Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now that the charging standard war has ended, can we focus on...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My two cents worth is that I want Tesla to use their capital to site, permit, construct and open as many SC sites as possible over the next several years. Nearby amenities are great, but I do not want to see Tesla building service station-type sites and having to hire people to run them and be present to empty the trash, clean the bathrooms, etc. That will just take money away away from what I consider to be the real goal and that is getting as many SC sites online as possible over the next several years...Amenities nearby or next door does the trick for me...

Thanks for the long responses. I enjoy this conversation! But we're talking in circles. I will just agree to disagree. :) You're in NC? We should meet halfway in Atlanta or something and meet for drinks. Hash this out in person. First round is on me if you're interested. Cheers.
Well we will be heading to Helen, GA for their Oktoberfest this year. Plenty of beers & time to work out the best solutions there!

My two cents worth is that I want Tesla to use their capital to site, permit, construct and open as many SC sites as possible over the next several years. Nearby amenities are great, but I do not want to see Tesla building service station-type sites and having to hire people to run them and be present to empty the trash, clean the bathrooms, etc. That will just take money away away from what I consider to be the real goal and that is getting as many SC sites online as possible over the next several years...Amenities nearby or next door does the trick for me...
I really think this is a "problem" that's going to take care of itself. Sooner or later host sites are going to see that the EV boom is real and realize that their competition that got in early to hosting charging sites is taking their business away, and there will be a mad scramble to get on board. I am hoping this includes sites like grocery stores where modestly powered fast charging stations are a great fit for locals that may not have convenient charging at home/work, but do have a weekly 45-60 minute trip to the store. We don't need 350kW stations there, but we need more than L2.

Reactions: srs5694 and kayak1
Agree. I prefer to have more choices for food, coffee, etc. then what is at a typical gas station/mini-mart. And as Supercharger density increases, I think people will gravitate toward locations that have the specific features other than charging they want. So, they may choose to stop 10 miles earlier because there is a grocery by the Supercharger and they need to pick up something to cook for dinner when they get to the beach, cabin, in-laws, etc. Or they are Starbucks fans and need to get the latte to keep going, etc. Or it has a Target, and their kids really forgot their towels at home and need one for the beach, and mom and dad their caffeine fix from the Starbucks in the Target.

...the quality of charging stations? I would gladly spend an extra 10cents per kwh for a quality, well-lit station, with pull-thru spots, with trash, windshield cleaners, 24hr clean bathrooms, and amenities. I mean real gas station type locations. Can we get some movement or investment for people to convert closed gas stations into charging stations?

Or if Buc-ees converted 4 out of its 100 gas pumps into chargers, I would gladly prioritize them.
As far as the quality of the charge stations, I would agree with everything you said and I would add one more item. More solar canopies like San Ardo CA.

Supercharger - San Ardo, CA (LIVE 28 Jun 2023, 12 V3 stalls)

938365-ac71b966161e6cca129c777a9a4094ba.jpg

Reactions: DblOSmith