Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ONE Energy Startup will be producing battery replacement for Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello friends,

I have been following this company called ONE.ai since their first article: A Michigan startup doubled a Tesla's range by customizing it with a special battery. Supposedly, they have indicated they could possibly produce replacement batteries for some of the EVs, including TESLA Model S soon. I've checked their page and investors relations news at their site, and they indicated they could be producing EV batteries by late 2023 or 2024.

What are your thoughts? For older years TESLA MODEL S/X owners, this could be a life saver for them as their battery ages and it runs out of warranty. Heck, it might even be a cheaper option than actually going through TESLA to replace the HV battery.

Some details on the battery:

Apparently it's a pack with two cell chemistries: LFP and an "anode-free" cell. LFP gets used primarily, and the anode-free cells backfill the LFP batteries via an onboard DC-DC converter. My guess is the anode-free cells have a very limited number of charge cycles since the page says the LFP batteries are used for daily driving. I'd expect significantly less power available from this pack and a relatively complicated BMS since it seems to be operating as two battery packs, not one. I wonder how that will integrate with Tesla's existing system.

Some details on the battery:

Apparently it's a pack with two cell chemistries: LFP and an "anode-free" cell. LFP gets used primarily, and the anode-free cells backfill the LFP batteries via an onboard DC-DC converter. My guess is the anode-free cells have a very limited number of charge cycles since the page says the LFP batteries are used for daily driving. I'd expect significantly less power available from this pack and a relatively complicated BMS since it seems to be operating as two battery packs, not one. I wonder how that will integrate with Tesla's existing system.

I think ONE.ai definitely worth a look when it gets produced. I'm excited since there will be a great many other vendors coming into the third party battery space that doesn't just re-balance Tesla Battery packs.

I read there's a startup in California in which you can rent batteries for the BMW, Leaf, and Tesla. Ample - Electric Cars for Everyone.

Also, when Quantum Scape finally gets their solid state batteries to production, by end of this year or 2024, we will have even more options. Solid State is less heavier and can hold more charge.

Exciting times.

How fast can they charge the Batteries that are removed? Do they charge the Batteries to 100%. How many Batteries can be charged at once? What is the capacity of Cars per hour they can service? Can the system automatically disconnect and reconnect the Battery cooling lines

Hello friends,

I have been following this company called ONE.ai since their first article: A Michigan startup doubled a Tesla's range by customizing it with a special battery. Supposedly, they have indicated they could possibly produce replacement batteries for some of the EVs, including TESLA Model S soon. I've checked their page and investors relations news at their site, and they indicated they could be producing EV batteries by late 2023 or 2024.

What are your thoughts? For older years TESLA MODEL S/X owners, this could be a life saver for them as their battery ages and it runs out of warranty. Heck, it might even be a cheaper option than actually going through TESLA to replace the HV battery.
Replacing the battery pack with something other than OEM would mean it’s a different car from a regulatory standpoint. First thing that comes to mind is how will they afford crash testing and certification?

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Replacing the battery pack with something other than OEM would mean it’s a different car from a regulatory standpoint. First thing that comes to mind is how will they afford crash testing and certification?
They done this out in California. A battery swapping startup. They replaced the batteries of different EVs with their technology. An example is a leaf, they put their modular batteries in instead of using the OEM batteries.

California startup touts battery-swapping to juice demand for electric vehicles

Don't think it's a concern.

So people could buy a new car drive 1 mile say “now it’s used” and remove all safety and emissions equipment?

Do you have a source for this?
Hi welcome to the aftermarket. SEMA will be of use to you.
As well as an understanding of how simple it is to supercharge/turbocharge an ice vehicle or add a 50gal+ fuel tank to your diesel truck.

This isn’t AUS, engineering doesn’t need to be done every time you play with your possessions.

Reactions: MP3Mike
So people could buy a new car drive 1 mile say “now it’s used” and remove all safety and emissions equipment?
People do it all the time. Look at all of the trucks where they remove the diesel exhaust treatment system on new trucks. (The EPA has started going after companies that supply the "delete" kits, since they can legally only be installed on "off-road" vehicles.)

Emissions are different, as there are federal mandates on that and most states have emissions testing, so you have to pass that. Some states even check safety items. For example, in Oregon, there is only emissions testing, no safety inspection necessary. Does that mean it is legal? No, but unless you are in a collision and somebody figures out it was because of a safety system delete issue you aren't going to get caught.

You don't have to do any crash testing when you replace the bumper covers, put on wide-body fenders, or anything like that with aftermarket parts. (But if Tesla changed those parts on new vehicles, they would have to.)

People do it all the time. Look at all of the trucks where they remove the diesel exhaust treatment system on new trucks. (The EPA has started going after companies that supply the "delete" kits, since they can legally only be installed on "off-road" vehicles.)

Emissions are different, as there are federal mandates on that and most states have emissions testing, so you have to pass that. Some states even check safety items. For example, in Oregon, there is only emissions testing, no safety inspection necessary. Does that mean it is legal? No, but unless you are in a collision and somebody figures out it was because of a safety system delete issue you aren't going to get caught.

You don't have to do any crash testing when you replace the bumper covers, put on wide-body fenders, or anything like that with aftermarket parts. (But if Tesla changed those parts on new vehicles, they would have to.)
I see. Learning something new every day😁

Unfortunately, their plan is to sell directly to OEMs. BMW is their first public partnership. They will be developing a battery for the iX platform.

Hi Howard,

Thank you for contacting ONE. We currently do not plan to offer our battery packs / cells directly to the public and instead will work with OEMs to introduce our technology in future vehicles. In that manner, the public can enjoy the experience of ONE battery packs through vehicle OEMs.

If you would like to join us on this journey, please follow our LinkedIn profile here, or visit our website at one.ai for the latest news.

We appreciate your continued support!

Kind Regards,

Jonah Bogarin
Account Coordinator
ONE | Our Next Energy, Inc.
+1.734.546.6144
45145 Twelve Mile Rd, Novi, MI 48377

Reactions: cmaster