Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oil leak at rear of '23 MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'23 MYP 5k miles.

I have an appointment for a week from now but was wondering if anyone knows what possible oil could leak from the rear center of the car. In the pics it looks reddish but on a white napkin it looks more greenish.

Attachments

• IMG_3092.JPG
    IMG_3092.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3091.JPG
    IMG_3091.JPG
    404.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3090.JPG
    IMG_3090.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3089.JPG
    IMG_3089.JPG
    702.2 KB · Views: 4
There is lubricant in the rear drive unit. It's a type of transmission fluid intended for a sealed system, rather than a motor oil that needs to be changed. There is a pump and filter that circulate and clean this lubricant. You probably have a failed seal on one of these.
It could be a coolant leak.

As for colors… from what I remember a long time ago, transmission fluid was indeed reddish when I poured some for a car that leaked it. Motor oil was transparent gold when fresh and slowly turned brown/black after some time being used. Green reminds me of coolant fluid.

That being said, I don’t know of the coolant fluid that Tesla uses is green or whatever.

To the OP, what is the viscosity of the leak? Does it feel like water or oil?

Upvote 0
It could be a coolant leak.

As for colors… from what I remember a long time ago, transmission fluid was indeed reddish when I poured some for a car that leaked it. Motor oil was transparent gold when fresh and slowly turned brown/black after some time being used. Green reminds me of coolant fluid.

That being said, I don’t know of the coolant fluid that Tesla uses is green or whatever.

To the OP, what is the viscosity of the leak? Does it feel like water or oil?
It’s hard to tell, it’s not really slippery but kind of smells of oil. It’s in service now so we will know soon…..

Upvote 0