446676387883_412604365_n.jpg

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
BTW, that's a small 12V-USB adaptor--very nice! I looked around and for people looking for this adapter, supposedly these will be on sale tomorrow for 15% off:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-pcs-lot-Mini-Dual-USB-Ports-Auto-Power-Jolt-Car-Charger-Adaptor-for-New-Apple/924365214.html

I'll probably order 3 of them (they sell up to 10!!! as well) as it's more of a pain to try and use the ones with the attached cables. I've ordered several things from this site before, and although it's filled by different vendors and some do take longer to ship than others, I've always received the goods within 10-15 days. One burdensome thing is that you may have to sign for a registered letter or even have to pick it up from the post office.

-EJ

What panels did you have to pull off to get to the existing 12V adapter? I don't presume you have any pictures of the in process portions?

The entire center console has to come out, all the way up to the side rails under the touch screen. Lift up the carpet (or yacht floor), remove the screws, and start undoing the dozens of clips. It took about 3 hours from start to finish.

Yes, go over to EVAPPLIQUES.COM. The lighted applique. Locate the installation instructions. Download them. Scroll through. Look for the references to connect to the liftgate controller for power.

I did it a while back. I added a 4 pole/fuse box and tapped the controller once. Now I can add other 12V power easily.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D