Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOA sent me the opposite Interstate direction (pic)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is NoA got confused on which lane it was in (not necessarily because of poor GPS) Even as a human sometimes you get that wrong end up crossing a couple lanes to correct yourself at the last second but NoA won’t do that.

Was the original route correct?
Comparing the answer from Watts_up to this one, this one seems a little more likely. Although GPS has gotten somewhat more accurate I think we have all seen GPS systems get confused between two parallel roads that are close together, like a highway and its access road. For that reason that I doubt that Tesla relies on GPS to know what lane the car is in. Instead it is relying on clues from the video system at least to know whether the car is in the #1 vs the #2 lane.

Given that recognizing the need to make a U-turn is an event that is some number of seconds distant in time from the incorrect decision, one hopes that the learning system has the capability to use that information to improve the decision making.

Hi OP,

How bad was the early morning traffic? If it was heavy, that might explain it. If 33B is bogged down, it would be faster to take 33A and take the 85 north on-ramp and merge at the end of the 33B ramp. Google maps has suggested this to me many times while in ATL rush hour.

For those that never been to Atlanta, essentially, if you're driving on 285 eastbound, even if you took the 85 south exit, there is a path to take you onto 85 north. These looparounds is how spaghetti junction got its name.

FYI: I don't own a model 3 but was browsing for info to do research.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlenF