Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more leasing in SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is new...to me. I've been lurking on Tesla.com building a Model X and guesstimating leasing costs for some time now. Now I see that Tesla will not be allowed to lease to a SC registrant. I spoke with an advisor via chat and he said this has been for some time. I expressed to him that it can't be true because I built one just last week and got a call from an advisor asking me to move forward and providing options to end my MYLR lease early.

Does anyone here know what happened? did SC just become even more erratic in terms of governance?

From the order page:

Tesla leasing is currently available in AL, AK, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WV, WY.

The reason:

“…seven states do not allow Tesla leases due to local dealership laws. That includes Delaware, Kentucky, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Wisconsin…”

Looks like this has been in place since at least October 2023. For example,