Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No psi showing with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my winter tires put on and noticed as I drove away that the car no longer tells me the psi on the tires. I did get tpms sensors for them so shouldn’t it be showing? Is there something I need to do to get it to work or something the tire place needs to do?

It may take some time for it to "sync up" . Check it over the next 2-3 days, and if it still doesnt show up then you might consider taking it back to whoever installed them for you.

Also, try going through the menu's and making sure you have the correct size tires selected.

Ok thanks. I did call the tire center and they told me the same thing. Also told me sometimes the car gets confused when you still have the other set of tires in it so he said to wait until I take them out and drive around a bit. So I’ll have to wait til I get home and have a chance to take the other set out of the car.

Did the car pop up a note saying it noticed that new tires/wheels were installed?

There is a new menu item for wheel choices. You might try changing that to see if it causes it to learn the new TPMS.

I had put new wheels & tires with new TPMS on my model 3 and the car noticed, and learned the new TPS the same day in a short amount of driving.

Yes I did notice that on the way home. Looking at the menu items, there's one for wheel choices and one for resetting TPMS too. Looking at the wheel choices it just says that's so the car can estimate range better and the only choice for 18" tires is with AERO wheels. My winter tires are 18" but don't have AERO wheels. I picked that anyway because that's the right size, but they need to give an option for 18" tires without the AERO wheel covers since that will affect range.

I have not done a TPMS reset yet. I haven't driven it since getting home and taking the other set of tires out so I want to drive it first and see if the car figures it out on its own.

Thanks for the help!

Yes I did notice that on the way home. Looking at the menu items, there's one for wheel choices and one for resetting TPMS too. Looking at the wheel choices it just says that's so the car can estimate range better and the only choice for 18" tires is with AERO wheels. My winter tires are 18" but don't have AERO wheels. I picked that anyway because that's the right size, but they need to give an option for 18" tires without the AERO wheel covers since that will affect range.

I have not done a TPMS reset yet. I haven't driven it since getting home and taking the other set of tires out so I want to drive it first and see if the car figures it out on its own.

Did your car ever sort this out? I ran into the same problem yesterday when I had new aero wheels with TPMS and winter tires put on my car. The TPMS reset failed, and the display shows no psi.

I'm gonna guess that your TPMS sensors aren't compatible with the 3. IIRC, they changed TPMS sensors in the middle ot the Model S's existence and maybe the installer got ones for a 'Tesla" and called it a day.

FWIW, I (and I assume many others) got winter tires/wheels/TPMS and they synced right up(after moving... TPMS sensors sleep after a short period of being stopped). Within 30 seconds of driving the car noticed them and asked what size wheels they were on.

Here are the exact ones I got...

TPMS Sensors & Black Valve Stems For 2018 Tesla Model 3 HUF RDE051V21 (4) pcs | eBay

I'm gonna guess that your TPMS sensors aren't compatible with the 3. IIRC, they changed TPMS sensors in the middle ot the Model S's existence and maybe the installer got ones for a 'Tesla" and called it a day.

FWIW, I (and I assume many others) got winter tires/wheels/TPMS and they synced right up(after moving... TPMS sensors sleep after a short period of being stopped). Within 30 seconds of driving the car noticed them and asked what size wheels they were on.

I bought OEM 18 aeros and OEM TPMS from the Tesla service center in Westmont. I decided to get Michelin X-Ice I3 for a Chicago winter instead of the OEM Pirellis that come with the Tesla winter set.

It took until today for the car to notice that it had new wheels and to ask me to do the wheel size setting in the service menu. After putting some expressway driving on the tires I tested the TPMS card and all four psi pressures were displayed. I think the installer at Discount Tire picked the TPMS learn setting instead of the wheel size setting when he finished the installation. That probably confused the car.

Mine finally started to work, but showed the psi around 39-40 so I went by the tire place and had them check it. The car was reading it correctly so I had them add air to put up around 45. They actually put it up to 47 because it's cold out. I think when I had the tires changed, they filled them to 40 like they would for most cars and didn't check what it should be for the Tesla.