Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nonsense from John Petersen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this guy is invested in some battery company called Axion?
Yes, which is why he's a huge EV naysayer. His main argument is EVs wastes batteries and micro-hybrids are the best use of batteries (a space that Axion was targeting). Axion has since moved away from micro-hybrid cars (the market just didn't materialize) and focuses more on 18-wheelers, but Petersen's anti-EV talk continues.

Big time. He is or was a director of Axion. Axion depends on the success of hybrid systems, so JP spends a lot of time and energy running down EV alternatives.

Yes, which is why he's a huge EV naysayer. His main argument is EVs wastes batteries and micro-hybrids are the best use of batteries (a space that Axion was targeting). Axion has since moved away from micro-hybrid cars (the market just didn't materialize) and focuses more on 18-wheelers, but Petersen's anti-EV talk continues.

Thanks. Was having fun reading the comments on the latest story this morning.

So far, i'm into JP's articles, about halfway in, man, he's been wrong in each and every time. It takes a special kind of pundit to be wrong that often. Seriously, coin flipping is a better predictor.
Hey -- don't underestimate the predictive value of someone who's wrong all the time. Just believe the opposite of what they say, and you have a *great* predictor!

He is so blinded by his hatred of EVs he can't make a logical decision.

At least some people have rescinded, even Fox news supports Tesla now, even after the big Palin/Romney flap.

What has Fox News done that would qualify as supporting Tesla? I'm not denying your assertion. I'm just not aware of anything different from them. The fires weren't exactly reported without bias, but that was true with almost all news sources. If Fox News is coming around, that pretty much leaves John Petersen and Rush Limbaugh as the biggest losers. Well, OK, there's still Sarah, Mitt, and a few others.

Using Edison's analysis to discredit lithium ion batteries as storage for wind and solar power is absurd. When Edison wrote that article in 1883, solar cells had an efficiency of about 1%, wind turbines were just starting to be built, and lithium-ion batteries didn't exist.

Edison also opposed alternating current, and we all know how that turned out.

Using Edison's analysis to discredit lithium ion batteries as storage for wind and solar power is absurd. When Edison wrote that article in 1883, solar cells had an efficiency of about 1%, wind turbines were just starting to be built, and lithium-ion batteries didn't exist.

Edison also opposed alternating current, and we all know how that turned out.

perhaps indicative of the paleolithic assumptive and conclusions.
Some are moving forward, others still intrigued with how flat the earth really is.
Interesting to witness evolution and species differ-cation within a lifetime... :)

Of course (must... not... read...). The economics of battery storage are pretty questionable, unless you, say, consider grid storage like a hybrid battery, where it helps you replace inefficiencies in the system with better inefficiencies. But JP keeps insisting that batteries can't get much cheaper, despite the fact that it's a research-intensive industry with relative low volume. Got demand charges?

What has Fox News done that would qualify as supporting Tesla? I'm not denying your assertion. I'm just not aware of anything different from them. The fires weren't exactly reported without bias, but that was true with almost all news sources. If Fox News is coming around, that pretty much leaves John Petersen and Rush Limbaugh as the biggest losers. Well, OK, there's still Sarah, Mitt, and a few others.

There was something a few weeks after Tesla paid off the loan where Fox was touting them as a success, new auto company, then left out they got they loan.

It was truly funny to see the "reporter" back track... He said the company made it without taking any government money then one of the other pundits pointed out that it was loaned money during the ATVM program, and paid it back, the fox anchor looked surprised.

it will be interesting to see if we hear JP's take on today's megafactory announcement based on his comments below from a Nov/2013 article when he was very negative about Tesla's ability to build a battery factory.
Of course since he has publically stated he has never been wrong about Tesla we'll be anxious to see what he has to say.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1869051-understanding-teslas-giga-scale-battery-challenges

"Since Tesla can't build a giga-factory without $1 to $2.5 billion in additional financing and I don't see how a strategic partner could provide the required funds without defeating the basic goal of Tesla's planned vertical integration into the battery business, I think the market price may continue to deteriorate until the stock price represents a reasonable risk-reward balance that will allow Tesla to raise essential capital on terms that will be attractive to new investors. I'm underwhelmed with Tesla's long-term investment potential and plan to continue watching from the sidelines and commenting when the story is diametrically opposed to the facts."

I believe it was about 15-18 months ago when TSLA was about 150% of AXPW.
JP was very confident that AXPW would surpass TSLA fairly easily.
Today TSLA is just over 2500 times the stock price of AXPW.

Not too surprised he has been quiet.