Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No blindspot warning on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP1 shows cars in the adjacent lanes, AP2, and newer, do not. (Though it usually shows them when you turn the turn signals on.)

Patience guys, adjacent lane detection is coming soon....

(...)Sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that the only new feature is the ability of Autopilot 2.0 to detect and render on the instrument cluster vehicles driving in lanes adjacent to the lane in which the Tesla vehicle is driving. (...)

Tesla starts beta-testing new Autopilot update with new feature and more advanced neural net

The same will happen sooner or later to blind spot detection.

View attachment 283001

The manual, Pg 73 Lane Assist (standard not AP), says it has BSD, but it shows arcs in varying colors (red close, orange, yellow, white) on the screen.

Does this exist?

Thanks for this. I checked my January 3, 2018 owner's manual (they sent me a copy ahead of the car since it's going to be trucked to me and I won't get a walk-through at a delivery center) and it does say that within a specific speed range it will show lines on the display when there's a car nearby. This is good, if it's active. It would be a lot better if the display showed outlines of all nearby cars.

I still think Tesla should get rid of its EAP/FSD department and lease Google's technology. But perhaps at this point that would require entirely different hardware.

• Disagree
Reactions: avoigt and MP3Mike
I don't think asking the human driver to look for blue arcs around the car graphic on the display when making a lane change is well thought out. Maybe we can relearn, but many more than 1 avoidable accident will ensure during this training.

The manual says several times over, Don't rely on theses indicators, as many things can interfere. Always check your mirrors.

Reactions: DR61 and avoigt
They do kinda have it with those proximity warning lines. My car arrived at 4:30 yesterday afternoon, but by the time it was off the truck and I had figured out enough to be able to drive it, it was getting dark. This morning I'll take it out and see how well those lines work as blind spot detectors.

They do kinda have it with those proximity warning lines. My car arrived at 4:30 yesterday afternoon, but by the time it was off the truck and I had figured out enough to be able to drive it, it was getting dark. This morning I'll take it out and see how well those lines work as blind spot detectors.

Keep us posted! I just think it will be less than ideal to have to glance over to see the lines. I’ve heard it won’t automatically change lanes if there is something in the way but at a minimum the idea of a chime or notification noise if you turn your blinker on when something is in the blind spot or in the way would be ideal.

Keep us posted! I just think it will be less than ideal to have to glance over to see the lines. I’ve heard it won’t automatically change lanes if there is something in the way but at a minimum the idea of a chime or notification noise if you turn your blinker on when something is in the blind spot or in the way would be ideal.

They are very emphatic that no warning system is a substitute for looking in the mirrors. And there's no blind spot if the mirrors are adjusted properly.

Reactions: DR61
They are very emphatic that no warning system is a substitute for looking in the mirrors. And there's no blind spot if the mirrors are adjusted properly.

Perhaps that's what they are going to do with the customer facing camera, use it to align the side mirrors perfectly as you change seat position or driver.

I got the camera-based Bliss on my Volvo and it does really suffer at twilight. I supposed I have used it, but more I have tuned it out, like the flashing neon outside your cheap hotel room. I am excited to hand that whole task off to the car. When I want to change lanes, let the car know and sit back.

-Randy

And there's no blind spot if the mirrors are adjusted properly.
Are you finding that to be true for your Model 3? Someone else at some point posted they couldn't get their Model 3 side mirrors adjusted to have no blind spot. Also, when you say "no blind spot" are you referring to car-sized objects or does that include smaller things like motorcycles. I've never been in any car where you didn't have a blind spot for motorcycles.

Are you finding that to be true for your Model 3? Someone else at some point posted they couldn't get their Model 3 side mirrors adjusted to have no blind spot. Also, when you say "no blind spot" are you referring to car-sized objects or does that include smaller things like motorcycles. I've never been in any car where you didn't have a blind spot for motorcycles.

And for motorcycles you absolutely have to be able to see directly back along the lane line to see approaching lane splitting motorcycles, so you can't adjust the mirror too wide.

You have to question whether Tesla should be selling EAP/FSD, if they can't even provide a reliable blind spot warning system.

EAP is a misnomer. It's not auto-pilot. It's a collection of driver aids that do some useful things. Mine is too new for me to weigh in, but people seem to like them. And Tesla is not selling FSD. Tesla is selling a promise to install FSD software "when it becomes available."

After just one mostly-freeway trip of 40 miles I cannot say definitively, but I feel that I get a full view of the road by using the rear-view mirror, and side mirrors, and by glancing over my shoulder. I feel that the Model 3 is as good as any car I've had, and better than some rental cars I've driven. I reserve the right to change my mind as I accumulate more miles. I need more time behind the wheel to experience situations where I see a car approaching, to follow it and see if I lose it at any point. I try to be aware of motorcycles, but I don't pretend to be better at it than the next driver.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61
I always do an over the shoulder check. I find I only need a small turn to cover the small blind spot left after proper mirror adjustment. This covers motorcycles and the like. It would be nice if Model 3 had a configurable audible warning when signalling to change lanes (I always signal). Light in side mirror sounds useful, but maybe I can get used to glancing at the wavy lines around the car icon on the screen. Probably not to hard to get into that habit. Plus, I assume as some point, the car will be able to actively steer to avoid such collisions, if imminent.

I support pusing for blindspot warning in the Tesla.
I got my M3 Dec 2019. I have FSD. If Tesla car can advance towards self drive, why is blindspot detection so difficult?
When I take the car out to go the grocery store nearby, I want to be protected by that safety feature.
I see the latest post is Mar 2018! I am surprised no one else is posting about the subject since.
Even a $20k car has blindspot warning which I think is one of the best safety features in a car.
Can anyone point out why this subject seems to have exhausted discussions?
Please don't tell me I should just use the side mirrors!

I support pusing for blindspot warning in the Tesla.
I got my M3 Dec 2019. I have FSD. If Tesla car can advance towards self drive, why is blindspot detection so difficult?
When I take the car out to go the grocery store nearby, I want to be protected by that safety feature.
I see the latest post is Mar 2018! I am surprised no one else is posting about the subject since.
Even a $20k car has blindspot warning which I think is one of the best safety features in a car.
Can anyone point out why this subject seems to have exhausted discussions?
Please don't tell me I should just use the side mirrors!

One reason the discussion is probably exhausted is the car has blind-spot detection and warnings

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Page 128.