Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nuclear power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need to choose... allow the free market to grow wind and solar OR build more nuclear plants; Sadly those two worlds are simply not compatible. If you build a $7/w nuclear plant... and get curtailed every day at noon when the sun shines and every morning because the wind in blowing... you're going to go bankrupt.

Want to build a cool new nuclear plant? Fine, then you need to pass legislation that protects it from intermittent and cheap wind/solar production.

Want the free market to build the cheapest clean energy generators? Fine, stop wasting money on >$7/w nuclear plants that are going to become stranded capital in ~10 years.

This is really far from reality. It is as if we lived in a carbon-free electric market, and were debating which of the only remaining carbon-free sides effectively enjoys feed-in tarrif, and the benefits of federal command & control.

Re the complementarity of wind and solar: the answer is highly dependent on location.

Thanks for that.

Ummmm..... all of it.... and I'm just gonna start reposting...

There isn't much to understand or argue about. The German data is real, and they have so much renewables that it covers the entire demand when conditions are favorable. Still, they have weeks of output well below 10 %.

There has been little to no incentive to develop large scale storage.

Yes, currently no business case for large scale storage exists, because they have very low capacity factors except when operating on a diurnal cycle. They might become economically attractive by making reliability a tradable commodity.

Some may only have a round trip efficiency of ~60-70% but energy that would have been curtailed if it wasn't stored is free in nearly every sense of the word.

I'll get back to that.

Yeah..... pretty..... pretty sure none of that implied that a week without wind wasn't impossible........... kinda why I keep repeating myself in terms the need for storage......................... what part of storage don't you understand?

When we start getting high levels of stranded energy... with no hope of future transmission lines providing a market... there are storage methods that could carry the grid for weeks cost-effectively that we don't use (on that scale) because there is currently no need.

We've barely scratched the surface on storage methods....
We won't need storage on the scale to carry the grid for a week for another ~15 years... predicting cost is about as productive as predicting todays solar cost 15 years ago... who thought solar would be ~$1.30/w today 15 years ago? No one. Many storage methods are incredibly simple... and very likely to be equally cheap.

Ok, time for some numbers.

Energy storage relies on the physical properties of materials and either gravity or electromagnetism. These things have been well understood for 100 years. Any huge improvements or surprises in this field would imply that we have completely misunderstood physics.

Both gravity and electromagnetism are weak forces, so they can't easily be used to store lots of energy.

In a compressed spring, energy is stored by forcing electrons a little bit away from their preferred positions. In chemical reactions, the electrons move much longer - the outer ones rearrange themselves and can even switch positions to a different atom. This makes systems based on chemical energy more energy dense than systems based on gravity, compression, heat, etc. Gravity is weaker than electromagnetism.

As an example, 1 kg of gasoline contains enough energy to lift five tons one kilometer up. Alternatively, it could heat one ton of steel by almost 100 degrees C.

Nuclear fission involves the strong nuclear force, and this is why 1 kg of uranium contains enough energy to launch a thousand tons into deep space. This is irrelevant for energy storage, naturally, as you would need a supernova to create uranium, and we don't want any supernovas around here. But it illustrates how which fundamental force we utilize changes the achievable energy density of the process.

There is no way around the fact that mechanical and gravitational storage methods are not energy dense. They cannot be. Chemical methods do better in this regard, but they often involve high conversion losses or materials of limited availability.

Also, remember that the electrification of society will cause electricity consumption to double in a CO2-free future. I'll ignore that for now, but keep it in mind.

Combined wind and solar output can fall below 10 % for a week. This happens often. Two weeks has happened. I'm guessing a 100-year event would be on the order of three to four weeks. However, when the storage capacity is empty, you don't know when the same thing will happen again, and electricity prices will be crazy. So you want to make sure you have some extra buffer - let's say we would ideally want six weeks of storage capacity. I estimated that we can get 20 % from other sources. Assume that wind/solar averages exactly 10 % during the period, so we only need the storage system to cover 70 % of the demand.

Scaling our hypothetical average country to the size of the US: US electricity consumption is about 4200 TWh per year, so six weeks worth is about 500 TWh. 70 % of this is 350 TWh, which is approximately 46 gigawatt-years. Total conventional generation capacity is typically about 1.6 times average demand. US average demand is 535 GW, installed conventional capacity about 900 GW. 70 % of this is 630 GW. 70 % of average demand is 375 GW.

Let's look at batteries first. Batteries store energy chemically, so they should be fairly energy dense. They are also very efficient, and this is a rare combination.

One of the more promising batteries for grid scale storage is the flow battery. These can store about 50 Wh/kg. We need to store 350 terawatt-hours. 350 TWh = 350,000,000,000,000 Wh. Convert from kg to tons by deleting three zeroes, then divide by 50. We would need 7 billion tons of batteries.

The Tesla Powerwall delivers 2 kW continuously for an installed price per kW of about $3000. 315 million powerwalls would be able to deliver the required power, but only for about 3.5 hours. 35 billion powerwalls have enough storage capacity (350 trillion Wh divided by 10,000 Wh unit capacity). They would weigh 3.5 billion tons, and the cost works out to $306,000 per kW of average demand that needs backing up. It would also require 31 million tons of lithium (assuming 44 kg of cells per unit, 2 % lithium content). Total worldwide lithium reserves are 13.5 million tons.

If we reduced our requirement to only backing up a single week instead of six, one would still need 5.9 billion powerwalls, at a cost of $51000 per kW of average demand. They would gobble up 38 % of the known lithium reserves.

Battery prices would have to fall by 99 % for this idea to even begin to approach the realms of possibility, and then only very abundant materials can be used.

This is really far from reality. It is as if we lived in a carbon-free electric market, and were debating which of the only remaining carbon-free sides effectively enjoys feed-in tarrif, and the benefits of federal command & control.

Ok.... then please walk me through this.... I must be missing something.... please explain how a nuclear plant that needs to sell ~7TWh/yr electricity to remain viable... stays viable if they can only sell ~5TWh... it's not like there's unlimited demand. A kWh produced from wind or solar is a kWh not needed from somewhere else. Explain how nuclear survives the duck curve...

Screen-Shot-2014-10-27-at-9.53.27-AM.png

I must say.... I really.... really have a hard time understanding the logic behind anyone who claims we can't scale storage to the levels our society needs.... What's been providing ~90% of our energy for the past century? STORED SUNLIGHT! If nature can store enough energy for us to use for a century I think we can engineer a way to store enough energy for a few weeks....

There's this perpetual straw man; Solar can't do it; Wind can't do it; Wind & Solar & 'Lithium batteries'....... every region is going to take advantage of local resources. The midwest could easily use compressed air storage alone since they have MASSIVE salt deposits. Pumped Storage works well in the eastern Appalachian states. Grid Scale regional storage doesn't need to be dense... plenty of room out there...

Meeting our storage needs with any single technology is likely daunting... combined it's more than achievable.

It would also require 31 million tons of lithium (assuming 44 kg of cells per unit, 2 % lithium content). Total worldwide lithium reserves are 13.5 million tons.

So... reserves are known quantities that are found and recoverable... don't get too wound around those numbers... here's why;

1996 Lithium reserves = 8.6M tons

2015 Lithium reserves = 13.5M tons

So... we can find more... we haven't looked in every nook and cranny yet... not even close.

A single area of Wyoming is estimated to contain 18M tons; There's also an estimated 230B tons dissolved in the ocean.

No one has yet addressed my key point. As solar continues to expand... how does it not displace other forms of generation? As other forms of generation are displaced how does the Capacity Factor of Nuclear not fall? As the Capacity Factor of nuclear falls how does a plant with a business model depending on a high CF stay in operation? There are really only 3 options...

- We don't build nuclear plants
- We HEAVILY subsidize nuclear plants
- We restrict the growth of competition to nuclear plants

Did I miss it or has this really not been addressed in >60 pages... except with contradictions......

Solar growth will continue..................Water cooled Nuclear is baseload. So it must operate at high CF. That question is pointless.

Last edited:
The use of heat pumps and water or other media to store thermal energy has tremendous potential to flatten and/or to shift demand for high grade (i.e., electric or fossil fuel) energy on a daily, weekly or seasonal basis depending on the scale and level of insulation of the storage reservoirs. We have barely begun to scratch the surface of the potential of these technologies. Widespread adoption of thermal storage for HVAC applications, together with managed vehicle charging and other demand management tools could enable massive penetration by renewables with relatively modest requirements for high cost, dispatchable electrical energy storage.

Meeting our storage needs with any single technology is likely daunting... combined it's more than achievable.

And you base that statement on exactly which N.U.M.B.E.R.S, nwdiver?

Explain how nuclear survives the duck curve...

You speak as though that curve was a divine law, outside of human influence. It isn't, it is the result of current policy, which massively subsidises essentially useless wind and solar power, by allowing them to parasitize the backup capability of gas turbines without paying for the service.

