Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Frunk Bag Hooks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, this needs to be said. This is a $45-75k car. And we are screaming to the heavens about a cheap plastic hook? Really? I have a Toyota Venza that has hooks. Not once have I used them.

I get it, they took something away that we thought was going to be there. Not good. They also gave us longer range, more power, streaming video, one touch driving, a venting feature... all for FREE. How many here were -expecting- that? If Tesla holds true to form, it won't stop there.

So let's get some perspective here before we all hire lawyers and start a class action lawsuit. If you think you are being screwed over a $1 part, feel free to cancel your reservation.
You make an excellent point.

It's actually pretty normal for little features like this to get removed over time if they aren't a key part of the car. Most manufacturers do it. Ford has a history of doing this with the Mustang, though in that case it often involves the motor rather than convenience features. For example, my 2011 Mustang GT, first of the new 5.0 DOHC engines, had oil "squirters" under the pistons. I think the very next year they stopped putting them in to cut costs. Then other years prior they did things like switch from stronger forged pistons to cast. Stuff like that.

I do hope they continue to provide accessory options for stuff like this. I was a little sad to learn of no homelink, but then was happy again when I discovered you can have it added on after the fact. I'll probably buy the frunk mat too. I don't care about the hooks either, but it would be nice if they offered them (or just a filler piece) for improved aesthetics if nothing else.

Most critics of Tesla cite profitability above all else. If these changes improve their profitability, I'm ok with that. There are positives and negatives in these types of changes, and hopefully Tesla is good as ensuring the positives outweigh the negatives. Tesla is an important company because of their mission, so admittedly I tend to cut them some slack on this kind of stuff.

Reactions: SMAlset and dmurphy
It's actually pretty normal for little features like this to get removed over time if they aren't a key part of the car. Most manufacturers do it. Ford has a history of doing this with the Mustang, though in that case it often involves the motor rather than convenience features. For example, my 2011 Mustang GT, first of the new 5.0 DOHC engines, had oil "squirters" under the pistons. I think the very next year they stopped putting them in to cut costs. Then other years prior they did things like switch from stronger forged pistons to cast. Stuff like that.

I do hope they continue to provide accessory options for stuff like this. I was a little sad to learn of no homelink, but then was happy again when I discovered you can have it added on after the fact. I'll probably buy the frunk mat too. I don't care about the hooks either, but it would be nice if they offered them (or just a filler piece) for improved aesthetics if nothing else.

Most critics of Tesla cite profitability above all else. If these changes improve their profitability, I'm ok with that. There are positives and negatives in these types of changes, and hopefully Tesla is good as ensuring the positives outweigh the negatives. Tesla is an important company because of their mission, so admittedly I tend to cut them some slack on this kind of stuff.

Did you just purchase a model 3? The annoyance comes from the surprise at delivery. If customers aren't vocal about these "little feature reductions" they will continue with this practice. As a Model S owner - each year I saw how the cars evolved and got better over time in all categories. We take a leap of faith buying cars sight unseen, buyers have a short amount time to evaluate the vehicle for defects only to find features removed as standard without any official declaration. "yeah, I guess no frunk hooks \_(ツ)_/¯..."

If you care about Tesla's corporate profit then this needs to stop. Stupid, trivial, stuff such as this hurts the brand. This coming from someone who has owned multiple Tesla's, is a stock owner, and certified fanboy. I took delivery a week ago and the car is a work of art.

It's not normal. Would any manufacturer handle Homelink in the same fashion?

I would think that most folks would have happily paid an extra $1K for these things upfront as part of the vehicle price - premium option.

Common in the industry. Called decontenting. Our GMC Acadia years ago came without the glovebox light that was in the 2007's. It meant exactly.... nothing.

Calling for class action lawsuits and petitions and stuff is just ridiculous.

Tesla is becoming more like an actual automotive company - model years and everything. Some of that is good, some of that is bad. Frankly, growing up a bit so they can actually, you know, still be here far outweighs the bad.

Either the tooling was too expensive, or the manufacturing, or the time to install them, or the breakage rate in assembly, or maybe their supplier had a factory fire caused by an electrical surge from a possum chewing on an electrical line and shorting it out, and can't supply them for a while? Who the hell knows why they make decisions, but it's not like someone woke up and said, "You know what'll REALLY piss 'em off? Getting rid of these hooks!"

There's a myriad of reasons why they do what they do, almost none of which are obvious to us. Maybe they break off and become projectiles in a crash. Maybe they rattle and cause NVH complaints. Almost anything's possible.

Common in the industry. Called decontenting. Our GMC Acadia years ago came without the glovebox light that was in the 2007's. It meant exactly.... nothing.

Calling for class action lawsuits and petitions and stuff is just ridiculous.

Tesla is becoming more like an actual automotive company - model years and everything. Some of that is good, some of that is bad. Frankly, growing up a bit so they can actually, you know, still be here far outweighs the bad.

Either the tooling was too expensive, or the manufacturing, or the time to install them, or the breakage rate in assembly, or maybe their supplier had a factory fire caused by an electrical surge from a possum chewing on an electrical line and shorting it out, and can't supply them for a while? Who the hell knows why they make decisions, but it's not like someone woke up and said, "You know what'll REALLY piss 'em off? Getting rid of these hooks!"

There's a myriad of reasons why they do what they do, almost none of which are obvious to us. Maybe they break off and become projectiles in a crash. Maybe they rattle and cause NVH complaints. Almost anything's possible.

