Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obeche matte or glossy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was asked to finalize about 30 days ago and have been carefully considering my options. I am now at the trim stage. I am getting the car in black with tan interior and obeche wood trim.

I originally thought I might want the matte finish based on this thread, but now I am not so sure. Since deliveries are starting to pick up I'm hoping to get more feedback from those who've seen matte and glossy together.

I realize its a personal choice but would like to hear other thoughts before I finalize. Thanks in advance.

Personal thoughts: We've had our car VIN0064 for a month, have 5500 miles on it. Black interior, gloss obeche. WE LOVE IT. Of course, as someone has pointed out, it's for old people, and we are old.... Nice visual touch of gloss accent with the matte leather. Really looks nice, and I am so glad we went this route.

But, if matte were what we had chosen, I betcha the feeling would be the same. The car is so absolutely stunning that we can't get over it.

DaveVa,
Any way you can snap a pic of your lacewood with the black interior? Thanks!

Attached are a couple of quick pics - please excuse the fingerprints on the screen and my lack of photographic skills. :)

photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

Thanks for the pics Kevin! This helps me a lot.
Have you made your choice?

NOPE!!!! :biggrin:

I will probably go with the gloss. I think it makes the black to tan leather transition easier on the eyes and looks more luxurious. My ultimate preference would be to get the carbon fiber trim, but since I am not getting a performance model, that's obviously not an option. (I love the black leather or white leather with carbon fiber -- looks very slick.)

Thanks for the Obeche Gloss pics, Kevin, they are quite nice. I just spent some time yesterday at Park Meadows reviewing all of these interior combinations in the display trays (see pics below), having originally written off the Obeche just because of the vertical grain. But Kelly at Park Meadows took the time to show me how well the Obeche manages to tie together all of the interior colors in my config (Tan leather, black and silver) with the green exterior in a way I had never seen.

GreenTanObecheMatte.jpg
GreenTanObecheGloss.jpg

I fell in love with the Obeche on the spot, and changed my config when I got to the airport from Piano Black to Obeche Gloss (which was absolutely no problem, as my car is likely not due to arrive until January). I'll be re-signing a modified MVPA today.

The Obeche Gloss also has an iridescence in the grains when light moves across it, like a butterfly wing. Pictures cannot capture this, only a video could. The Obeche Matte is also wonderful, and if you are fingerprint-averse, would likely be the way to go. You can see and feel the grain slightly on the Matte, which I really liked as well. Ultimately I chose the gloss with my tan leather, but it was a tough decision.

I should also note that Denver has two new vehicles, a Silver/Black Perf with CF trim (VIN P01249) and a Pearl White Perf (VIN P01251) with Piano Black trim. The gap/fitment on these cars was utterly perfect, particularly at the rear hatch/passenger window junction...they were perfectly aligned, to both sight and feel. I'll find the right thread and post some pics.

Lastly, I saw a couple placing a reservation number in the high-13,000 range while I was there. And I think my Tesla jacket and about an hour of airport Tesla time may have generated two new reservations on my trip!

Thanks for the Obeche Gloss pics, Kevin, they are quite nice. I just spent some time yesterday at Park Meadows reviewing all of these interior combinations in the display trays (see pics below), having originally written off the Obeche just because of the vertical grain. But Kelly at Park Meadows took the time to show me how well the Obeche manages to tie together all of the interior colors in my config (Tan leather, black and silver) with the green exterior in a way I had never seen.

I fell in love with the Obeche on the spot, and changed my config when I got to the airport from Piano Black to Obeche Gloss (which was absolutely no problem, as my car is likely not due to arrive until January). I'll be re-signing a modified MVPA today.

The Obeche Gloss also has an iridescence in the grains when light moves across it, like a butterfly wing. Pictures cannot capture this, only a video could. The Obeche Matte is also wonderful, and if you are fingerprint-averse, would likely be the way to go. You can see and feel the grain slightly on the Matte, which I really liked as well. Ultimately I chose the gloss with my tan leather, but it was a tough decision.

I should also note that Denver has two new vehicles, a Silver/Black Perf with CF trim (VIN P01249) and a Pearl White Perf (VIN P01251) with Piano Black trim. The gap/fitment on these cars was utterly perfect, particularly at the rear hatch/passenger window junction...they were perfectly aligned, to both sight and feel. I'll find the right thread and post some pics.

Lastly, I saw a couple placing a reservation number in the high-13,000 range while I was there. And I think my Tesla jacket and about an hour of airport Tesla time may have generated two new reservations on my trip!

@ JakeP,

How was the piano black with the trim?

Our family battled over getting it, but since this is such a "futuristic" car, we did not want a wood look, as is seen in most ICE's. Sometimes I regret it, but I always thought that shiny black material looked quite cool (maybe it's REALLY good quality plastic). I don't know I would have even wanted something like burled walnut in the S; that combination seems somewhat incongruous, in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone who provided feedback on gloss vs matte obeche wood question. I finalized on gloss obeche just minutes ago. I had the obeche matte in my configuration for weeks but kept coming back to the gloss. After looking at the pictures posted by Kevin and JakeP, I just felt the gloss looks richer with the tan leather. I'm sure I won't regret it.

So good. I am gloss obiche. Love it. Elon picked it too. I dont think he picked it because I did, though :cool:Holding it in my hand next to the matte, under the sunlight, I love the depth, warm tones. I think it compliments the tan leather, warms up the black, massages the white. Have seen it in at least two cars (white plains, and a local Boston area Model S) and it works. Is it a little bit Detroit? Don't flinch. Maybe it is - a little. But consider it a nod of recognition to those who came before... Before kWh and 100% torque took to the road in the shape of the letter S.

Ok, that said I like the matte a lot. And it may be one of the least important decisions I have ever made. Congrats and enjoy.

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of the combinations, they all look very nice. The depth of the gloss versus the texture of the matte, I could go either way. The tan leather just worked a bit better with the gloss...with black or grey leather, I would go the other way.

Andrew18, the Piano Black does keep a futuristic look, and I had selected it originally for that same reason, since I wasn't getting the Carbon Fiber (which still might be my favorite) in a non-perf. Piano black didn't look like cheap plastic, in fact it really looks like ebony as advertised, but it did look a bit plain compared to the other options when I saw it in person. But I also have two kids, and it is a complete fingerprint magnet, and my OCD needs no additional challenges...so that was a big driver for me. The obeche gloss will be bad enough for little prints!

I was asked to finalize about 30 days ago and have been carefully considering my options. I am now at the trim stage. I am getting the car in black with tan interior and obeche wood trim.

I originally thought I might want the matte finish based on this thread, but now I am not so sure. Since deliveries are starting to pick up I'm hoping to get more feedback from those who've seen matte and glossy together.

I realize its a personal choice but would like to hear other thoughts before I finalize. Thanks in advance.

I have the matte obeche and love it. Have not compared with a live glossy, however.

I configured with the Obeche Matte, mostly for reasons of avoiding having to wipe down fingerprints all the time with the Gloss, but have been thinking about changing to Piano Black (for the futuristic look, but seeing those pics now puts me in the same spot I was back in July when I finalized: should I go Piano Black, Obeche Matte or Obeche Gloss. I guess I'll have to head over to Santana Row and look again, maybe I'll change my MVPA, maybe I'll stay with what I have.
Green, 60kWh w/ Supercharging, Pano, 21" wheels, Tan/Obeche Matte, Tech, Sound, Air, Armor, Dual Chargers