The laws of physics are, in fact, outside of human influence.

So if the laws of physics dictate that the duck curve leads to disaster, then I know what I would try to change.

If nature can store enough energy for us to use for a century I think we can engineer a way to store enough energy for a few weeks....

The problem with that particular bit of handwaving is that nature spent 300 million years to do so, which is about 1 million times slower than we're burning it. Nature also did it for free.

So... reserves are known quantities that are found and recoverable... don't get too wound around those numbers... here's why;

1996 Lithium reserves = 8.6M tons

2015 Lithium reserves = 13.5M tons

So... we can find more... we haven't looked in every nook and cranny yet... not even close.

A single area of Wyoming is estimated to contain 18M tons; There's also an estimated 230B tons dissolved in the ocean.

Yeah, and those can be dug up at what price? This isn't going to help with the cost issue. You also forget that we need to fix the whole world, not just the US. Currently, that means we need five times more. But electricity consumption will double from electrification, which makes it 10 times more. And we need a billion EVs on top of it all.

But the above calculation requires that all those people living in straw huts, cooking their meals by burning dry cow dung, must continue to do so. Should 4/5 of the world's population remain poor?

This is all irrelevant anyway, as battery prices can't possibly go low enough. I suggest we drop this idea until someone can argue convincingly (i.e. using reliable numbers) that battery prices will fall to 1/100 of today's levels before it's too late.

Last edited:

LOL.... well.... Elon certainly appears to think this is possible you really want to bet against him?

Then there's always hydrogen... you think we'll run our of water to split and store? It might cost $0.30/kWh for the short period we need it but that's still going to be cheaper than a load following nuclear plant. I'll save you the straw man... I'm not implying we use H2 for all storage.... but it can fill in the gaps where other methods fall short. Or.... do you need to see numbers that there isn't some magic ceiling to that as well...

All I'm say...... is...... fix the market failure of free CO2 emissions with an indefinitely rising carbon tax; Allow the market to sort it out. At some point it will be cheaper to store wind/solar than it is to burn even the cheapest fossil fuel (due to the carbon tax). Your point is that we'll reach some magic wall where; nope!.... we've exhausted all our options! no way to store another kWh! That's absurd.

And... if someone finds a way to build a nuclear plant that can compete with ~$0.04/kWh (soon to be $0.02/kWh) solar/wind... that's awesome... they should build as many as they can and I will help.

No one has yet addressed my key point. As solar continues to expand... how does it not displace other forms of generation? As other forms of generation are displaced how does the Capacity Factor of Nuclear not fall? As the Capacity Factor of nuclear falls how does a plant with a business model depending on a high CF stay in operation? There are really only 3 options...

What's your choice?

Seriously? Still nothing?

Last edited:
LOL.... well.... Elon certainly appears to think this is possible you really want to bet against him?

Elon is a businessman with product to sell.

Then there's always hydrogen... you think we'll run our of water to split and store? It might cost $0.30/kWh for the short period we need it but that's still going to be cheaper than a load following nuclear plant.

Provide more evidence than "might".

And... if someone finds a way to build a nuclear plant that can compete with ~$0.04/kWh (soon to be $0.02/kWh) solar/wind... that's awesome... they should build as many as they can and I will help.

Vogtle units 3 and 4 total capital + financing cost (after overruns) is $14B for 2 reactors or 2234 MW net capacity. Over 60 years that's $0.0133 per KWh. That price includes your mythical storage. And that's built in USA with high cost of labor. Because this is one of the first AP1000 builds, the cost should come down for future builds once the bugs are worked out. And before you ask, the average fuel cost at a nuclear power plant in 2014 was 0.76 cents/kWh. Assuming you can directly apply this cost to Vogtle, it would make total electricity cost $0.0209/KWh. No batteries required.

• Love
Reactions: macpacheco

You speak as though that curve was a divine law, outside of human influence. It isn't, it is the result of current policy, which massively subsidises essentially useless wind and solar power, by allowing them to parasitize the backup capability of gas turbines without paying for the service.

The laws of physics are, in fact, outside of human influence.

So if the laws of physics dictate that the duck curve leads to disaster, then I know what I would try to change.

The problem with that particular bit of handwaving is that nature spent 300 million years to do so, which is about 1 million times slower than we're burning it. Nature also did it for free.

