Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oddity on Range / Odometer "Since Last Charge" ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in checking through my odometer to see how many miles I'd actually driven and to check my wh/mi since the car is 2 weeks old and it was showing something that is simply not possible, I wanted to see if anyone else has run across this.

M3P, as I said brand new.

Since Last Charge (which was Saturday AM, roughly 34 or 36 hours prior to when I saw this) was showing the following:
238 miles, 80 kWh, and 335 wh/mi - the math on all of this checks out, if it were possible.

I charged to 89%, and was at 33%, so I'd driven off 56% of the battery, which would not represent any 80 kWh of battery since my understanding is that the M3P battery is somewhere in the 80-82 kWh range.

Is it possible that the odometer did not reset since I charged for free at the SC ? Anyone else seen anything like this?

This tricky thing that happens with that, which usually confuses new owners is that the "Since last charged" meters on that display is not all-inclusive and 24 hours a day round the clock. That meter ONLY shows the energy consumed while the car is in drive gear. So if it's been a few days, and the car has been sitting idle and parked for a lot of the time, it may have consumed significant energy from sentry mode or regular idle draw that is not going to show up on that meter on the display.

So, to be clear, I had a 2018 for most of 5 years so I'm not a new owner - my 18LR RWD is currently on the auction block as salvage. That said, I appreciate the fact that it only shows energy consumed while in drive as I was not aware of this but also never really cared that much about it. Unfortunately that doesn't help my confusion on the numbers it showed, it actually only makes it worse.

The problem is the amount of energy it's saying was consumed since the last charge is just not possible - while I don't believe we drove 240 miles in that time frame (~34 hours, including overnight), just ignoring that piece it's not possible that we used 80 kWh while the battery went from 89% to 33%, that would imply a battery pack well over 100kWh and it's not over 100 kWh.