Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG - Supercharging standard in all Model 3's - wowsers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meh. 60's aren't a blip on the radar.
  • I'd bet that at least half of them are already supercharger enabled
  • 60s are less likely to skip chargers, so they're charging higher in the taper more often than the bigger batteries
  • If a 60 is getting clipped by a paired charger, the 60 is charging at the same rate as an 85 would anyway
  • If charging to your mileage + % reserve (like, getting app notifications at 7% that your car is ready), the 60 actually charges less total miles--at the top of the taper, no less, where charging takes the longest.
Not to mention that in the game of paired charger roulette, putting your money on pairing up with the 60 is your best bet.

They are if there aren't that many of them and only half of them are supercharger enabled. Let me say it again, out of 50+ supercharging sessions I've never seen a single 60 charging. Out of the thousands of MSs on the road I've seen in the last 3 years, I've NEVER EVER seen an S60. Not once....except for the loaner I had from Tesla. And yes, I'm OCD about looking at every badge.

I've only been clipped by another MS twice.

They are if there aren't that many of them and only half of them are supercharger enabled. Let me say it again, out of 50+ supercharging sessions I've never seen a single 60 charging. Out of the thousands of MSs on the road I've seen in the last 3 years, I've NEVER EVER seen an S60. Not once....except for the loaner I had from Tesla. And yes, I'm OCD about looking at every badge.

I've only been clipped by another MS twice.

But you are talking about past experience, not future. CPO process is enabling supercharging and currently there are hundreds of CPO S60s in the system. If they start selling those again they'll be out there. If they hold them for loaners then you'll see them as people use them as loaners. Either way there will be more 60s with supercharging every time one is traded in.

But yeah, I've never seen a S60 in my home town or the town I work in. Or even the next state over. All my sightings have been 85 kWh of one badge or another.

Go look at Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live and read it for all the talk of cheap S60 CPOs. Most of the "deals" people bragged about were 60s at the bottom end and some bragged about P85/P85+.

The ones that "disappeared" in the 2 day "purge" in Feb were

S60 28 cars
S85 126 cars
P85 58 cars
P85+ 47 cars
P85D 13 cars

I don't know how close that is to the original production mix but every single one of those S60s got their supercharging enabled and more that already sold. Before the CPO purge people were buying supercharger enabled CPOs in the low $40,000s. They were older model years and missing newer features but they were still nice cars compared to any non Tesla.

But you are talking about past experience, not future.

This is *exactly* the point I've been making. The S60's haven't been an impact on SC usage but they're likely to start figuring in if there are decent numbers of them and they start supercharging. Then factor in 3s that sell 10 : 1 over the S in a few years and take 57% to 100% longer to charge than an 85 or 90. The SC network will have to not just double proportionally. It will have to at least quadruple over where it would have been for the same number of cars had they all been S's instead of mostly 3s.

This is *exactly* the point I've been making. The S60's haven't been an impact on SC usage but they're likely to start figuring in if there are decent numbers of them and they start supercharging. Then factor in 3s that sell 10 : 1 over the S in a few years and take 57% to 100% longer to charge than an 85 or 90. The SC network will have to not just double proportionally. It will have to at least quadruple over where it would have been for the same number of cars had they all been S's instead of mostly 3s.

You are assuming that the new cells/chemistry will charge at the same rate. I would hope that as part of the design they improved things like cooling so that it can charge at a higher rate longer.

We won't know the impact until we can actually see one charging, or Tesla releases those specs.

You are assuming that the new cells/chemistry will charge at the same rate. I would hope that as part of the design they improved things like cooling so that it can charge at a higher rate longer.

We won't know the impact until we can actually see one charging, or Tesla releases those specs.

Assuming vs hoping. You'll notice that I've posted several message before saying that I hope they're able to increase charge rate either due to chemistry or cooling improvements, or both.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Supercharging near your home isn't abuse when the sales people were specifically using that benefit to sell cars, as they frequently did.

Also upsetting that they're now offering free supercharging again after using the fact that it was going away to sell cars - many buyers opted for a 90D w free supercharging instead of waiting for a 100D because it wasn't going to depreciate as much because free supercharging would be valuable in perpetuity - and now they've basically gone back on their word and misled some of their earliest and most dedicated customers.

Disappointing - hopefully they will do something to make it up to those buyers at some point.