Yeah, and those can be dug up at what price? This isn't going to help with the cost issue. You also forget that we need to fix the whole world, not just the US. Currently, that means we need five times more. But electricity consumption will double from electrification, which makes it 10 times more. And we need a billion EVs on top of it all.

But the above calculation requires that all those people living in straw huts, cooking their meals by burning dry cow dung, must continue to do so. Should 4/5 of the world's population remain poor?

This is all irrelevant anyway, as battery prices can't possibly go low enough. I suggest we drop this idea until someone can argue convincingly (i.e. using reliable numbers) that battery prices will fall to 1/100 of today's levels before it's too late.
What does any of this matter? And no, I'm not saying that in a snarky or cynical way... I mean, really, what does any of this matter?

We have a huge problem. We're talking around it instead of solving it. If we don't actively start working on the problem in a very big way, I expect one of two things will happen (or perhaps a combination):

1. Society will wake up, likely too late, and go into panic mode trying to save the species. They will blame the governments that did nothing, and the big corporations that exploited society to the point of extinction. Can you say 'civil unrest'?
  2. Government will wake up, likely too late, and institute what would appear to be draconian measures to save the species. Society will rebel and once again... 'civil unrest'.

Neither of those scenarios really float my boat. I'd far rather we stopped talking and got down to working.

What the planet is faced with is the biggest fast-tracked design/build project ever conceived. And key to it all is recognizing that fast-tracking any project generally results in a few do-loops to fix blunders and get around unforeseen problems. But that's OK. If the lunar program was forced to design everything to the gnat's ass on paper before building, there would be Soviet footprints on the moon. Instead, mistakes were made, some money was 'wasted' on revised ideas, but the job got done as required.

At this point it doesn't really matter whether we have solar/wind/nuclear or any combination of those energy sources (or others). None are perfect. Each will require ingenuity along the way to smooth out the imperfections. Some may serve as temporary solutions, to be replaced with newer technology. Who cares! The status quo is unacceptable! If nuclear can be constructed quickly enough, great, get those projects rolling. Can we build solar panels and turbines as fast as WWII armaments? Of course, start the production lines.

Bottom line, we shouldn't sit around talking while we wait for aliens to drop a magical technology in our laps. It ain't gonna happen. Commit to ideas that can work, that can be tweaked and improved along the way and get started. We'll work out the details as we go, because that's what humans do. But we absolutely have to get started!

.... Explain how nuclear survives the duck curve...

View attachment 91163
I hesitate to wade into this discussion because everyone is so knowledgeable and passionate, two great things. Certainly power generation will continue to evolve, perhaps not as quickly or in the direction that we would like. If decarbonization (and elimination of other pollutants) is the ultimate goal, then every step in that direction is positive.

I would like to suggest that one way nuclear survives the "duck curve" is with base load generation combined with power-2-gas or similar storage of excess electricity. First of all, even in the graph above, in 2020 there is a considerable amount of base load (12 GW, or about 12 nuclear plants). That's still quite a bit, as long as it's all nuclear and not coal. I'm also assuming that graph is for California, and not the entire nation. Some of excess generation can be sucked up by additional demand (e.g., EV charging from 9am-3pm, additional A/C loading, and lastly P2G conversion).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_to_gas
http://breakingenergy.com/2014/12/02/power-to-gas-enables-massive-energy-storage/

P2G can be carbon (CO2 -> CH4) or water (H2O -> H2) based. Water electrolysis, H2 storage, and H2 fuel cells seems to be the best solution for decarbonization, but not the only one. Is it perfect? No. Is it expensive? Yes. However, it really doesn't matter where the excess electricity comes from as long as it's cheap and carbon-free. In 2020 and beyond, solar will likely be extremely cheap in the south with hydro and nuclear being the generation of choice in the north. Wind will likely be very cheap in regional areas as well. All of these should be acceptable alternatives.

P2G (and perhaps some testing of V2G) is happening now, although slowly because it is still cheaper to move the electricity around rather than store it. In the US we have a huge geographic area to disperse the generation (e.g., BC/WA hydro feeds CA). If we also time-shifted the solar East-West, we could reduce the some of the future hypothetical solar oversupply issues.

Ultimately, I know we can solve the problem. Unfortunately, it seems more about political dollars than technology.

I don't have the data to comment on the other things, but just for some context, lithium carbonate makes up about 1% of battery costs today. Lithium has been extracted from seawater by the Japanese but at 5x the commercial price (South Koreans claim to do it 30% better). Obviously not viable today, but in the far future that will boost cost of lithium to 5% of the cost of the battery in the worse case scenario. Not insignificant, but also not as big a limiter as people make it to be.

https://gigaom.com/2010/03/10/will-seawater-stave-off-a-lithium-squeeze/

Elon is a businessman with product to sell.

You don't start a rocket company and an electric car company to make money. Elon had specific goals in mind other than $$$. Sustainable transport and making life multi planetary...

Vogtle units 3 and 4 total capital + financing cost (after overruns) is $14B for 2 reactors or 2234 MW net capacity. Over 60 years that's $0.0133 per KWh. That price includes your mythical storage. And that's built in USA with high cost of labor. Because this is one of the first AP1000 builds, the cost should come down for future builds once the bugs are worked out. And before you ask, the average fuel cost at a nuclear power plant in 2014 was 0.76 cents/kWh. Assuming you can directly apply this cost to Vogtle, it would make total electricity cost $0.0209/KWh. No batteries required.

OK.... let's breakdown all the wrong in this....

- $14B doesn't buy you ~60 years... it buys ~20 years. The steam piping, reactor vessel, wiring and buildings are about all you get to keep after ~20 years. Steam generators, pumps, turbines, condensers... these all need to be periodically replaced. After ~25 years SONGS spent ~$700M on new steam generators that were apparently defective... dooming the facility.

- Yeah... fuel is cheap... I've worked in nuclear power for >10 years... I understand many of the costs; Fuel is one of the smallest of non-capital costs. Personnel costs $$$. Licensing cost $$$. Cooling costs $$$. Waste Disposal (non fuel) costs $$$. Total O&M costs come to ~$0.03/kWh... but I've seen as low as $0.02/kWh.

- The 20 year (time before major overhauls are required) also the standard for LCOE... capital cost for a $7/w AP1000 with a CF of 92% (even nuclear plants need to refuel) is ~$0.04/kWh

- No grid storage & 90% capacity factor? how is this achieved? What's you load following generator?

- ~$0.06/kWh assumes a ~90% CF. How is this maintained as solar and wind encroach? Only ~10% of that cost is fuel... the other ~90% is there wether you're operating with a CF of 10% or 90%.

I know my post come off as ardently antinuclear... my intention is pro 'efficient allocation of resources'; How much longer is nuclear going to consistently find a sufficient market 90% of the time? Do you really expect the exponential growth of solar to stop?

On hydrogen... ~$0.30/kWh is in line with NREL data... that cost should fall as the technology matures.

I...... I don't even know..... know where to begin with that one....

Nature-Climate-Change-Batteries-Cheaper-than-2020-Projections.png

Is.... is that a downward trend? Sure looks like it :wink:

$100/kWh and a 10k cycle life = $0.01/kWh... that's a 60% drop from today... not 99%...

Last edited:
What did you do in nuclear?

I work in operations. First on the power side; now on the fuel side. I was trained by the Navy. Now I work in the commercial world.

Neither of those scenarios really float my boat. I'd far rather we stopped talking and got down to working.
Sometimes 10min of talk can save 10 hours of work :wink: Don't know how many times I've done something... looked back... and said, 'Yeah we really should have discussed this more, let's start over'

We've got a dozen or so 'ghost' nuclear plants in the US. They built most of the plant, the cooling tower, the containment building... spending $BILLIONS$ only to abandon everything when the economics shifted. We need to learn from history.

OK.... now.... GET TO WORK! :smile: GET RACK'N AMERICA!.... and everyone else...

IMG_0762.jpg

Last edited:
OK.... now.... GET TO WORK! :smile: GET RACK'N AMERICA!.... and everyone else...
Yup... I've been promised all the stuff will be at my house within 2 weeks. I can only fit 5.2 kW of panels up there due to a complicated roof shape, but it's better than nothing. Looking forward to having it all online! :biggrin:

(I couldn't get all the necessary permits for my proposed uranium mine and backyard reactor, so solar was my only reasonable alternative...) :wink:

I work in operations. First on the power side; now on the fuel side. I was trained by the Navy. Now I work in the commercial world.

Sometimes 10min of talk can save 10 hours of work :wink: Don't know how many times I've done something... looked back... and said, 'Yeah we really should have discussed this more, let's start over'

We've got a dozen or so 'ghost' nuclear plants in the US. They built most of the plant, the cooling tower, the containment building... spending $BILLIONS$ only to abandon everything when the economics shifted. We need to learn from history.

View attachment 91320

I would reject this job.... They let the orientation of their panels get away from them between the rows!