I bet they did it the right way...did your Arcadia leave a empty hole where the light use to be? Was that glovebox light featured in hundreds of youtube videos showcasing that glovebox? A possum....perhaps one of Santa's reindeer's just didnt like the hooks...lol

Perhaps taking a day off from work to get the front of your model 3 disassembled for a homelink install makes sense to you. Oh I guess, most electric vehicle owners don't have garages. No one is calling for a class action lawsuit - calm down.

Reactions: hmmwv
I bet they did it the right way...did your Arcadia leave a empty hole where the light use to be? Was that glovebox light featured in hundreds of youtube videos showcasing that glovebox? A possum....perhaps one of Santa's reindeer's just didnt like the hooks...lol

Perhaps taking a day off from work to get the front of your model 3 disassembled for a homelink install makes sense to you. Oh I guess, most electric vehicle owners don't have garages. No one is calling for a class action lawsuit - calm down.

No, wasn't done the right way - the Acadia had a hole in the side of the glovebox where the light used to clip in. Nobody pulling out a 25 cent light bulb is going to build a new mold for the dashboard housing.

Can't a mobile ranger install the homelink module? Then they can do it anywhere - work, home, whatever.

I agree, it's frustrating and should be easier to install. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that the HomeLink license fee went up since Gentex bought HomeLink. Tesla probably had a license that was due for renewal, and Gentex stuck it to them. I've seen a bunch of that kind of nonsense before... So rather than absorb it, they made a decision to make the module optional. Unfortunately it was never designed to be optional, so we get the trainwreck of a process we have right now.

And I absolutely saw someone up above in the previous 11 pages calling for a class action lawsuit....

Last edited:
No, the Acadia had a hole in the side of the glovebox where the light used to clip in.

Can't a mobile ranger install the homelink module? Then they can do it anywhere - work, home, whatever. And I absolutely saw someone up above in the previous 11 pages calling for a class action lawsuit.... edit: No Frunk Bag Hooks

No, I wasn't offered mobile ranger for this service. This doesn't merit a class action. My only ask is that they make the items available for purchase so they can be added later. (hooks, lights, mats, etc.)

Did you just purchase a model 3? The annoyance comes from the surprise at delivery. If customers aren't vocal about these "little feature reductions" they will continue with this practice. As a Model S owner - each year I saw how the cars evolved and got better over time in all categories.

Clearly you've never spoken to a Model S owner who had a pre-AP2 car and then got a newer one and now can't get his auto wipers to work very well because Tesla decided to save $2/car and remove the rain sensor.

Or one who used to have vented seats but now can't get them in a new one.

The idea Tesla never removed cost, hardware, or features before the 3 is simply not true at all.

We take a leap of faith buying cars sight unseen, buyers have a short amount time to evaluate the vehicle for defects only to find features removed as standard without any official declaration. "yeah, I guess no frunk hooks \_(ツ)_/¯..."

If you care about Tesla's corporate profit then this needs to stop. Stupid, trivial, stuff such as this hurts the brand.

Does it?

Because I'd bet most of those taking delivery didn't even know it HAD frunk hooks. Remember- most new 3 owners are not coming from a Tesla.

And Tesla keeps getting more orders than they are able to build cars to fill- so the brand seems fine so far.

The info I heard was that they were never meant to be bag hooks at all and were simply "screw covers".
One service center even delayed delivery of a few vehicles at first because they thought the "frunk hooks" were missing.
Maybe complaints (breakage from too many heavy shopping bags?) caused Tesla to stop including them?
I also confirmed that they stopped including the door pocket lights, but the hole (under the door handle) is still there to add after market options.

The info I heard was that they were never meant to be bag hooks at all and were simply "screw covers".
One service center even delayed delivery of a few vehicles at first because they thought the "frunk hooks" were missing.
Maybe complaints (breakage from too many heavy shopping bags?) caused Tesla to stop including them?
I also confirmed that they stopped including the door pocket lights, but the hole (under the door handle) is still there to add after market options.

That makes sense - the hooks do seem be very flimsy. I can see them being a problem when they break in use knowing the intended purpose was service bolt access.

The slot for the pocket light is there. Seems like a LED is present. software? IMG_0775.jpeg

That makes sense - the hooks do seem be very flimsy. I can see them being a problem when they break in use knowing the intended purpose was service bolt access.

The slot for the pocket light is there. Seems like a LED is present. software?View attachment 475302

makes me wonder if maybe they ran out of lenses, and rather than delay delivery, they sent them out as-is? Maybe they have a plastics supplier that went offline? Who knows - could be anything ...

This thread is hilarious. But I wanted to give my 2 cents anyway.
I think skimping on these things make the car look and feel cheap. It's not a cheap car, so I wish they would keep these small details. I would happily pay the price increase they would need to keep them in (if savings is the reason why they aren't included). If it costs them $50 to add hooks and mats in the car, increase the price by $100. I can certainly buy it from the store, but I've had my old TM3 for 8 months now and they still haven't managed to ship the mode2 charging cable that was supposed to be included.

I know I'm going to miss the hooks. I almost exclusively use the frunk. Keeping grocery bags in place, holding bags with sparkling wine, take-away (though, it is a bit too cold in there during Norwegian winter if you want hot chow mein).

This would be hilarious if true...

"Tesla buyers outraged at removal of feature that wasn't ever actually meant to be a feature"