Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notice of FSD Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that Tesla is giving a one month free FSD to ALL Tesla owners in the US. I am still waiting for mine, I think. Does anyone know if Tesla sends out a notice to install it, or if it is sent OTA automatically, or just how do you know when you get yours? I see a lot of write ups from people with other Teslas that have gotten theirs, but they never mention just HOW they got it. Do you have to request it, or what?

I see that Tesla is giving a one month free FSD to ALL Tesla owners in the US. I am still waiting for mine, I think. Does anyone know if Tesla sends out a notice to install it, or if it is sent OTA automatically, or just how do you know when you get yours? I see a lot of write ups from people with other Teslas that have gotten theirs, but they never mention just HOW they got it. Do you have to request it, or what?
You get an update notification (pushed to you) on your phone app and in your car. You then choose to download and install it (or not), it downloads, installs and about 45 minutes later you have a new software version in your car. Whatever version of FSD came with that software version will then be available for you to turn on. Depending on various incentives, you should get one or three months free trial, plus the option to buy at a fixed price (currently $8000) or subscribe for $99/mo + tax.

I was subscribing to FSD at $199 for a couple of months before 12.3 came out, just to try it. Then 12.3 came out, and I got the notifications described above. Then a couple of days later I got notified of 12.3.2.1 and did the installation, same as earlier. Then 12.3.4 came out, and I got that. Somewhere in there Elon announced a free month trial to all, and I saw that my monthly subscription renewal date had been pushed out a month. And then there was the price drop, and sure enough, my subscription rate also dropped to $99/mo +tax. All that from March 31 to April 15 or so.

Note: When 12.3 installed in my car, it did not automatically enable itself, even though I had previously been using it for months. I discovered late than EAP had been enabled. I had to go into the Autopilot menu and specifically enable FSD again.

If you have not already been notified about FSD 12, then you probably are on the newer car software, which should at least have FSD 11.4.9 available. Tesla has said FSD 12.x is coming to the newest software line this month (or next? Soon). Be patient. Check your phone for a second Tesla app notification besides the one showing it running.