Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"off grid" but using the grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I reach out to Tesla support, I thought the experts here might know. I went off on holiday for a few weeks leaving the house on low-energy mode. The solar + powerwall2 can supply the house fully so effectively the house is 'off-grid'. It was doing well for just about two weeks and then (co-incidentally) the behaviour changed on Friday the 13th. Despite the battery charge never falling < 35% (reserve at 20%) and with no draw > 5 kWh it started using ~2 kWh each day from the grid. I've attached images from Oct 12th through to the 17th. It continues to take about 2 kWh per day from the grid even with the battery's SOC well above the reserve.

Does anyone know why? I have gone long stretches (Feb 23 - May 23) taking nothing from the grid so this feels unusual. I powered the battery down when I returned but it is still drawing from the grid. I understand the gateway will poll the grid to test connectivity but it previously never aggregated to 2 kWh daily.

Curiously, when I monitor it before the solar produces and it's on battery power only (until about 7am) , it's a consistent 75% from battery / 25% from grid.

Setup is 34x panels - 11.9 kw system
1x powerwall 2 with gateway

Attachments

• 15th.jpg
    15th.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 17th.jpeg
    17th.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 16th.jpeg
    16th.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 34
  • 14th.jpeg
    14th.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 13th.jpeg
    13th.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 12th.jpeg
    12th.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 42
As an fyi, I spoke with Tesla support and the rep said a firmware update to the gateway and powerwall was pushed out on the 13th of October that is causing this. Apparently the bug is a reporting one and does not reflect actual increased usage from the grid. Tesla team have received a number of calls about it so they are aware of the issue.
The bug showed up starting with 23.28.1 back at the end of August.

The app will count Powerwall exports as grid imports and totally throw off the numbers. The graphs are always correct though for some odd reason.

Reactions: Matt-FL