Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd Noise between 20-50mph (Sounds like dentist drilling, Subway rail screeching, or a Lathe cutting metal?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting this weird noise -- not even sure where its coming from, sometimes the rear cabin, sometimes its like right under me.

But it sounds high pitched -- very different from acceleration whine from the motors. As a matter of fact, it happens when im either accelerating OR decelerating.
Again, it sounds like screeching at a high level like subway rails etc etc and i hear it between 20-50mph, but mostly around 45~mph.

I've done some research and it seems like some people are experiencing this, and Tesla is basically saying its not fixable and shouldn't be an issue, or "within spec". I don't accept that as a response, as this is in no way listed in the manual under "expected noises", and its very jarring and irritating -- cutting through music, phone calls, etc etc. Its not consistent, but its frequent, which is also an indicator it is not a common trait of the vehicle.

Has Tesla successfully fixed this for anyone that has had this issue? I am going to take it in for servicing, and will exercise GA's lemon law rule if I am unable to get a repair (which is 3 service visits and its not repaired you can request a full refund or replacement vehicle). I love my car, so i would end up getting it again lol -- just want this damn noise to go away.

Thanks

One of two things: Penthouse perimeter seal not fully seated letting motor noise leak into the cabin / Motor ground straps not fully snugged down leading to motor whine.

I did DIY fixes for both using solutions found on the forums. Fold your rear seats down and see if the noise dies down, if it does the problem stems from your rear motor.

Reactions: AJ.. and Predation
Does it sound like this? If so, this thread is for you: What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

If not, make a recording, might help others understand what noise it is.
yeah seems like most of the front motors are making it mine has from june 2022 ill prob bring it in this spring time, i dont actually think its a major issue but def annoying as crap, what is odd though is i put my car in track mode and move all the power to the wheels and can still create the noise around 35-50 mph and i know the front motor is always connected but it has me second guessing that im just not hearing some type of window noise

H
Getting this weird noise -- not even sure where its coming from, sometimes the rear cabin, sometimes its like right under me.

But it sounds high pitched -- very different from acceleration whine from the motors. As a matter of fact, it happens when im either accelerating OR decelerating.
Again, it sounds like screeching at a high level like subway rails etc etc and i hear it between 20-50mph, but mostly around 45~mph.

I've done some research and it seems like some people are experiencing this, and Tesla is basically saying its not fixable and shouldn't be an issue, or "within spec". I don't accept that as a response, as this is in no way listed in the manual under "expected noises", and its very jarring and irritating -- cutting through music, phone calls, etc etc. Its not consistent, but its frequent, which is also an indicator it is not a common trait of the vehicle.

Has Tesla successfully fixed this for anyone that has had this issue? I am going to take it in for servicing, and will exercise GA's lemon law rule if I am unable to get a repair (which is 3 service visits and its not repaired you can request a full refund or replacement vehicle). I love my car, so i would end up getting it again lol -- just want this damn noise to go away.

Thanks
How did the lemon law work for you? Did they replace your car?

One of two things: Penthouse perimeter seal not fully seated letting motor noise leak into the cabin / Motor ground straps not fully snugged down leading to motor whine.

I did DIY fixes for both using solutions found on the forums. Fold your rear seats down and see if the noise dies down, if it does the problem stems from your rear motor.
This is good to know. I’m going to fold my seats down and if the sound is still the same, then it might be the ground straps (which I’m hoping it is). I don’t want to drop the motor for a penthouse seal replacement.

Reactions: Happy Hippo

I put my back seats down and the noise is still there with the seat down or up. I am not sure where the cricket/whining noise comes from? Is it really the motor? Any suggestions?

I put my back seats down and the noise is still there with the seat down or up. I am not sure where the cricket/whining noise comes from? Is it really the motor? Any suggestions?
The noise that was recorded in the sound clip I posted above was from the front drive unit (motor/inverter assembly). Tesla claims the root cause was a bad bearing, however I'm not fully convinced. Regardless, it was something in the front drive unit.

It's possible the rear unit can make the same noise, but I don't think we know yet.

Thinking about this more, there are two different noises that I belive are two different issues. Just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Does your noise sound more like this:

Or like this:

That youtube clip is inverter whine (~6kHz). The noise I shared is the mysterious "cricket/hiss" noise (~10kHz) that only occurs at lower temperatures and might be bad bearings.

i
Thinking about this more, there are two different noises that I belive are two different issues. Just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Does your noise sound more like this:

Or like this:

That youtube clip is inverter whine (~6kHz). The noise I shared is the mysterious "cricket/hiss" noise (~10kHz) that only occurs at lower temperatures and might be bad bearings.
I have both sounds!!. I took a video clip of it too and not sure what it is to tell them to look for.

So when you brought it in on your guest visit, what did they say?
Basically that they heard the noise so they believe me, but they have no idea what was causing it. So they "guessed" and said it was some part in the front of the car. and they ordered that part. So the next time I come in, they are going to install it and see if the noise is still there.
I didn't tell them that I am looking to exercise my lemon law fee. I am just going to give them three visits to fix it, and then apply for lemon law.