Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have mentioned this but I've taken to leaving my weight distribution bars in place while Supercharging. I just push them perpendicular to the car - they do not extend farther than the width of the vehicle. Saves time when hitching and unhitching.

IMG_4666.JPG

A quick wrap up.

Distance to our KOA from home was 219 miles. Google estimate is 3 hours, 29 minutes. Highway speeds are 70 mph, so keep that in mind. Outbound, it took us just over 7 hours. Two reasons - Vacaville was throttling at 30kW for some reason (overheating, etc.) and we had an uphill climb out of Corning to the KOA. We wound up spending a lot more time than necessary at Corning because we were dining at the Olive Pit and we didn't know how much we'd consume going uphill. Coming back home, total time was 6 hours because we had such an elevation loss heading to Corning that even the full charge didn't take long. Vacaville was charging at full rates, and we're only 40 miles away, so I only needed about 100 miles of rated range to be safe. Very quick charging, so door to door time on the way home was 6 hours.

Those are both numbers that are a long way from 3.5 hours. This is one of the penalties we pay to be towing with an EV, but I find them totally manageable. They don't scale similarly to long trips (that is, a 30 hour trip doesn't become a 60 hour trip due to overnights and campsite charging).

A personal decision I've made is that I'm going to be driving around 60 mph when towing on I-5, assuming that's possible. Yes, my consumption rises considerably, but I've found that most semis are going 59-60 mph, and going 55 mph means they're passing me continuously. Going 60 mph, I don't have to worry about causing a disruption on the highway because I can almost always fall into line with other trucks at the same speed. Not always drafting, mind you, but traveling at a similar speed.

Not all Superchargers are spaced to allow this, but where they are, I'd rather spend more time charging and travel without feeling like a burden to the flow of traffic. Of course, overall I'd rather just avoid I-5, but that's beside the point.

And a final note - Lassen Volcanic National Park is an incredibly diverse place that is worth a trip for anyone in the region. Given that it's so close to home, we'll be returning as soon as we can fit it on the calendar, and as soon as my legs recover from all the hiking.

Something I keep forgetting to mention: When towing, the lowering height setting on the X should not be in "always" mode. Yes, tow mode disables speed-based lowering, but when unhitching, driving to the Supercharger, and returning, the X will go from "Standard" to "Low" and you'll be off with your tongue height. That's worse with weight distribution, but it's bad regardless. As soon as you plug back in, it'll lock into "Low" and not adjust. So it's best to keep lowering to a speed greater than, say, 40mph. Or, just always remember to raise the height back to standard before initiating hook-up. For me, I don't need one more thing to remember.

The downside with this, of course, is that accelerating without the trailer happens in "Standard" height and I get pretty bad shudder. :(

It's worth posting that I received a response from the Park Service. I appreciated the response and reaction, though I certainly would have enjoyed some reference to their desire to future accommodate EV owners. Regardless, I do feel better about the interaction after receiving this, and I was impressed with their follow-up on PlugShare.

IMG_4750.jpg

It's worth posting that I received a response from the Park Service. I appreciated the response and reaction, though I certainly would have enjoyed some reference to their desire to future accommodate EV owners. Regardless, I do feel better about the interaction after receiving this, and I was impressed with their follow-up on PlugShare.

View attachment 243590

They didn't let you use the station? Or what happened? Did I miss the post?

They didn't let you use the station? Or what happened? Did I miss the post?

Getting around the Olympic Peninsula was not exactly smooth. I knew I wanted to climb to Hurricane Ridge, and since Sequim was not yet open I was able to charge at a CHAdeMO at a Nissan dealership. That night, we camped at Sol Duc, which has full hook ups and 50 amp service. We left with a full charge, and stopped in Forks at the RV park. There was some trouble charging as the breaker continue to flip off. I knew that the Kalaloch campground had a 14-50 listed on PlugShare. I also knew that it would be a risk whether or not I could charge there, but eventually decided we would give it a shot. One hour there while walking the beach would give us enough breathing room to make it to Aberdeen.

I found the plug, plugged in, and was immediately approached by a ranger who told me to unplug. Her words to me were, "you are stealing from the federal government." I explained that I would be happy to drop money in the campground slot, and described what I was trying to accomplish with this trip. She was having none of it and was adamantly opposed to my doing anything relating to getting power from that campsite.

My back up plan was in Lake Quinault. There was a wall outlet available at the lodge, and we could take a hike through the rain forest for a few hours while the car got enough of a boost to get us closer to Aberdeen. Arriving at the lodge, I found that the wall plugs, labeled as EV plugs, were inoperable. Two maintenance personnel attempted to assist me in getting them back online, but we were unable to do so. Eventually, they offered to run an extension cord into the shop so that I could charge. At this point, I had had enough. I had unhooked the trailer both times to charge and had gone out of my way slightly, burning up extra range. We hiked the rain forest, and I drove from 38 to 40 mph all the way to Aberdeen. We arrived, as I noted in the previous post, with enough range.

My plan the entire time was to drive until my car's rated range was equal to the distance to the Supercharger. I knew I could drive slowly enough in the X to achieve better than rated range if unhitched. Once I reached that point, I would unhitch the trailer, drive to the Supercharger, charge enough to come back and get the trailer and return to the supercharger, and then finish my charge. I'm thankful it didn't come to that, but it was a completely viable back up.

The lesson learned was that I should not have relied on a risky charger in no man's land. Probably obvious ahead of time, but I was very determined to see the entirety of the peninsula. Despite my issues, I'm glad I went, because it is a gorgeous park. I will keep my opinion on the park's rangers to myself.

Reactions: K-MTG and ohmman
Agreed, that is a very reasonable response by the Park Service. Currently, it's not their job to provide EV charging to anyone who drives by. Hopefully in the future that will change, though it will take a Federal initiative to making parks more EV-friendly and I don't see that happening in the next few years, at least...

View attachment 243590

Currently, it's not their job to provide EV charging to anyone who drives by.

I disagree. This is their mission statement;

'Our Mission. The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National ParkSystem for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations.'

It's not hard to understand that deterring the use of fools fuel is part of preserving our natural resources.... the lack of support from the NPS is incredibly disappointing.

I disagree. This is their mission statement;

'Our Mission. The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National ParkSystem for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations.'

It's not hard to understand that deterring the use of fools fuel is part of preserving our natural resources.... the lack of support from the NPS is incredibly disappointing.
For the record, this is the letter I sent to the NPS originally. I don't believe I posted it above. The last paragraph addresses your concerns directly, at least in my mind.

ohmman said:
This past June, my family and I embarked on a 3500 mile trip towing a travel trailer with our Tesla Model X electric vehicle. Aside from the joy of visiting US and Canadian National Parks, our goal was to advocate for more electric transit and showcase the continued advancement of electric vehicles.

In most locations, charging was straightforward. We charged at Tesla Superchargers, public EV charging sites, campsites, or shared chargers. The feedback we received from park personnel was always very positive, and they understood that our mission interweaved directly with the mission of the parks and their staff. Olympic National Park, being a bit remote, presented us with a slightly more difficult challenge. However, after camping and charging at Sol Duc Campground, then stopping at an RV Park in Forks, we found that there was a 14-50 (RV plug) at Kalaloch Campground which had been shared by the camp host on a number of occasions. This information came from a community resource known as Plugshare.

We drove to the park and found that the host site was unoccupied. We needed approximately 1 hour of charging to get to our destination in Aberdeen, so I unhitched the camper and plugged in our car. A ranger ([name redacted]) approached me and asked what I was doing. I explained our situation, and her immediate response was, "What you're doing is stealing from the federal government." I suggested that I could put money into the campsite fee slot, but she informed me that I should unplug immediately, so I did. After unplugging and moving my vehicle, I returned to discuss what we were doing, our mission, etc. She was unwilling or unable to use her discretion in this case.

