Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

non-leather seat option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jkirk, is the exterior look of the vehicle not important to you?

You'd pass on the Model S in favour of an EV that looks a bit like a fishbowl just because the manufacturer didn't offer microfibre / cloth seats?

I can understand the hitch rationale if you absolutely need to haul a trailer, but...

That is correct, I do not care much about exterior looks. What I need is a practical EV with a long range, good interior space and yes I sometimes need to haul my trailer around.

I also don't care much whether the 0-60 time is 4 or 12 seconds.

Leather is a renewable resource...

Perhaps so, but it apparently causes a lot of environmental damage to process the hides. I think the tanning process tends to run through huge amounts of water, tainting it with chemicals.

http://www1.american.edu/ted/LEATHER.HTM

Leather Tanning in Woburn
tanning_process_description.png

Hey V, have you ever owned a vehicle with forced air heating & cooling of the front seats?

Both of my Lexus have the perforated leather seats with this feature...even though I'm located far further north than you folks (and use the seat heater more often I'd guess), I'd trade the heated seats in a minute for the comfort of forced air, A/C cooled seats in our short summer up here...to me, it's the ultimate in summer driving comfort!

Never owned but have enjoyed in them. They would be sweeeeeet. I wonder though about all these kind of luxuries in the luxury Model S. The weight of 3 or 8 seat motors is huge. Likewise plumbing air to the seats would have to add weight as well. This will be Tesla's first high end niceties car.

When does lux stop and range start?

With the 300 mile battery...:biggrin::wink:

Never owned but have enjoyed in them. They would be sweeeeeet. I wonder though about all these kind of luxuries in the luxury Model S. The weight of 3 or 8 seat motors is huge. Likewise plumbing air to the seats would have to add weight as well. This will be Tesla's first high end niceties car.

When does lux stop and range start?

With the 300 mile battery...:biggrin::wink:

A year ago few of us Roadster owners here on TMC did a panel survey in the LA area. An unnamed car company was putting togeather a luxury EV and asked us about range. They gave us choices that went something like "Would you prefer a smaller trunk if you got another twenty miles of range to get to 120 miles?" We all told the guy that 120 was not acceptable in the luxury car. One guy pointed out the Model S 300 range and I said that luxury is defined by no compromise. 120 miles is a compromise. He was shocked.

Bang on brother V! :smile:

A year ago few of us Roadster owners here on TMC did a panel survey in the LA area. An unnamed car company was putting togeather a luxury EV and asked us about range. They gave us choices that went something like "Would you prefer a smaller trunk if you got another twenty miles of range to get to 120 miles?" We all told the guy that 120 was not acceptable in the luxury car. One guy pointed out the Model S 300 range and I said that luxury is defined by no compromise. 120 miles is a compromise. He was shocked.

Nissan says the seats on the Leaf are made out of recycled soda bottle material.

But it really isn't about a 'moral' reason for me. I just prefer cloth. I special ordered a Lexus 10 years ago with cloth seats, and the dealer tried very hard to talk me out of it. He argued that luxury cars are always "supposed to have leather."

The seats have held up very well. No rips, tears, or anything like that. The car is never garaged. I think leather would have cracked by now. The seats feel warm in winter, and cool in summer, and are very grippy when going fast around corners.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1506&d=1301031137.jpg

is-cloth.jpg

I have requested microfibre seats in my Signature Model S, and if it is not available I will cancel my Signature Model S and just get a regular one.

I love the microfibre in my Roadster. I think it is much more comfortable on a hot summer day and I like the grip, especially for hard cornering.
I understand that leather may be more spill resistant, but I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
My 911 RS America had cloth sport seats, and with the addition of a 5 point harness, there was no need to put in full racing seats to really feel connected to the car on the racetrack. My Boxster had leather and getting into the car if it had been outside in the sun was an unpleasant experience

If you feel strongly about needing the option of non-leather seats, please email Tesla and tell them so.

I hope they offer an option of no leather throughout the car. The Roadster microfiber option was just for the seats, not the dash/etc (although they are willing to do microfiber there for an additional charge). The Model S has much more leather if the prototype car's interior is accurate. If I can't get that as an option I'd be cancelling my Model S order.

There has been a similar thread on the tesla forums, hope they're listening.

Some of the posters on the official TM kill me...they'd pass up the opportunity to own / lease / drive one of the best engineered cars in the world, one of the best looking cars in the world, a car that eschews crap spewing ICE's that damage our atmosphere, land & water, a car that cuts the umbilical cord to M.E. oil thus providing a boost to your economic and spiritual freedoms, a car that will be an absolutely exhilarating drive, et al ..., all because of a few "dead animal skins".

Political Correctness on steroids I think.

"So let me see...I'm opposed to dead animal skins anywhere in my car, so I'll opt to either purchase another manufacturer's currently inferior EV that probably will not meet my needs, or I'll buy another ICE vehicle ensconsed in polyester & velvet...Yep, that'll learn 'em!"

Some of the posters on the official TM kill me...they'd pass up the opportunity to own / lease / drive one of the best engineered cars in the world, one of the best looking cars in the world, a car that eschews crap spewing ICE's that damage our atmosphere, land & water, a car that cuts the umbilical cord to M.E. oil thus providing a boost to your economic and spiritual freedoms, a car that will be an absolutely exhilarating drive, et al ..., all because of a few "dead animal skins".

"So let me see...I'm opposed to dead animal skins anywhere in my car, so I'll opt to either purchase another manufacturer's currently inferior EV that probably will not meet my needs, or I'll buy another ICE vehicle ensconsed in polyester & velvet...Yep, that'll learn 'em!"

There's extremists in all walks of life unfortunately... look at PETA :(

I suspect a lot of these people were not serious about the Model S to begin with.

There's extremists in all walks of life unfortunately... look at PETA :(

I suspect a lot of these people were not serious about the Model S to begin with.

As a vegetarian I have to say you do not have to be extreme or not serious, or politically correct to make that a deciding factor. I would never buy a new car with leather seats, I'm not even vegan. I would buy a used car with leather, and I will wear second hand leather, but I never buy new products with leather on them. This doesn't seem extreme to me at all, it's not like I refuse to sit on anything made of leather, it's just a very important consideration for me.

As a vegetarian I have to say you do not have to be extreme or not serious, or politically correct to make that a deciding factor. I would never buy a new car with leather seats, I'm not even vegan. I would buy a used car with leather, and I will wear second hand leather, but I never buy new products with leather on them. This doesn't seem extreme to me at all, it's not like I refuse to sit on anything made of leather, it's just a very important consideration for me.

Getting slightly off topic I guess, but can you explain the logic there? You have something against leather, but it's OK if it's second-hand? Is that more to do with putting money in the hand of the people making the product? Technically, if everyone shared your ideals, you wouldn't have something second-hand to buy would you?

I understand Tesla needs to offer 'luxury' options, but i should have the luxury of paying for what I want too :)

Personally, I spend a lot of time in my car and prefer to avoid that wrapped in dead animal skin, for the folks trying to be super-eco I think its been reported by multiple studies that reducing meat intake does more for the environment than driving an eco car. Thats not my primary motivation but a bonus.