Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

non-beta FSD does not see yellow speed limit signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2023.12.5.3 with non-beta FSD. Still waiting for an update and offer of bets, but that is another story.

There are some speed limit signs that are yellow and say things like "25 ramp". The Tesla did not change the speed limit for this type of sign?

Another question. Is the software that controls TACC and Auto Steer different when you have FSD instead of basic auto pilot? I was on 2023.12.5.4 when I did the subscription on 6/1 and it seemed to enable non-beta FSD without sending me an update. However, it seems to me that after subscribing to FSD it is more aggressive when using auto pilot features on semi-rural two lane roads and it seemed that it did not stay in the lane on highways the same way as it did when I had just basic auto pilot. On highways with basic auto pilot it seemed to be more timid and stay right in the center of the lane. Yesterday with navigate on autopilot it seemed to make more adjustments to stay in the lane and seemed to drift more from the dead center of the lane, then make an adjustment.

Could it be that the highway control software when you subscribe to FSD is not the same as when you use just basic auto pilot, perhaps FSD is using neural networks but basic FSD is not?

I have 2023.12.5.3 with non-beta FSD. Still waiting for an update and offer of bets, but that is another story.

There are some speed limit signs that are yellow and say things like "25 ramp". The Tesla did not change the speed limit for this type of sign?
Why should it? Those signs are not legal speed limits--they are recommendations. The idea is that Tesla should be able to determine its own safe speed based on what it sees and "knows" about the particular geometry of that road. Whether it does so successfully is another matter, but that's the idea.
Another question. Is the software that controls TACC and Auto Steer different when you have FSD instead of basic auto pilot? I was on 2023.12.5.4 when I did the subscription on 6/1 and it seemed to enable non-beta FSD without sending me an update. However, it seems to me that after subscribing to FSD it is more aggressive when using auto pilot features on semi-rural two lane roads and it seemed that it did not stay in the lane on highways the same way as it did when I had just basic auto pilot. On highways with basic auto pilot it seemed to be more timid and stay right in the center of the lane. Yesterday with navigate on autopilot it seemed to make more adjustments to stay in the lane and seemed to drift more from the dead center of the lane, then make an adjustment.
Were you passing a truck or going around a sharp curve? This is a new feature of FSD -- it will drift slightly out of center when passing a truck or going around a sharp curve. And yes, this is different software.
Could it be that the highway control software when you subscribe to FSD is not the same as when you use just basic auto pilot, perhaps FSD is using neural networks but basic FSD is not?
They both use NNs (to varying extents), but it is different now (this is a relatively recent change).

Reactions: FlyerDude
FSD (build 2023.26.9, not Beta), is currently slowing down for yellow signs at an intersection that say "40 MPH WHEN FLASHING" when it's flashing, and the same for school zones. However, it only slows down for the sign, and speeds back up for the intersection or the school.o_O

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyerDude
FSD (build 2023.26.9, not Beta), is currently slowing down for yellow signs at an intersection that say "40 MPH WHEN FLASHING" when it's flashing, and the same for school zones. However, it only slows down for the sign, and speeds back up for the intersection or the school.o_O
It can't "read/see" any signs other than standard Speed Limit and Stop signs. It is slowing based on the conditions like curve of the road. Yellow signs are NOT speed Limit signs but safety suggestions.

EDIT: It does see flashing yellow and will often slow while "deciding" if it is a Traffic Signal (Red) light.

It can't "read/see" any signs other than standard Speed Limit and Stop signs. It is slowing based on the conditions like curve of the road. Yellow signs are NOT speed Limit signs but safety suggestions.

EDIT: It does see flashing yellow and will often slow while "deciding" if it is a Traffic Signal (Red) light.

As Road Guy Rob says, read the white sign and then add “or you get a ticket”. Anything happens while not following the yellow signs and “that’s between you and your insurance company”.

In California, a yellow speed limit sign is only a recommendation. Most states adopted CalTrans standards decades ago.