I take responsibility for relying on anecdotes from other EV owners and putting myself and my family in a situation that hinged upon a single charger. This was out of character for the trip since Olympic National Park was a last minute addition. However, I do take issue with the ranger's immediate attitude toward me and the fact that she was unable or unwilling to escalate to make an exception. It was entirely out of character with the welcome we received at the other parks we visited on this trip, and despite a great admiration for the beauty and diversity of Olympic National Park, we are left with a bad taste in our mouths due to the interaction.

For the record, I would have been able to get at most 10kWh in my hour of charging. Retail rates on the Peninsula (Clallum PUD was the one I found) are 6.5c/kWh, and I would hope that the federal government pays closer to wholesale. I would have happily dropped $10 in the slot for my <65 cents of electricity. Stealing from the federal government seems like a terribly excessive statement.

I am hopeful that Olympic National Park makes an effort to install some EV charging, or at least makes some electric sites available to EVs. Most of us who drive EVs do so in hopes of protecting these beautiful places. We traverse them silently and keep the air clean while doing so. I believe that park staff and EV owners are directly aligned with one another and hope that this message makes its way through to the rangers at Olympic National Park.

Thanks for your attention and understanding.

For the record, this is the letter I sent to the NPS originally. I don't believe I posted it above. The last paragraph addresses your concerns directly, at least in my mind.

Yep... it's 2017. EVs have been 'a thing' for >10 years now. Absolutely no excuse for there to not be some base level infrastructure at ALL NPS facilities. To say that it makes me angry that an organization whose purpose in life is to preserve our natural treasures for future generations is doing next to nothing to support EVs is a understatement :mad: I'm glad you're more diplomatic than I am...

I've tried to promote EV charging at Guadeloupe NP and Carlsbad Caverns NP to no effect... dunno what else to do... it's incredible frustrating. You shouldn't have to 'promote' the right thing.... that's the sad state of affairs we're in...

Reactions: GSP and dhanson865
Gonna be like the 'old' days... I did my first Tesla road trip NM=>WA in the Spring of '13. There were 6 superchargers in the world... all of them in California. On the plus side there weren't any lines ;)

One trick I used was paralleling two 50A plugs so I could charge at 80A with my 'portable' HPWC.
I'd love to see a photo of the 2EA 50A plug HWPC setup. Did you buy a HPWC and wire to NEMATODE plugs to it? I'm wondering if the two phases ever get flipped causing sparks.

View attachment 243590
The NPS is between a rock and a hard place. They have no guidance for charging EV owners and it's a government agency...everything comes out of someone's budget. I don't see a quick fix. Maybe a private company could be licensed to use Supercharger technology...or more CHAdeMO chargers can help. I see this problem temporarily getting worse as we reach say 10-20% EV's on the road, then it may get better. On the other hand maybe EV semi trucks will help move infrastructure forward. Gas stations didn't line all the roads overnight.

@ohmman: A little off topic but, How are those white seats holding up after your long trip? My next Tesla will have them.;)
My white seats are doing great. Everyone at the show today commented on them and how dirty they'd be "in a year" (or similar). I then told them that they were nearly a year and a half old, that I have two kids, and that we drive for most field trips. I'm thrilled with the white.

@napabill, thanks for coming out. It was great meeting you.

My white seats are doing great. Everyone at the show today commented on them and how dirty they'd be "in a year" (or similar). I then told them that they were nearly a year and a half old, that I have two kids, and that we drive for most field trips. I'm thrilled with the white.

@napabill, thanks for coming out. It was great meeting you.
Was fun seeing you and your Airstream. Unfortunately my wife was not on-board with my enthusiasm. But taking the X cross country is definitely on the list. And I'll travel with my wingman Razz.

Reactions: Rossy
We’ve been flirting with an unplanned “adventure” due to the wildfires. Everything is packed and ready. I unhitched today thinking we were out of danger but things have turned again so I’m preparing for the worst again.

For those of you following the Sonoma and Napa fires, it’s amazing how complex these have been.

Photo from just now. Mayacamas ridge looking east.

04BBCEF2-5229-46FC-B9D9-A2D592A2F8D4.jpeg