Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Odometer In/Out" Tracking - Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone:

I just had my M3 serviced this past weekend for a door and paint issue. Fortunately, these issues were addressed.

However, when I reviewed the Service Invoice, I noticed the Odometer In/Out equated to 300 miles being put on my car in the 3 days they had it.

There's no way 300 miles would have been needed for the work that was done.

I contacted my Service Rep and he said Tesla auto fills data when you make an appointment and it can auto populate with bad info. He said that the mileage in the "In" reading was probably the mileage when I made the appointment about 2.5 weeks ago.

Does this sound right? Has anyone else had this happen? Thanks in-advance everyone.

• Informative
Reactions: phaheem
Doesn’t sound right to me. When my car was in for service last week, for two days, it never left the lot. No mileage change. What they do so is pull the USB so you can’t record them in Sentry mode or TeslaCam while they work on the car. I was able to see where my car was by using the Tesla app.

• Informative
Reactions: OCTrojan
Doesn’t sound right to me. When my car was in for service last week, for two days, it never left the lot. No mileage change. What they do so is pull the USB so you can’t record them in Sentry mode or TeslaCam while they work on the car. I was able to see where my car was by using the Tesla app.
That's interesting. I tried looking up my car on the app when it was at the SC and it said it was in Service Mode and had everything greyed out.

Hmm. I wonder if I should press harder. The problem is I didn't very the Odometer reading when I dropped off the car. Big mistake now.

That's interesting. I tried looking up my car on the app when it was at the SC and it said it was in Service Mode and had everything greyed out.

Hmm. I wonder if I should press harder. The problem is I didn't very the Odometer reading when I dropped off the car. Big mistake now.

In the app, mine reported in service as well, but I could still control the car and see the location. I’m fact, I opened the charging port for grins and also accepted a software update remotely!

Service rep could be right, tech who put the miles on the RO could have fat fingered it, or guessed.

TBH, techs drive Tesla’s all day, every day. It’s not that “joy riding” that people think. It’s not fun, it’s just a car.

Also there’s the whole issue of if they get a ticket or in an accident off site without reason to be driving it.

Let it be

Service rep could be right, tech who put the miles on the RO could have fat fingered it, or guessed.

TBH, techs drive Tesla’s all day, every day. It’s not that “joy riding” that people think. It’s not fun, it’s just a car.

Also there’s the whole issue of if they get a ticket or in an accident off site without reason to be driving it.

Let it be
Agreed. The Tech's explanation seems reasonable and based on my math, the mileage makes sense if it's indeed reporting the mileage at the time I made the appointment.

Reactions: Bill Foster
For every car of mine that I’ve taken into the dealer for service, I always take a picture of the odometer reading with the service bay/dealer/whatever in the background so I have proof of the mileage at drop off.

When my 3 was in for service last week, the Tesla app did show me when the car was out for “test drives”, but the app would go back into service mode when they returned to their lot.

Take pics next time!

• Informative
Reactions: OCTrojan and jebinc
Much ado about nothing. Without accurate readings, you're just going off a piece of paper saying 300 miles were put on the car.

I know we all love our Tesla's but the idea they took it on a joyride is silly - they get P100D's in service all the time, I'd rather take that than a run of the mill Model 3 which they see 20 a day.

The simplest solution is usually the answer - just a mistake on the form.

Hey everyone:

Yes, I agree. Much ado about nothing as @N.Y.R. stated. And I agree with @phaheem, I should have taken pics of the odometer. I’ll start doing that going forward.

@torparts, it was the Costa Mesa SC. But again, I don’t think they put 300 miles on my car, so it’s nothing to worry about. Outside of this, my experience was great. Got a loaner Model X for the weekend, which made my wife very happy. And they buffed out a few scratches for me from a rogue shopping cart pro bono and they fixed my dash that was my main concern.

Fight On!

Reactions: phaheem
And I agree with @phaheem, I should have taken pics of the odometer. I’ll start doing that going forward.

it was the Costa Mesa SC. But again, I don’t think they put 300 miles on my car, so it’s nothing to worry about. Outside of this, my experience was great. Got a loaner Model X for the weekend, which made my wife very happy. And they buffed out a few scratches for me from a rogue shopping cart pro bono and they fixed my dash that was my main concern.

Fight On!
I too took my car to the Costa Mesa service center, but all I got were some Uber credits and they didn’t even update my software (as I requested). Glad your experience was better

• Informative
That’s unfortunate @phaheem. I did get a sense that things were a bit disheveled there, but I’m used to Toyota service centers which are really rigid. I think Tesla is still trying to get their processes down.

And in relation to the Model X: I think I got lucky. I believe someone turned it in right when I was supposed to leave. I say this because it was pretty dirty when I got in but that didn’t bother me.

Last edited:
That’s unfortunate @phaheem. I did get a sense that things were a bit disheveled there, but I’m used to Toyota service centers which are really rigid. I think they’re still trying to get there processed down.

And in relation to the Model X, I think I got lucky. I believe someone turned it in right when I was supposed to leave. I say this because it was pretty dirty when I got in but that didn’t bother me.
Funny you mention being accustomed to Toyota service centers, as the Costa Mesa service center performed worse than the Honda dealer I dealt with when I had one. Definitely disheveled! I’ve been leasing a C300 Mercedes the past three years and never experienced such disorganization at the Mercedes dealer.

Got me thinking: if I’m ever going to spend the $100k+ on a Model S or X, I’d better get an experience commensurate with that price tag when I go in for service

Much ado about nothing. Without accurate readings, you're just going off a piece of paper saying 300 miles were put on the car.

I know we all love our Tesla's but the idea they took it on a joyride is silly - they get P100D's in service all the time, I'd rather take that than a run of the mill Model 3 which they see 20 a day.

The simplest solution is usually the answer - just a mistake on the form.
This happened with me when I was an advisor at Benz. This dude was insistent we put like 600 miles on his 2003 SL.

it took a lot for me not to say “why would I risk my job to drive a 2003 SL when I can hop in that new 2017 S65 sitting on the front line and take that....”

For every car of mine that I’ve taken into the dealer for service, I always take a picture of the odometer reading with the service bay/dealer/whatever in the background so I have proof of the mileage at drop off.

When my 3 was in for service last week, the Tesla app did show me when the car was out for “test drives”, but the app would go back into service mode when they returned to their lot.

Take pics next time!

Wow. That is time your never getting back...

Reactions: Bill Foster