Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Month of Ownership - Review and Aftermarket Things

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have now owned my 85D for a month and racked up about 1600 miles on it and love every moment of it. I have an 85D with autopilot, uhfs, pano roof, next gen seats, premium lighting and air suspension. The car is faster than I need and the couple of times I have launched with it have been exhilarating but I am finding it more 'fun' to see how efficiently I can drive it. My first 1000 miles were at about 311 Wh/mi and the second 600 have been at 303 Wh/mi. What I find is that during my commute (25 miles each way) I am getting about 275 Wh/mi it is the city driving (stopping then accelerating) that is killing my efficiency.

Upon purchase I wasn't entirely sure what aftermarket things I would do but decided on the following (with recommendations of my vendors as they have all been AMAZING):

Photosync Tinting - Premier Mobile Group in Fremont. They were awesome. Great quality work and 'reasonable' prices. The photosync is perfect for reducing the heat energy in the car and the darker tinting on the rears look great.

Opticoat Pro - Diamond Car Care Systems in Menlo Park. Also nothing but raves from me. They took great care of my car and the Opticoat pro is something that makes me smile every time I see my car as she shines like she is brand new. I didn't buy into the soft paint marketing that has been pervasive on these boards, I did it because I wanted my car to look sparklingly new all the time (or most of the time).

Ecohitch - Midnight Automotive in Redwood City. Needed a hitch and wanted something that wouldn't ruin the aesthetics of the car so the ecohitch was the only choice. While Midnight is not a 'body shop' as recommended they had raves on Yelp so I decided to 'risk' it with them. That said I couldn't be more thrilled. Might still get the cover from Torklift Central but I am so happy with the hitch and the quality of the work.

The last aftermarket thing I am considering and will probably do are some 19" metallic grey wheels from TSportline. Waiting for them to come off back order.

Have I mentioned I am thrilled with the car and everything about it?

Now some photos:

IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2410.jpg
CELL MIX 335.jpg
CELL MIX 336.jpg

Gorgeous.

So the Opticoat is really worth it? I have a P85D coming and, while they can't give me exact numbers until they see the car, they are estimating b/w $700 and $1K. I'm okay with that if it will bring a daily smile. Comments from a new owner please!!

Again - that car is amazing looking.

I would submit that the statement that Opticoat "makes it shine like brand new" may not mean much here. After all, at only one month the car is brand new.

FWIW, the head detailer in the Costa Mesa delivery location told me that he doesn't see much value in any of the after market coatings over and above a good cleaning and wax job.

I have my doubts about the longevity of these new high tech coatings.......especially at the cost. For my new 85D I went with Meguiar's G12718 Synthetic Wax 2.0. It has great reviews promising to last a years worth of car washes. I applied it with an electric automotive polisher. If I have to do it twice a year, no problem........less than $20 invested. Pleased so far.

I would submit that the statement that Opticoat "makes it shine like brand new" may not mean much here. After all, at only one month the car is brand new.

FWIW, the head detailer in the Costa Mesa delivery location told me that he doesn't see much value in any of the after market coatings over and above a good cleaning and wax job.

Ah, no.

I put Gtechniq C1 and EXOv2 on my Model S and I can tell you it makes a huge difference. It's coming up on two years since I put it on. Whomever is still saying that the nano-sealants with hydrophobic properties does nothing over old fashioned wax either has a vested interest in old fashioned wax or has been using the wrong products. The hydrophobic properties alone means that my car is essentially washed with a rain storm. Rain mostly dries without any spots. If I drive it to dry after a rain, it looks like I just washed the car in all areas except for the very back where the airflow isn't enough to prevent spotting. This is almost two years later. To maintain the car, I sometimes use an automated brushless car wash and then I hand dry - I pay for the cheapest car wash in the winter with no wax, then dry the car in my garage with microfiber cloths. The time to maintain without waxing is much shorter and further, the car looks cleaner most of the time between washes and after rain storms.

Ah, no.

I put Gtechniq C1 and EXOv2 on my Model S and I can tell you it makes a huge difference. It's coming up on two years since I put it on. Whomever is still saying that the nano-sealants with hydrophobic properties does nothing over old fashioned wax either has a vested interest in old fashioned wax or has been using the wrong products. The hydrophobic properties alone means that my car is essentially washed with a rain storm. Rain mostly dries without any spots. If I drive it to dry after a rain, it looks like I just washed the car in all areas except for the very back where the airflow isn't enough to prevent spotting. This is almost two years later. To maintain the car, I sometimes use an automated brushless car wash and then I hand dry - I pay for the cheapest car wash in the winter with no wax, then dry the car in my garage with microfiber cloths. The time to maintain without waxing is much shorter and further, the car looks cleaner most of the time between washes and after rain storms.

Two years without detailing is pretty impressive.
As for self-washing in rain…what is this "rain" that you speak of? I live in SoCal. :)

I had my P85D mc red C-quartzd. Same price as Opti but much much glossier. If you are looking for a huge smile after washed C-Quartz finest is much shinier.

My detailer applies/sells both but he prefers C-Quartz. He says the difference in glossiness is night an day better plus a host of other benefits. Less spotting, etc.

Definitely worth it. I love it and would do it again. Definitely Glossier and more hydrophobic than even the best waxes & sealants. Waxes/sealants do not compare and I have some of the best, high end sealants and Carnuba waxes.

The car doesn't wash itself in the rain. Lol. It does wash much much quicker and easier.

Just over 1 month here too... I bought a cQuartz UK kit and applied myself, it was a full day and very challenging/nerve racking but I do like the results and rain actually has done a decent job washing, depending on the type of rain etc.

But at this point I'm just really trying to protect the paint while it cures... in fact I'm kinda disappointed that the coating has added some darkness and extra shine as part of me wanted to enjoy the factory look, at least for a bit ;)

I am growing anxious at the thought of 1st winter and needing to brush snow, driving in salt, road sand, etc. but hey, it's a car that's what they do up here ;)

Valid point on it looking like brand new as it is. The point I am making is that in advance of the opticoat after a week of driving and sitting in the driveway the car looked dirty and now a week post opticoat it has a much higher luster.

I think the highest value thing I did (also the most expensive) was the photosync.

Valid point on it looking like brand new as it is. The point I am making is that in advance of the opticoat after a week of driving and sitting in the driveway the car looked dirty and now a week post opticoat it has a much higher luster.

I think the highest value thing I did (also the most expensive) was the photosync.

what percentage did you get on your windows? They look nice!

Ah, no.

Tech maven, did you apply yourself or have a detailed(sounds like you did it yourself)? I'm in RIC as well. If a detailer, I would appreciate the name. If yourself, any issues with application? I've read many opinions and difficulty...
thank you,
bp3

Yes @Sosius is correct. The 75 in the front is truly transparent (although some rainbowing if I am wearing polarized glasses). On the front sides the 65 is just a hair 'grey' but still clearish. The back 3 windows are noticeably darker. All this said the real strength of the photosync is that it blocks so much of the solar thermal energy. Huge noticeable difference.

Tech maven, did you apply yourself or have a detailed(sounds like you did it yourself)? I'm in RIC as well. If a detailer, I would appreciate the name. If yourself, any issues with application? I've read many opinions and difficulty...
thank you,
bp3

I did it myself... I had one area with difficulty with the C1. There are some retailers in Richmond that will do the equivalent. Are you going to this week's Cars and Coffee?